One Year Later--grin still plastered on face.
By mjjackson76 on
2010 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I've had my GTI (4dr, manual, 18s) for just over a year, and I'm still enamored with the car. It's solid, speedy, handles amazingly well. Yes, could use more power, but I don't need it. Handling is what makes the car so fun. Ride is a bit harsh on bad pavement, but who cares? Buy a couch on wheels if you so desire. Stereo is fantastic but touchscreen is difficult while driving, shifter precise, engine note perfectly tuned and gas mileage good on the highway--26-28mpg on spririted freeway stints at 90mph; 33 best; 13 in city worst. Two issues: brake pad came apart at 4000 miles; rattles from pas. b-pillar at 8800 miles. No big deal--all replaced under warranty quickly. Can't wait for R20.
Favorite Features
Overall handling for a front driver is simply a blast. Fit and finish is phenomenal. Engine note, stereo. Heated seats make winter okay. For the money, one of the best autos out there without a doubt--fast, economical, utilitarian, trendy with plaid; fun with helping of luxury with leather, nav and DSG. The steering wheel is stunning. Xenons are quite impressive. Traction control is not intrusive but helpful--allows for play. The car is quite good in snow on the 18 inch all-seasons; but it doesn't like slushy accumulations. Test drive it. You will want one. It's addictive. Buy it. Find curvy, open roads. Floor it. Grin uncontrollably.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the door sills--they collect tons of soap while getting the car washed which freezes doors shut in cold weather if you don't wipe immediately and is just annoying in the summer; I hate to continue preaching it, but more power....please? Even though it's already hard to not lose traction on a hard launch; update the Bluetooth; and why do the doors auto-lock but not auto-unlock? Plaid fabric can get dirty easily in corners and crevices where dirt tends to collect. I know I'm nitpicking but that's about all I've got.