2011 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
More fun than than I thought possible
By dr_pangloss on 01/25/11 05:44 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was expecting to buy an Audi A4 or A3 and I drove the GTI on a whim. It's a good thing that I did this because I bought the the 2011 model almost immediately. This car is unbelievably fun to drive and it's economical, practical, reasonably priced (29k for the Autobahn package) and compares very favorably to every other car in it's class. The interior has an Audi build quality but costs a couple k less and the VW warranty is now better than Audi. The amenities included in many ways trump the Audis as well. For instance, the Bluetooth package on the GTI has the A2DP streaming protocol included as part of the base features. Not on the Audis, you'll pay extra & lose your iPod integration too.

Great car so far
By mgbayer on 12/31/10 14:04 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have only had for a couple of days but wife has 09 version. Biggest differences are exterior styling and much better interior. Haven't pushed it yet to know what the XDS is all about but really fun to drive.

A great little car - so far
By skicat on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car because I enjoyed it so much during the test drive and I was looking for a relaible and economical alternative to my truck. Other family memebers have had great luck vith VW's, so I thought I would give the GTI a shot and I'm glad I did. In three weeks I have tallied 1400 miles and the car has performed flawlessly. I would strongly recommend this ride, however if you buy this car opt for the extended warranty (5yr - 100000 miles) for piece of mind reasons if nothing else. Most dealerships will give you a discount on the warranty if you demand it!

Smiles all around
By bucknut on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought in September and now have just over 3,000 miles. Always puts smile on my face. Is it the fastest in it's class, no. Reality is after the first week or two... how many 0-60 trials are you really doing? I wanted sporty, fun, fast that could still get the fam around. My finalists were BMW 328i, Audi A4, GTI, and CC. Questioned reliability of BMW recently, Audi was my choice, but ultimately was able to get more features but same fit & finish in the VW for less. Liked the CC which but I felt I really needed the flexibility of the middle seat. Hello GTI, hello smiles, waves, thumbs ups from onlookers. I get seat of the pants fun w/mpg like my Honda. Can't beat German handling & feel

German Greatness, No German Drawbacks
By Otto on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is an absolute blast to drive! It's responsive, comfortable, and perfect for both daily driving and weekend flogging. I got it to replace my college car (2000 Mazda Protege) and it has done nothing but exceed my expectations. The flat torque band makes it both fun and easy to drive, the interior is a wonderful man-machine interface, and the exterior is beautifully sporty without drawing undesirable attention. I have even been fortunate enough to avoid the quality issues associated with VWs. The performance is great but there are definitely faster cars out there like the '07 STI Limited and '10 Mazdaspeed3 I tested back to back with the GTI. Bottom line: test drive one! You'll see ;)

Love it. Did my homework and am happy!
By jazzbank on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

For starters, I'm not a racerboy nor a true sports car fan. I wanted a great balance of features, fun, and practicality. I did a ton a research before landing on the GTI (3 months worth!). Fit and finish are above the competition it really feels like an Audi or other premium brand. I can haul people or cargo and still accelerate quickly into any pocket on the freeway or sneak a parking space on a crowded street. It handles really well and is silky smooth if you use a light touch. It can feel a little jerky depending on the road, but overall a great ride. I don't know if I can ever go back to a regular sedan or compact. I decided on this after a lifetime of Toyotas and Hondas, but this is fun

VW Lengendary Unreliability
By Sebastian on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Here's a car that does nothing well. I bought a GTI mainly as a commuter that would be fun to drive. Now, one month into my purchase, I've barely driven it. My GTI has spent most of its time in the service department because the engine cuts out on every stop light. Two weeks this car has been at the dealership with no resolution. I should have bought a WRX or any other car for that matter. This GTI is outclassed by just about every competitor in its price range. I'm so mad for buying this piece of junk. If you want a sporty hatchback look elsewhere. There are numerous better all around performing cars out there. VW= "Das Unkluge Auto"

Looking of something fun?
By DR007 on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 4dr GTI Autobahn about 2 weeks ago. In this time, it has continued to surprise me in every way possible. I traded my Infiniti G37s coupe on this, looking for something that was sporty, fun and bigger. It is a blast to drive and has all the features most of us could ever need.

Excellent machine!
By Gary Haikin on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just purchased the car a week ago, was very lucky to find candy white I wanted with the manual transmission. I was shopping for Audi A4, but realised that significant premium in price is not worth it. It has vertially the same engine and the same features (except Quattro), since Audi eliminated all goodies last year to save money. Engine is very powerful and torqey. It's a lot of fun to drive, it has a well appointed high quality interior. It's rather spacious inside and looks nice outside. Though the last one is according to the taste. The gearshifter is precise, the brakes are strong and the steering is tight. The dashboard layout is convinient and instrument cluster is easy to read.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen GTI in NJ is:

$233 per month*