2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2010 GTI Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Sort Reviews by

Still overpriced, but a blast to drive
By tepsicity

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I still think the GTI is overpriced for its class, considering you can't get some options available on other comparable cars (have fun trying to hook up an iPod to the system and have it work through the wheel controls and enough already with the plaid cloth seats), but DAMN is it fun to drive. Way more fun than the Mazdaspeed 3 at least among the 2010 models, and any WRX in that realm would have been even more overpriced and driven to death. Fair warning that I had to spend a good $3k to replace the fans in the front in a hot climate at around 67k miles. Pissed me off to put that much money into what was at that point about a $10k car, but like I said...DAMN is it fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Seamless turbo, tons of fun, astonishing amount of room in the back, beware the wear and the stupid frat boy argyle interior, but a joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

How about when I unlock the doors the trunk also unlocks without me having to find another button? And GOD with the plaid cloth seats. Why is this still a thing?

What a car!
By cobraboy1

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow, this car is totally amazing! I spent 3months test driving all different cars in the class, bordering the class, and in classes above and beneath just to narrow down everything. In the end I decided on the Certified Pre-Owned 2010 VW GTI, which I bought for 19.5k with just 16k miles on the clock. The top three for me were, in the end, the GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, and the WRX Hatch. Third place was the WRX because while I loved the AWD and the power. I really didn't like the price, nobody orders the base models. the Speed3 was close but didn't have the refinement of the GTI.

Favorite Features

Love the shifter, its just schick, schick, schick smooth. The power is instantaneous with darn near zero turbo lag, and with just an additional 600.00 you can get a stage 1 mod and it doesn't void the warranty giving you another 55hp! The seats are absolutely incredible and the plaid pattern is really beautiful to look at. I really really love the bi-zenon headlights that turn with you when you turn the steering wheel to go around bends, THAT was a brand new feature for me.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to think of one; I hate it that to switch cds in the six disc changer you have to go through 3 different menus to get to the one to switch cds, there is no simple way to use the touch screen radio to switch cds.

Love my car
By dasboo

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new in April of 2010, and currently have 36,500+ miles on it. One thing I love about this car is how practical it is. I can put the seats down and put my two black labs in the back. Yesterday I used it to transport shrubs for a landscape project. It is a blast to drive- I will take handling and driver feedback any day over power, and this car handles like a dream. A friend of mine has a 2008 STi, and while very fast and powerful, I do not find it rewarding and enjoyable to drive. The GTI is an all around incredible car- practical, fun to drive, and a joy to live with day to day. Also, MPG's are great. Currently have 420 miles on this tank.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior design, practicality, fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

iPod interface is terrible. Touch screen radio is unnecessary. Bluetooth can be touchy at times.

All I can say
By jmroberts1

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After owning this car for two years with absolutely no problems I am happy! I am a very satisfied with my 2010 GTI 2 door. Pretty much a base model with the dsg transmission. 35000 miles later and I am now a VW convert, I bought this as an emotional buy knowing VW's hit or miss reliability. The fit and finish is second to none and I have still not heard any unexplained rattles. Mileage has been outstanding, 32.1 overall with about 85 % being highway miles. I can get about 37 to 39 MPG's highway when I do 60 consistently and high 20's around town. Fun to drive factor is great, power is always on tap with minimal turbo lag. It handles well for fwd. Highly recommend!!!!!

Favorite Features

Engine power delivery. Mileage Build quality, I am amazed! Looks Handling

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise is noticeable at highway speeds. DSG and 40000 mile service are way too expensive. I don't care how much I saved during the first thirty six thousand miles 800++++ is not in line with what is done.

Best VW to the date
By mike475

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owners since Dec 2009 of 4dr DSG GTI + Autobahn Package (aka leather seats and moonroof). It is great car all around. Quality is top noch (I guess no surprise here). Even MKV Jetta it looks like the car was made by different company. I love about everything about the car, so does my wife.

Favorite Features

2.0 Turbo engine, DSG is no doubt the best auto gearbox out there, touch screen stereo, steering wheel, interior and exterior design, great leather sport seats.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof controls are serios letdown from MKV, but I guess they had change something.

Refined Gem
By vw_gti

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The GTI is easily the best combination of refinement, speed, value, and driving pleasure on the market. I cross-shopped the car with various others and the GTI was the winner with the closest runner-ups being the BMW 328i and the Mini Cooper. I honestly don't think the GTI competes against the various Japanese cars (i.e. Civic Si, WRX, Evo) because of its level of refinement. No, it's not as fast as the WRX or the Evo, but it provides a level of refinement and all-around usability that both of those toys can't match. It's less isolated than the luxury cars but is still blessed with a remarkably high-class interior that should be the envy of most entry-luxury drivers.

Favorite Features

The torquey 2.0T coupled with the DSG. Even my manual-loving buddy couldn't help but admit that the DSG is the closest he's ever driven to a real manual. The exhaust/intake noise is great and really gives the car a special feel. Handling is outstanding and well-rounded. The interior styling and quality is superlative. The plaid (interlagos) seats are unique and very european and the build-quality rivals the Audi/BMW and easily bests the C-Class Mercedes and every one of the Japanese entry-luxury competitors. It's quite an accomplishment for VW. The versatility of the hatch is also great. I can throw my road bike in the back and still blast along some back roads!

Suggested Improvements

The base stereo is adequate, but really needs improvement. The Dynaudio package was a must on my shopping list, but I couldn't find a base GTI with just that option and I didn't want the 18-inch wheels or the sunroof that usually accompanied this package. I would also include better floormats. I know this sounds picky (I have the upgraded winter mats already), but the GTI really should have branded mats with the embroidered logo. Everything else in the car feels unique with the red stitching and the cheap mats are a letdown. I know that sounds picky, but I'm thrilled that that's the only thing I can complain about!

Spent half my $50K car budget
By milleman

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had spent a year test driving 20 cars over 1000mi to decide on the car that would last me the 20yrs my last car did, a VW Corrado. Life's too short to keep driving VWs, but the final shootouts for months were between the '10 GTI and different flavors of 1 and 3 series BMW coupes. I was not cross-shopping any of the Japanese "hot hatches".

Favorite Features

>Short gearing+revvy engine=lots of shifting=driver involvement >Even PZEV engines underrated at 210+hp at wheels =~240 crank hp&flat torque >Huge back seat+hatch space when folded >Fabulous stereo head unit+Dynaudio=best audio well above its class >XDS works really well, steering nearly as direct as the better RWD cars, easily best for FWD >Better ride-handling balance than 3-series sport pkg (no run-flats helps) >Amazing amount of std equip for the base price for a euro car >Smart styling walks fine line between aggressive&chill >Great ergos for my build, but BMW sport pkg seats still best >Clutch& gearbox action sublime >Good summer tires really raise chassis performance

Suggested Improvements

>HVAC controls are garbage in an otherwise quality interior, and it doesn't hold the interior temp very well >There were a lot of cost-cutting measures to the MkV, and more to come between 2010 & 2011. Bringing back the body-colored side mouldings for parking lot protection would be a good start >A center channel speaker for the Dynaudio stereo upgrade >ESP to allow more aggressive slip angles when the TCS is manually switched off >Leave the 12V outlets on when ignition is off >Dealer programming needed to disable DRLs, honk when locking >Better brake pads, calipers & air ducting >Less road noise thru chassis >140mph speedo, 180mph is stupid >oil temp display >accurate mpg display

Obsessed with my car
By npsgti

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got this car CPO with 9k miles on it a month and a half ago and have put about a thousand miles on it since. This car is incredible. I was in a Mazda3 for a while before this car and this car just blows it away on every level. Interior is high quality on par with Audi etc. Excellent touch screen stereo and iPod interface with a very high attention to detail from the leather wrapped flat bottom steering wheel to the subtle red stitching throughout. Very comfortable seats etc. The engine (2liter turbo) coupled with 6 speed manual (how could you get the DSG??) is a dream. Seemingly bottomless torque and plenty of power when I need it with a nice exhaust sound. Excellent exterior design. Grade A

Favorite Features

2liter Turbo engine, effortless yet precise 6 speed manual, touch screen stereo, steering wheel, interior and exterior design, heated seats beings standard

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality, particularly factory window seals and channels are poorly installed. After a week of having it I noticed wind noise at freeway speeds and door rattles. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the door seals and channels, free of charge and all is well. The car is top drawer, but it is questionable how they could ship these cars from Germany with poorly assembled door panels and seals. Ride quality can be a little rough, but thats due mainly to the 18" wheels and LA's horrible roads. If I wanted a soft ride I would have bought a Buick

One Year Later--grin still plastered on face.
By mjjackson76

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my GTI (4dr, manual, 18s) for just over a year, and I'm still enamored with the car. It's solid, speedy, handles amazingly well. Yes, could use more power, but I don't need it. Handling is what makes the car so fun. Ride is a bit harsh on bad pavement, but who cares? Buy a couch on wheels if you so desire. Stereo is fantastic but touchscreen is difficult while driving, shifter precise, engine note perfectly tuned and gas mileage good on the highway--26-28mpg on spririted freeway stints at 90mph; 33 best; 13 in city worst. Two issues: brake pad came apart at 4000 miles; rattles from pas. b-pillar at 8800 miles. No big deal--all replaced under warranty quickly. Can't wait for R20.

Favorite Features

Overall handling for a front driver is simply a blast. Fit and finish is phenomenal. Engine note, stereo. Heated seats make winter okay. For the money, one of the best autos out there without a doubt--fast, economical, utilitarian, trendy with plaid; fun with helping of luxury with leather, nav and DSG. The steering wheel is stunning. Xenons are quite impressive. Traction control is not intrusive but helpful--allows for play. The car is quite good in snow on the 18 inch all-seasons; but it doesn't like slushy accumulations. Test drive it. You will want one. It's addictive. Buy it. Find curvy, open roads. Floor it. Grin uncontrollably.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the door sills--they collect tons of soap while getting the car washed which freezes doors shut in cold weather if you don't wipe immediately and is just annoying in the summer; I hate to continue preaching it, but more power....please? Even though it's already hard to not lose traction on a hard launch; update the Bluetooth; and why do the doors auto-lock but not auto-unlock? Plaid fabric can get dirty easily in corners and crevices where dirt tends to collect. I know I'm nitpicking but that's about all I've got.

Great value, no peers
By Seth

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car to replace my 2000 Acura RL. I wanted a car that was fun to drive above all else, but also one that was a good daily driver and fit my active lifestyle. I considered the following vehicles: Acura TSX, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mazdaspeed 3, VW CC and GTI, and Subaru WRX and STi. In the end the GTI ended up winning. It is, IMO, the best combination of fun to drive and nice to live with for the money. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. If you are looking for a car to love, not just drive, I highly recommend it. I love mine. My wife and I did a 3700 mile road trip in it, and it was flawless.

Favorite Features

Steering feel, overall handling, fuel economy, interior, Exterior styling, value

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights have harsh cut-off on low beams, iPod interface is terrible (extreme lag time)