This GTI rocks
By HPinRI on
2010 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I've owned 2 GTI's, a Mark I and a Mark II, then went to BMW's until I got sick of the maintenance expense and bought a very reliable (and boring) Camry Hybrid. When I saw the new Mark VI, it just spoke to me. I was slightly anxious about quality after a bad experience with my wife's Touareg and her Jetta before that. But, Consumer Reports had good things to say, and Automobile magazine, and every other publication I read. I'm happy to report that build quality is amazing - this car feels like a Mercedes... it's solid, fit and finish is exceptional, and it's quiet as a church. The power out of this 4 cylinder is amazing. The interior quality is very high. And it's a blast to drive.
Favorite Features
Love the plaid seats (don't waste money on the leather)... the touchscreen Dynaudio stereo looks cool, and sounds even better... the 6 speed manual is crisp and precise... I don't know how I lived without the integrated iPod control... and the engine is an engineering marvel and loads of fun.
Suggested Improvements
The (manual) lumbar support isn't quite as good as I'd like. The turbo lag will take some getting used to, but that's probably because I'm coming from a hybrid which required standing on the accelerator when merging into highway traffic. I often find myself surprised by the extent of the boost.