Used 2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Best car for the money
By H-DUB

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

As I get older, I place a lot more emphasis on value. In terms of what I value, I wanted economy, acceleration, utility, and styling. In my opinion, there is not another car that can beat the GTI. When I did my research, the two most important criteria were gas mileage and acceleration. So I came up with my own measure, which was average gas mileage divided by the 0 to 60 time. The GTI was far away the best performer in that measure. I've owned BMWs exclusively up until this purchase. I've got to say that I enjoy driving this car more than any of my previous 7 BMWs. I've had this car for a month now and still can't get over the great VALUE.

First of all, thanks to all the previous posters who convinced me to buy this car. I especially relate to the guy who owned the fancy Mercedes but never really felt it was "right for him". Acceleration, interior quality, looks, and the sound.

Maybe this is petty but the license plate mounts are non existent. You have sheet metal screws that screw into the base body material that is easily stripped.

First GTI
By John

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Tons of fun for the money and Teutonic build quality. GTI's love the back roads and the turbo has no lag for immediate and decent burst. Best at high revs but an additional 20-30 bhp would be nice. In town or traffic it is easy and quiet. Highway I am getting around 30 mpg. Lot of rear leg room - better than 3 series BMW or Audi A4 - and hatchback flexibility. This car has almost everything and I didn't bother to look at anything else, it meets all my practical and fun needs. Taken me 30 years of driving and admiring the GTI to finally buy one and have absolutely no regrets.

Build quality, Detroit 18" wheels (hear they will be standard on the 2011), fun and practical mix, rear space, all round visibility.

couldn't find a 4 door manual with 18" Detroit wheels in red!

Best bang for the buck!
By greennfun

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After test-driving many similarly priced vehicles, used and new, this one came out as a winner! Compared to Mini Copper/Clubman S, BMW 3-series, Japanese, WRX and MS3. If not pushed hard gives comparable mileage to Honda Fit and when driven hard, feels quicker and sportier than BMW 328i. For the money, amount of amenities in this car is amazing. Seats are very comfy. Day-to-day drivability is very high. Stock audio is comparable to premium audio. Turbo sounds intoxicating!

Seats, Audio, power on demand, flat torque band from low rpm to redline and handling through corners.

Offer a 4motion / quattro with a little more power.

Best Decision EVER!
By jroc13

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned two Audi's in the past five years...then I saw the '10 GTI and couldn't resist. Wow, what a great decision. I smile each time I drive the car. It's so fun, so fast and so sexy! People honk as I pass, ask about it when I'm filling up at the gas station and beg to drive it. The exhaust note turns heads and the 18" wheels are dynamite. I jam the DynaAudio system to the max and wow can it deliver! I push this car to the limit daily and it consistently delivers. I plead with anyone reading this to go test drive one immediately.

18" Wheels, Xenon headlights that turn with my steering wheel. great for tight turns at night!, steering wheel is worthy of $100,000 sports cars, exhaust note, plaid cloth interior

iPod interface is delayed, very annoying. Bluetooth is dated, I wish I didn't have to even touch my phone. Hands free is so much safer and convenient.

Drives great - but noisy
By Raymond

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Wonderful care to drive - handling and feel are top notch. On a recent 5000 mile road trip I experienced no discomforts and exceeded 31 mpg easily. Problem is build quality is poor. The car has been full of rattles and squeaks since day 1, has some misaligned trim and is considerably under-optioned compared to its competitors (and also its predecessor) examples: climate control, auto-dimming mirror

Ride, handling, seats, AFS bi-xenon headlights

cure the rattles and squeaks. provide the euro level specs as options. Add more interior storage options. Bluetooth is terrible.