2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Timeless car...
By adoniskev on 10/27/13 11:04 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Breathtaking... Now in all my years of owning cars this car replaces my all time favorite car my old 2003 Infiniti 4 door sedan. Taking this beauty from the lot for almost over a week I have yet to head to a gas station to fill up this bad boy. Gas mileage is amazing!!! Not as amazing as a Prius but I think they are being modest. It's a German car obviously and vw seems to be titled the poor mans Chanel, and that's okay why? Well besides not having a 500 payment for a BMW or Mercedes this car is far more eye catching than anything currently on the market. The other competitors well... They just are either too feminine or rugged for my taste in style. Timeless is what I named her.

2 years and still fun
By vincevw329 on 05/09/13 05:26 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I live in the NE and use my 2011 VW GTI, DSGwSunroof as a commuter, after 2 years. I continue to enjoy driving with no breakdowns, rattles, or any problems. Mileage is up to 16000 and I recently drove a 750mi one way road trip and this car was fine, but of course small. Everything still applies from my 1 year review. I read in depth about the Bluetooth problem and there is no solution. When using the system and go to make a call with the voice, the volume is simply too loud, I've tried all different adjustments. I have had the experience to use other BT systems and overall the VW system is the best. Only wear after 2 years is the side bolster. Customer service at the dealer has been good.

Exactly What I Expected and Thought I Wanted.
By bwschubert on 10/08/12 08:53 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I feel this car has delivered exactly what was promised based on reputation and car magazine reviews. It is fun to drive, especially with the sweet shifting manual and quickly spooling engine, the ergonomics are exactly aligned to how I think, and the hatchback practicality is obviously a big plus. I have had absolutely zero reliability issues over 16,000 miles and 13 months and have not experienced any poor customer service when I have been to the dealership. After a over a year though, I cannot stand the leather seats as they are not perforated and are always disgustingly hot, and the exterior styling looks cheap from some angles.

Fun and sensible
By GTIGR on 08/27/12 06:34 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Coming from Acura, I don't miss a bit of luxury. Actually the GTI makes much more sense. It's extremely well-built with a logical and spartan/germanic layout. Navigation and ipod integration work smoothly and fast. The leather seats are very comfy and supportive while the interior is much more spacious than you think. I left the powertrain last. It's a blast to drive the GTI. Whether commuting or playing, it just brings a smile. I had a VW in 2003, so I was afraid of VW's reliability... But GTI has come a long way. It's not as reliable as my 2009 TSX but it's quite close. Actually you wouldn't want GTI to become Japanese... you definitely want it to stay German: a toy and a commuter.

1 year with the GTI
By vincevw329 on 05/10/12 10:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I live in the NE and use my 2011 VW GTI, DSGwSunroof as a daily commuter and recently drove a 250 road trip with it. Overall it's been a very likeable car. Appearance is still very new with just over 8000 miles on it. I notice some slight wear in the left hand side bolster on the drivers seat from entering/exiting. No squeaks or rattles or any other hickups in my year of driving. The interior is in great shape and I have become accustomed to all the controls. I don't care for the round knobs on the sunroof control and climate controls, more on that later. Also a feature I'm not fond of is the tiny rear-view mirror. I especially like the bluetooth, very easy to use. Back seat access is fair.

Great, fun, reliable car
By bodhizuffa on 02/22/12 16:08 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I traded a Nissan Titan for this about a year ago when gas prices began to rise. I was worried about not having a large, practical vehicle with plenty of storage. I can say, with a bike rack installed, I haven't had any issues with space or being able to haul stuff home from Target or Lowe's. There is lots of room with the rear seats folded down. I live in NC so no experience with snow yet. The car is fun to drive (especially around town), gets very good gas mileage even with premium gas, the DSG transmission is great, and the interior is at least one price point above the GTI. I have almost 10,000 miles on it, drive it pretty hard, and haven't had one quality/reliability issue.

Not so good after 5 Months
By englander1 on 01/24/12 18:33 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Well I blame myself for not doing my homework, but reliability has been less than poor. Three times in the shop for Oil Separator, Water Pump and Oil Pressure Sensor. Like many state VW Customer Service is terrible. When its not in the shop its a great car. Handles well, fuel consumption is also a big plus. I don't tend to keep cars long but this may be a record even for me, may be gone for the first oil change.

Not so excellent after 14 months.
By magician2166 on 12/04/11 19:10 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an update after owning GTI for 14 months. The car has a bad wind noise, which VW can not fix due to it's design. Low-profile tires provide terrible ride and are easily destroyed over regular road imperfections. No potholes, replaced 2 already. Highway mileage is very mediocre due to the low ratio 6th. gear, which results in a constant high RPM. Interior panels rattle. Turbo lag is severe if A/C compressor is on. Engine consumes oil (1 qt. every 5000 miles). VW customer service is left to be desired. Headlights are alwauys dirty due to lack of the headlight wahers. Navigation screen is extremely small and very hard to see. Navigation system features are extremely limited.

Steal
By dhwhitney on 11/17/11 17:58 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Traded in BMW X5 4.8is 2005 and feel this is better in every meaningful way. Similar room and straight line performance with much better interior (I like cloth seats!) and much nicer handling. Interior is tighter and better thought out than my recently traded in 2009 M3 and comparable to my new 1 M coupe! Autostick a concession to being the "3rd car"/wagon so my wife can drive it, but it is really fun in its own way. I look at the many lame cars out there that people pay more than 25K for and shake my head. The excuse I guess is that VW only recently started taking build quality seriously.

Fun GTI
By martint on 09/28/11 16:43 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I changed from a Mini Clubman S to the GTI. The mini was fun but got tired of the torque steer. The GTI is a great balance of handling and speed. As a person who prefers a stick to an auto the DSG transmission in this car is excellent, as I use all 3 modes, the manual mode being the best for spirited driving. The interior is exremely welcoming and comfortable. I am always disappointed when I arrive at my destination. I look forward to many miles of happy motoring, and hope not to many tickets.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*