2010 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
What a car!
By cobraboy1 on 12/01/12 16:52 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow, this car is totally amazing! I spent 3months test driving all different cars in the class, bordering the class, and in classes above and beneath just to narrow down everything. In the end I decided on the Certified Pre-Owned 2010 VW GTI, which I bought for 19.5k with just 16k miles on the clock. The top three for me were, in the end, the GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, and the WRX Hatch. Third place was the WRX because while I loved the AWD and the power. I really didn't like the price, nobody orders the base models. the Speed3 was close but didn't have the refinement of the GTI.

Love my car
By dasboo on 05/12/12 08:39 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new in April of 2010, and currently have 36,500+ miles on it. One thing I love about this car is how practical it is. I can put the seats down and put my two black labs in the back. Yesterday I used it to transport shrubs for a landscape project. It is a blast to drive- I will take handling and driver feedback any day over power, and this car handles like a dream. A friend of mine has a 2008 STi, and while very fast and powerful, I do not find it rewarding and enjoyable to drive. The GTI is an all around incredible car- practical, fun to drive, and a joy to live with day to day. Also, MPG's are great. Currently have 420 miles on this tank.

All I can say
By jmroberts1 on 02/14/12 08:15 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After owning this car for two years with absolutely no problems I am happy! I am a very satisfied with my 2010 GTI 2 door. Pretty much a base model with the dsg transmission. 35000 miles later and I am now a VW convert, I bought this as an emotional buy knowing VW's hit or miss reliability. The fit and finish is second to none and I have still not heard any unexplained rattles. Mileage has been outstanding, 32.1 overall with about 85 % being highway miles. I can get about 37 to 39 MPG's highway when I do 60 consistently and high 20's around town. Fun to drive factor is great, power is always on tap with minimal turbo lag. It handles well for fwd. Highly recommend!!!!!

Best VW to the date
By mike475 on 06/17/11 22:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owners since Dec 2009 of 4dr DSG GTI + Autobahn Package (aka leather seats and moonroof). It is great car all around. Quality is top noch (I guess no surprise here). Even MKV Jetta it looks like the car was made by different company. I love about everything about the car, so does my wife.

Refined Gem
By vw_gti on 03/27/11 13:43 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The GTI is easily the best combination of refinement, speed, value, and driving pleasure on the market. I cross-shopped the car with various others and the GTI was the winner with the closest runner-ups being the BMW 328i and the Mini Cooper. I honestly don't think the GTI competes against the various Japanese cars (i.e. Civic Si, WRX, Evo) because of its level of refinement. No, it's not as fast as the WRX or the Evo, but it provides a level of refinement and all-around usability that both of those toys can't match. It's less isolated than the luxury cars but is still blessed with a remarkably high-class interior that should be the envy of most entry-luxury drivers.

Spent half my $50K car budget
By milleman on 03/09/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had spent a year test driving 20 cars over 1000mi to decide on the car that would last me the 20yrs my last car did, a VW Corrado. Life's too short to keep driving VWs, but the final shootouts for months were between the '10 GTI and different flavors of 1 and 3 series BMW coupes. I was not cross-shopping any of the Japanese "hot hatches".

Obsessed with my car
By npsgti on 01/28/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got this car CPO with 9k miles on it a month and a half ago and have put about a thousand miles on it since. This car is incredible. I was in a Mazda3 for a while before this car and this car just blows it away on every level. Interior is high quality on par with Audi etc. Excellent touch screen stereo and iPod interface with a very high attention to detail from the leather wrapped flat bottom steering wheel to the subtle red stitching throughout. Very comfortable seats etc. The engine (2liter turbo) coupled with 6 speed manual (how could you get the DSG??) is a dream. Seemingly bottomless torque and plenty of power when I need it with a nice exhaust sound. Excellent exterior design. Grade A

One Year Later--grin still plastered on face.
By mjjackson76 on 01/05/11 21:51 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my GTI (4dr, manual, 18s) for just over a year, and I'm still enamored with the car. It's solid, speedy, handles amazingly well. Yes, could use more power, but I don't need it. Handling is what makes the car so fun. Ride is a bit harsh on bad pavement, but who cares? Buy a couch on wheels if you so desire. Stereo is fantastic but touchscreen is difficult while driving, shifter precise, engine note perfectly tuned and gas mileage good on the highway--26-28mpg on spririted freeway stints at 90mph; 33 best; 13 in city worst. Two issues: brake pad came apart at 4000 miles; rattles from pas. b-pillar at 8800 miles. No big deal--all replaced under warranty quickly. Can't wait for R20.

Great value, no peers
By Seth on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car to replace my 2000 Acura RL. I wanted a car that was fun to drive above all else, but also one that was a good daily driver and fit my active lifestyle. I considered the following vehicles: Acura TSX, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mazdaspeed 3, VW CC and GTI, and Subaru WRX and STi. In the end the GTI ended up winning. It is, IMO, the best combination of fun to drive and nice to live with for the money. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. If you are looking for a car to love, not just drive, I highly recommend it. I love mine. My wife and I did a 3700 mile road trip in it, and it was flawless.

Can you say lemon?
By Synthtek on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Love the car, love the interior, fun to drive...When it works... Car has broken down once in the first six months and need to be towed. Since that time it has been to the dealer 3 times for misfires and engine stalling out. This is a DSG vehicle... I've made three reports to NHTSA and the car is currently in the shop again... Never had a vehicle before that's been so unreliable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$142 per month*