2010 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: 2nd GTI

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

2nd GTI
By FamilyMan on

2010 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The best balance of reasonable cost, good mileage, space, looks and fun. The GTI can fit my family of 4 comfortably, gets excellent gas mileage, and is a blast to drive. My kids had originally wanted the 4- door, but ended up voting for the 2-door for the sportier looks (my choice too.) We are able to fit my daughter's standing bass by folding down half of the back seat, and still get three of us in the car. Fit and finish are outstanding, much improved over my previous '95 GTI. 6-speed is precise and easy to shift; driving position is ideal - lots of adjustment options. 25 mpg in spirited city driving; also, the suspension is still comfortable with large, Midwest potholes, rough roads

Power in acceleration; great handling, yet easy for my wife to park; sunroof; Ipod stereo connection & Bluetooth with phone; sound of the engine under hard acceleration - "brrraaap" - great fun!

Ipod touch controls are slow in operating; better torque at lower revs (granted, my last GTI had the VR6 which spoiled me for broad-range torque); have to have a window cracked when the sunroof is open to avoid over-pressure thrumming. Picky things, really. The new GTI is near to perfect.