2012 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Wow! What a blast!
By gti12 on 03/28/14 20:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car... fun to drive, well made, roomy and comfortable. Great MPG and performance too! Recently returned from a trip from Eureka, CA to Palm Springs. Returned via Santa Barbara, then up the coast on Hwy 1. Great drive. 29MPG average for whole trip... was better until the leg up Hwy 1.

Driver's car
By foggnm on 04/03/13 11:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Because I drive so little (4000 miles/yr), I wanted something sporty, stylish, and most of all fun! So after trying several other cars the past 2 years, I found exactly what I wanted in a GTI. It has the perfect balance of sport, economy, and adult-styling. It is quick, but not gas-wasting fast. It is nicely outfitted on the inside, has a wonderful exhaust/turbo sound, and looks sharp from the outside. This car is a bit pricey new, but I found mine one year used with 6000 miles for an awesome price. Got the model with navigation which also has the attractive and functional bi-xenon/LED lights. I'm sure there are longer lasting, more reliable cars, but life's too short not to enjoy your car.

My Third GTi ...
By bobatglp on 01/25/13 12:53 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owned a 1996 GTi (4 cyl), 2004 GTi (VR6) and now a new "left over" 2012 GTi 4-door with the DSG automatic and moonroof and nav package. A really solid, well put-together car with a great mix of style, sportiness, economy, and utility. After two cars with maual transmissions I opted for the DSG this time with no regrets. Really like the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Lots of fun. Couldn't deal with the cost of an all-wheel-drive Golf R, so I "settled" for the GTi. No regrets.

So Far, Love this Car
By caseydog3 on 01/15/13 19:27 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After buying a new 2012 VW passat in July 2012, I decided to trade it in for a new 2012 GTI. While the passat was a nice BIG family sedan, I wanted to drive something fun and sporty. Also, I was having alot of trouble seeing at night with the Passat. Anyway, I got the new GTI over the weekend. It is so entirely different than the passat. I can understand why people say they look forward to driving it everyday. I feel the same way. The visibility, comfort and feel of the car is so great. It's smaller, but still has plenty of room. I find that I'm playing the stereo less now because I like listening to the sound of the engine and the turbo.

A ride above the rest!
By cjcanada on 01/09/13 08:20 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is my first VW and it's been great! I bought my fully loaded 2012 gti in July 2012 and now have almost 12K on it (7400 Miles) and have had no issues. I have even taken it on a road trip from Alberta Canada to California and back (5600 km) and no issues whatsoever. This is a great car and fun to drive. I have no rattles or issues with this car so far. Love this car! Very few dislikes. I would recommend this car as a daily fun commuter car. I have the DSG and love it! Sport mode revs too high though. The car is a little light on the front end. Spin the tires often.

1-yr Review
By shdwblumkvi on 12/23/12 18:50 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2012 6MT shadow blue GTI 1 year ago today. Here is my 1 Year Review. After 365 days of owning a brand new GTI, my first VW, I can say it has been great. But along with the good, I've had to accept some problems. My fuel injector failed at 20k miles and left me on the side of the road. This is a common weakness of the GTI. If you want reliable and dependable, buy a Honda. If you want German and high performance, expect to have some issues with this car. Some people have zero problems. You may get lucky. But plan on not being so lucky. I love driving this car, but don't know if I will keep it once the warranty is over. Expect to have problems, but it is a wonderful car.

So far so good
By deeperseoul on 11/17/12 19:04 PM (PST)

My first VW ever and digging it!. I've always had interest in GTI and there was 0% apr opportunity back in July. One test drive pretty much sold me the car. My attachment of this car is almost equal to the time when i got my first car back in 1988(Nissan Maxima). Although, brand new car picked up from the dealer was already defective with faulty head light ballester, it has not given me any other issues so far. I see why people rave about this car...driving this car is very gratifying. It may not be the most powerful or reliable car but for me, this car has more personality than competitors.

2nd Mark 6 GTI for me
By shadrach2 on 09/22/12 09:24 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owned a first gen GTI from '83 to '95 and decided in '10 that it was time to go back. Manual, cloth). Lease up in 7 months so contacted my excellent dealer who hooked me up with a "can't say no" deal on a new '12, full boat GTI. Well, I liked my '10 and I have to say that I like the '12 even more. I've been driving manuals for 35 years now and thought I'd never give the nod to a non-manual. But the DSG, dual clutch deal in the GTI is amazing. Telematics is way improved over '10. Interior with leather is classier. Mileage is super. Just a total win.

First 30 days - Flawless
By harlequin1971 on 08/07/12 20:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I purchased my GTI a month ago and have driven it on a few 50+ mile rides and many shorter trips and can say that it has delivered on all the gripes I had with my 08 GLI. Traded out the manual for the DSG and it makes city driving much more peaceful, but the ability to go to the paddles for more spirited runs is just a flick away. The car is quiet - more so than my GLI had been. Getting 24-25 mpg on each tank with mainly city driving. Seems like 33mpg is possible on a road trip if you stay off the after burner. Wish I would have stepped up to the sunroof/convenience package, but otherwise, I am very happy - this one is a keeper!

2012 MK6 GTI
By alfrnas on 08/05/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The car is just amazing, very fun to drive. very nice exhaust system sound. excellent dual clutch gear box. the sporty steering wheel and the sporty seats gives you all the feeling of the sport car. loved it and recommend it for as a daily, mid-sporty use car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$142 per month*