Not so good after 5 Months
By englander1 on
2011 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
Well I blame myself for not doing my homework, but reliability has been less than poor. Three times in the shop for Oil Separator, Water Pump and Oil Pressure Sensor. Like many state VW Customer Service is terrible. When its not in the shop its a great car. Handles well, fuel consumption is also a big plus. I don't tend to keep cars long but this may be a record even for me, may be gone for the first oil change.
Favorite Features
I do like the interior and DSG transmission. Handling is taught and mid range performance good. At higher RPM the engine runs out of puff.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability VW....I guess I am back to buying Japanese....
By ttbuyer
on 02/05/12 08:20 AM (PST)

My VW experience was very similar to yours. I always advise people to STAY AWAY from VW/Audi products. VW builds an appealing (on paper) car, but cannot seem to actually assemble a reliable car. Really, why cant't they? Even the Korean companies have vastly improved their quality but VW continues to believe that mediocre is good enough. What is really telling is that VW (as a company) maintains a "blame the customer" attitude. Very arrogant for a company that is peddling sub-par products. I will look at the Abarth 500 when it comes out in March. It appears that even FIAT has gotten serious about improving quality (unlike VW). I like many things about the new GTi but will not buy another VW probably ever.