Used 2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Look elsewhere
By Patrick

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A sporty hatchback that gets 35mpg! What's not to love? In theory this car is fantastic and I've heard nothing but good things before buying. That VW reliability issue was always in the back of my head but never stopped me from buying. I bought it used for $17,500 in December of 2014 with 24,000miles. The first month was by far the best (Honeymoon phase) and even though Boston had record breaking snow i never had a problem even with all season tires. Soon, after 1500 miles the water pump went (under warranty) and I was stranded an hour away from home late at night. With all the potholes here in Boston I blew out three tires and dented a wheel in the course of three months. As a result of poor road conditions,my front suspension took a beating,ball joints and sway bar end links had to be replaced. Then in October with about 43000miles two coil packs blew and have since continued to randomly go. VW techs have said nothing is wrong with my car. Then in December of 2015 a fuse melted and severely damaged my fuse box (wish the car would have burnt to the ground) Now that it's been just over a year, my water pump went out again, 47,000miles (no longer under warranty). Unfortunately I'll have to shoot myself in the foot, take the loss of a few thousand and buy another car. Maybe a Subaru WRX/STI or more likely the new Ford Focus RS. Between the uncomfortable front seats, poor pedal feel and all of the reliability issues the GTI is not worth the hassle, at least not here in Boston.

One HOT little number!
By Dustin

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this GTI about a year and a half ago with 55,000 miles on it. I have done some scheduled maintenance at low costs by myself. Fantastic fun and absolutely no problems at all. I have put 15,000 on it already. This was not my dream car but it's all you need under buget. Vw GTI owner for life. You will not be disappointed, and everyone will notice you in your 6 year old car:))

Still overpriced, but a blast to drive
By tepsicity

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I still think the GTI is overpriced for its class, considering you can't get some options available on other comparable cars (have fun trying to hook up an iPod to the system and have it work through the wheel controls and enough already with the plaid cloth seats), but DAMN is it fun to drive.

Way more fun than the Mazdaspeed 3 at least among the 2010 models, and any WRX in that realm would have been even more overpriced and driven to death.

Fair warning that I had to spend a good $3k to replace the fans in the front in a hot climate at around 67k miles. Pissed me off to put that much money into what was at that point about a $10k car, but like I said...DAMN is it fun to drive.

Seamless turbo, tons of fun, astonishing amount of room in the back, beware the wear and the stupid frat boy argyle interior, but a joy to drive.

How about when I unlock the doors the trunk also unlocks without me having to find another button? And GOD with the plaid cloth seats. Why is this still a thing?

What a car!
By cobraboy1

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow, this car is totally amazing! I spent 3months test driving all different cars in the class, bordering the class, and in classes above and beneath just to narrow down everything. In the end I decided on the Certified Pre-Owned 2010 VW GTI, which I bought for 19.5k with just 16k miles on the clock. The top three for me were, in the end, the GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, and the WRX Hatch. Third place was the WRX because while I loved the AWD and the power. I really didn't like the price, nobody orders the base models. the Speed3 was close but didn't have the refinement of the GTI.

Love the shifter, its just schick, schick, schick smooth. The power is instantaneous with darn near zero turbo lag, and with just an additional 600.00 you can get a stage 1 mod and it doesn't void the warranty giving you another 55hp! The seats are absolutely incredible and the plaid pattern is really beautiful to look at. I really really love the bi-zenon headlights that turn with you when you turn the steering wheel to go around bends, THAT was a brand new feature for me.

If I had to think of one; I hate it that to switch cds in the six disc changer you have to go through 3 different menus to get to the one to switch cds, there is no simple way to use the touch screen radio to switch cds.

Love my car
By dasboo

2010 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new in April of 2010, and currently have 36,500+ miles on it. One thing I love about this car is how practical it is. I can put the seats down and put my two black labs in the back. Yesterday I used it to transport shrubs for a landscape project. It is a blast to drive- I will take handling and driver feedback any day over power, and this car handles like a dream. A friend of mine has a 2008 STi, and while very fast and powerful, I do not find it rewarding and enjoyable to drive. The GTI is an all around incredible car- practical, fun to drive, and a joy to live with day to day. Also, MPG's are great. Currently have 420 miles on this tank.

Handling, interior design, practicality, fuel efficiency.

iPod interface is terrible. Touch screen radio is unnecessary. Bluetooth can be touchy at times.