Used 2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Most Helpful|
Not so excellent after 14 months.
By magician2166

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an update after owning GTI for 14 months. The car has a bad wind noise, which VW can not fix due to it's design. Low-profile tires provide terrible ride and are easily destroyed over regular road imperfections. No potholes, replaced 2 already. Highway mileage is very mediocre due to the low ratio 6th. gear, which results in a constant high RPM. Interior panels rattle. Turbo lag is severe if A/C compressor is on. Engine consumes oil (1 qt. every 5000 miles). VW customer service is left to be desired. Headlights are alwauys dirty due to lack of the headlight wahers. Navigation screen is extremely small and very hard to see. Navigation system features are extremely limited.

Favorite Features

Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Install better doors and windows seals in order to get rid of the wind noise. Replace 18" wheels with 17" ones. Install larger navigation screen. The car lacks of any type of options. At this price level this is unexceptable. No headlight washers, no memory seats, no automatic climate control, no auto-dimming mirrors. Heated steering wheel would be very nice. Neither air vents controls nor the sunroof controls iluminate at night time. Provide better insulation for the interior panels as they crack and rattle, especially riding on the low profile tires.

2 years and still fun
By vincevw329

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I live in the NE and use my 2011 VW GTI, DSGwSunroof as a commuter, after 2 years. I continue to enjoy driving with no breakdowns, rattles, or any problems. Mileage is up to 16000 and I recently drove a 750mi one way road trip and this car was fine, but of course small. Everything still applies from my 1 year review. I read in depth about the Bluetooth problem and there is no solution. When using the system and go to make a call with the voice, the volume is simply too loud, I've tried all different adjustments. I have had the experience to use other BT systems and overall the VW system is the best. Only wear after 2 years is the side bolster. Customer service at the dealer has been good.

Favorite Features

Build quality is top notch. Recently drove a Mazda 3 (competitor) and was shocked how sloppy everything was. The seams line up better and materials nicer than my Wife's more expensive car. The Bluetooth works great, press the button, say the name, and confirm and your making a call or go through the menus on the display, very easy. I like the firm seats and the cloth shows very little to no signs of wear. The driving experience is the real strong suit of all VWs. If you've never driven one, go take a test drive, it's free, you'll like it or hate it. Rear seats are easy to fold down with tons of room in the back for alot of gear. While more expensive than the comp. to me it's worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Software could fix that really annoying BT volume problem. At $28+ I expect a better rear-view mirror. Storage, what little there is, is small. I understand the Euro version is packed with cubby's of storage but that had to be stripped out of the U.S. version to help pay for the Federally mandated safety systems like TPMS because we're to lazy to check our tire pressure. Please find a way to work some more storage back in without increasing the price. Sometimes there is a gas pedal lag, not sure what's going on there but when it does happen, it's scary when in traffic.

1 year with the GTI
By vincevw329

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I live in the NE and use my 2011 VW GTI, DSGwSunroof as a daily commuter and recently drove a 250 road trip with it. Overall it's been a very likeable car. Appearance is still very new with just over 8000 miles on it. I notice some slight wear in the left hand side bolster on the drivers seat from entering/exiting. No squeaks or rattles or any other hickups in my year of driving. The interior is in great shape and I have become accustomed to all the controls. I don't care for the round knobs on the sunroof control and climate controls, more on that later. Also a feature I'm not fond of is the tiny rear-view mirror. I especially like the bluetooth, very easy to use. Back seat access is fair.

Favorite Features

Heated seats work good and heat up quickly. Bluetooth operation except voice control (see below). Firm seats are great, even on a longer trip. Performance is great and when not speeding around, it's really good on gas. Stereo (6cd/Sat) sounds good.

Suggested Improvements

Knobs - my 08 Jetta had slotted knobs that you knew what position it was in by feel, perfect. 11' GTI has round knobs that have detents and a little larger detent in the major positions but the major detent feels too much like any other position to know (without looking) exactly what position the knob is really in. Stronger major detents would hlep. The volume for the BT voice response is way to high. I have the "Phone Volume" set about 60% to hear and be heard during most calls. If I use the BT voice activation at 60% it literally hurts my ears.... Listen... turn it down! Last and least - that stupid little rear view mirror, for 28,000 can we get a descent mirror? I still like the car!

Timeless car...
By adoniskev

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Breathtaking... Now in all my years of owning cars this car replaces my all time favorite car my old 2003 Infiniti 4 door sedan. Taking this beauty from the lot for almost over a week I have yet to head to a gas station to fill up this bad boy. Gas mileage is amazing!!! Not as amazing as a Prius but I think they are being modest. It's a German car obviously and vw seems to be titled the poor mans Chanel, and that's okay why? Well besides not having a 500 payment for a BMW or Mercedes this car is far more eye catching than anything currently on the market. The other competitors well... They just are either too feminine or rugged for my taste in style. Timeless is what I named her.

Favorite Features

Beautiful red accents, beautiful 18" alloy rims... Looks like VW took some tips from the Italians. This might sound far fetched but I feel like I am entering a Ferrari hatchback... I am not exaggerating...perhaps it's the red accents with that beautiful hood that wraps around the vw logo. Maybe it because those rims are just beautiful to look at!!! Look at the rims from a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, see any similarities? Everywhere I go this car turns heads, I feel kiddish!!! To think I almost bought a fiat!!! Bluetooth, phone dial voice command, touch screen, sunroof, FWD!!! (Great for snow), brake assist, I can keep going!!! Very panoramic view drives like a roller-coaster!!! Fun!!!

Suggested Improvements

No complaints!!! So far... I just had the car for over a week I'll update if I find anything. Final thoughts: I love my car, I park it far away from everyone!!! While my friends drive their BMW and Mercedes I can sleep well at night with my payments and still enjoy all the comforts of luxury without paying the heavy price tag for a name. Almost forgot has a connection for your iphone and storage space for such a small car is amazing!!!

Fun and sensible
By GTIGR

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Coming from Acura, I don't miss a bit of luxury. Actually the GTI makes much more sense. It's extremely well-built with a logical and spartan/germanic layout. Navigation and ipod integration work smoothly and fast. The leather seats are very comfy and supportive while the interior is much more spacious than you think. I left the powertrain last. It's a blast to drive the GTI. Whether commuting or playing, it just brings a smile. I had a VW in 2003, so I was afraid of VW's reliability... But GTI has come a long way. It's not as reliable as my 2009 TSX but it's quite close. Actually you wouldn't want GTI to become Japanese... you definitely want it to stay German: a toy and a commuter.

Favorite Features

engine, manual transmission, understated but elegand looks, simple and high quality interior, navi

Suggested Improvements

18" wheels are not for everybody and every road. While I prefer a firm ride, a 17" choice should be default