Used 2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Most Helpful|
Love this car
By HenryH

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 2010 GTI for just under 2 months, and it has been a pleasure to own. My last car was a first generation Mazda6, and as a single guy in my 20s, I wanted something smaller, better on gas, and sportier. This car is a much better fit for me. Looked at the Mazdaspeed3, WRX, and Evo, but this car, while not quite as fast, is better rounded and much more classy. The plaid cloth seats are one of my favorite things about the car. Paying more for leather is pointless. I've been averaging 25 MPG in mixed driving and can easily get 31+ under highway conditions. My first mod was installing the European-spec cup holder, which has an awesome VW-engraved bottle opener and a sliding cover.

Favorite Features

Excellent interior quality, generous amount of standard features (even on my base model), tight handling, paint quality, touch screen stereo, media integration, gas mileage, turbo

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders lack bottle opener and cover of European models, weatherstripping should be better, iPod interface lags, window up/down from key fob is disabled for North America (can be enabled with VAGCOM)

Spent half my $50K car budget
By milleman

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had spent a year test driving 20 cars over 1000mi to decide on the car that would last me the 20yrs my last car did, a VW Corrado. Life's too short to keep driving VWs, but the final shootouts for months were between the '10 GTI and different flavors of 1 and 3 series BMW coupes. I was not cross-shopping any of the Japanese "hot hatches".

Favorite Features

>Short gearing+revvy engine=lots of shifting=driver involvement >Even PZEV engines underrated at 210+hp at wheels =~240 crank hp&flat torque >Huge back seat+hatch space when folded >Fabulous stereo head unit+Dynaudio=best audio well above its class >XDS works really well, steering nearly as direct as the better RWD cars, easily best for FWD >Better ride-handling balance than 3-series sport pkg (no run-flats helps) >Amazing amount of std equip for the base price for a euro car >Smart styling walks fine line between aggressive&chill >Great ergos for my build, but BMW sport pkg seats still best >Clutch& gearbox action sublime >Good summer tires really raise chassis performance

Suggested Improvements

>HVAC controls are garbage in an otherwise quality interior, and it doesn't hold the interior temp very well >There were a lot of cost-cutting measures to the MkV, and more to come between 2010 & 2011. Bringing back the body-colored side mouldings for parking lot protection would be a good start >A center channel speaker for the Dynaudio stereo upgrade >ESP to allow more aggressive slip angles when the TCS is manually switched off >Leave the 12V outlets on when ignition is off >Dealer programming needed to disable DRLs, honk when locking >Better brake pads, calipers & air ducting >Less road noise thru chassis >140mph speedo, 180mph is stupid >oil temp display >accurate mpg display

Love my car
By dasboo

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new in April of 2010, and currently have 36,500+ miles on it. One thing I love about this car is how practical it is. I can put the seats down and put my two black labs in the back. Yesterday I used it to transport shrubs for a landscape project. It is a blast to drive- I will take handling and driver feedback any day over power, and this car handles like a dream. A friend of mine has a 2008 STi, and while very fast and powerful, I do not find it rewarding and enjoyable to drive. The GTI is an all around incredible car- practical, fun to drive, and a joy to live with day to day. Also, MPG's are great. Currently have 420 miles on this tank.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior design, practicality, fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

iPod interface is terrible. Touch screen radio is unnecessary. Bluetooth can be touchy at times.

Vehicle rear ended
By SOLID BUILD

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This VW gti 2010 is extremely fast, it really wants to say let me go! I am a safe driver with no accidents in thirty years. I was rear ended with no major damage, this car is amazing? The truck that hit me was damaged much more. If you were looking for the BMW 1 series handling and interior for half the price you found it. The smooth shifting with a manual is extremely easy, the interior is glove like with cloth? And every detail has been refined with the arm rest too comfortable, better locking motions than all previous models since I had previous generations. The standards in the base gti come with it all like touch radio, excellent radio connections for iphone and more.

Favorite Features

Everything standard including the 6 speed, radio touch, bluetooth-really a dream come true, except must dial out initially, refined, adult looking with a hint off watch out, seats, arm rests are amazing, standards heated cloth seating-hot! Best interior hands down by twice, don't get the leather.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth should incorporate the dial out feature on the radio and no interior trunk release in passenger compartment. Get one today if you can, seven sold in one hour when I got mine.

On Tap Instant Exhilaration
By Speedfreek70

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

"After you read my review you are all going to think VW paid me to say this: Nothing could be farther from the truth. I bought my 2010 GTI 2 dr in Candy White w/DSG paddle shifter- equipped Automatic. This car is sleek, stealthy and a head-turner when freshly washed. I make up excuses daily to drive it as frequently as possible. This little hot hatch is truly fun to drive. The turbo is responsive & the shifting is absolutely spot on when using the manual mode. It handles superbly, reminiscent of a souped up go- kart. The exhaust note is just perfect as is the sound emanating from the resonated air box under the hood. I can't get good gas mileage w/this pocket rocket. A true & true fun car!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel looks & features, the DSG dual clutch automatic, Dynaudio sound system sounds superb and last but not least the Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights are magnificent. The lighting capability cuts through the dark like a knife.

Suggested Improvements

Power features/memory for the cloth Interlagos cloth seats. dual-climate control would be great as well as push button start. Other than that the car is perfect.