Great, fun, reliable car
By bodhizuffa on
2011 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
I traded a Nissan Titan for this about a year ago when gas prices began to rise. I was worried about not having a large, practical vehicle with plenty of storage. I can say, with a bike rack installed, I haven't had any issues with space or being able to haul stuff home from Target or Lowe's. There is lots of room with the rear seats folded down. I live in NC so no experience with snow yet. The car is fun to drive (especially around town), gets very good gas mileage even with premium gas, the DSG transmission is great, and the interior is at least one price point above the GTI. I have almost 10,000 miles on it, drive it pretty hard, and haven't had one quality/reliability issue.
Favorite Features
DSG, great touch screen with Sirius/XM, iPod integration. Stereo is good (not great). Front seats are fantastic, with excellent lateral support. Looks great - get lots of people looking and asking questions about it. Wheels are sweet. Interior in general is well laid out, ergonomically sound, nice feel materials. Exhaust sounds cool - a little bit of throat but not like a rice burner with one of those weed whacker exhaust - downshifts are the best. German handling feel - especially with the steering, always feel locked in, good center, with great road feedback but not too much road noise. Thule bike rack fits great.
Suggested Improvements
A little more interior storage. Center console is a joke. And maybe a couple more cupholders? A tight fit for taller folks (I'm 6'-2" if you're taller you may have issues). You can't have the front seats all the way back and still get the rear seats to fold flat. Turbo lag - not sure if it's lag or the way they designed the throttle, but it takes a while to get used to launching as intended. It's not consistent, but sometimes when I get on it to pull out into traffic, it will sometimes wait for a good second or two to decide to deliver gas or for the turbo to spool - then it's tire-spin city. It can be frustrating. I will talk to techs about it when I take it for 10,000 service.