Used 2012 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Most Helpful|
Does everything well
By michel12

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I recently purchased a 2012 GTI with a DSG transmission and I think I like it. This is a car that does everything well: comfortable, fun to drive, excellent build quality, practical. My only criticism is with the DSG transmission. While the car is really fun to drive on Tiptronic, the Drive (D) mode is sluggish because the transmission shifts gears at very low speeds which makes it unresponsive especially on steep climbs, where it constantly hunts for the best gear. For those who don't mind driving a car with a manual transmission, I would advise to stay away from the DSG.

Favorite Features

Build quality, comfort, fun to drive, practical.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the DSG transmission to shift gears at higher speeds while on Drive (D) mode, it will improve performances on that mode and eliminate the hunting issue when climbing steep hills.

Be Careful
By jmp9

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought the 2012 GTI last week. So far: non-linear acceleration i.e. the pedal has about two inches of dead travel before the car reacts and then it engages and the car shoots forward, which makes it very dicey in traffic. Over rough pavement the dash and the A pillars buzz like a hornet. I couldn't have a bigger case of buyer's remorse. Will VW fix this? Maybe they will surprise me; if not I'll follow every nuance of the Ohio Lemon Law and they can buy it back.

Favorite Features

The interior is well equipped. Fit and finish are nice, which makes me wonder how I could have all of the buzzing in the dash over rough pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Won't know until VW either this right.

So far so good
By deeperseoul

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My first VW ever and digging it!. I've always had interest in GTI and there was 0% apr opportunity back in July. One test drive pretty much sold me the car. My attachment of this car is almost equal to the time when i got my first car back in 1988(Nissan Maxima). Although, brand new car picked up from the dealer was already defective with faulty head light ballester, it has not given me any other issues so far. I see why people rave about this car...driving this car is very gratifying. It may not be the most powerful or reliable car but for me, this car has more personality than competitors.

Favorite Features

Bi xenon headlights with Audi like LED DRLs. High quality interior. Well sorted and solid feeling chassis.

Suggested Improvements

Panorama sunroof option would be a nice touch for next gen MK7.

2 weeks and already down for repair
By kkastner

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the Euro-feel of the car, hate the owner experience...only two weeks in and already proving to be what I feared it would be. Flywheel was defective and the car has 600 miles on it. Sitting outside at the dealer in the rain with the transmission out. Waiting for VW parts. Not encouraging, especially given that I've already been down a negative road with VW/Audi in the past. If this one lemons out, it will be the 3rd out of 4 cars that VW is going to buy back. 1995 Golf (my first ever new car) - bought back by VW with engine and wheel bearing issues (1,200 miles) 2000 Audi A4 - great, never had a problem 2004 Audi Allroad - bought back by VW/Audi with electrical issues 2012 GTI - TBD

Favorite Features

Solid feel, creature comforts, fun to drive, relative bang for the buck

Suggested Improvements

Quality control, get rid of dual mass flywheels and stop outsourcing to 3rd world parts manufacturers!

The 50-mile review
By nkanafan

2012 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is a 50 mile "first impressions" for my GTI autobahn, DSG, 4dr. The plethora of positive reviews online are right: excellent build quality, amazing driving dynamics, quiet smooth ride for size, excellent brakes, and great looking with a squat, low stance. The DSG takes getting used to and does feel hesitant at first but "squirts" you around town. As with previous GTIs, torque is abundant. I put two boosters and a nine year old in the back no problem! They are skinny though. Issues. There are a few minor ergonomic foibles. With the correct driving position for me, the steering wheel obstructs the top of speedo. Some controls are too low and parts of them cannot be visualized.

Favorite Features

As above. Could be considered expensive, but for the price, the standard equipment list is long and quality is high. This car is really in its own class, making price comparisons tricky. This car is stellar. Buy it.

Suggested Improvements

Enlarge LCD screen Improve control placement Improve immediate throttle response