2009 Volkswagen GTI 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - King of Hot Hatches

2009 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

King of Hot Hatches
By Henry on

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very fun to drive. Handles amazingly well on windy roads. Braking is good enough. Great engine noise. No turbo lag whatsoever. Has all the power you would ever need in a front wheel drive car. Love the horseshoe wheels, though I got the 17" ones since I parallel park so much (already have some marring). I had a 08 Rabbit before and all the little improvements are completely worth it. I'm nervous about the resale value and long term reliability being a VW, although I like this car so much I can't see parting with it while it still runs. Plan to have it for a long time. Very easy to park in the city being a small 2 door hatch.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel w/ volume controls, standard heated plaid seats w/ lumbar support, fancy pedals including fancy dead pedal, 6 speed manual gearbox, horseshoe wheels, ESP, free maintenance for first 36000 miles. Love that VW still sells a hot hatch in the states unlike Ford and Honda. It's best anyway

Suggested Improvements

Factory iPod control is abysmal. The default AUX in works much better, and it's free. Quick recline seats would be nice. Cruise control would be better on the steering wheel. It is somewhat clumsy to have it on the turn signal wand. Wish it still had the headlight washing system.