2009 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
King of Hot Hatches
By Henry on 01/03/09 19:37 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very fun to drive. Handles amazingly well on windy roads. Braking is good enough. Great engine noise. No turbo lag whatsoever. Has all the power you would ever need in a front wheel drive car. Love the horseshoe wheels, though I got the 17" ones since I parallel park so much (already have some marring). I had a 08 Rabbit before and all the little improvements are completely worth it. I'm nervous about the resale value and long term reliability being a VW, although I like this car so much I can't see parting with it while it still runs. Plan to have it for a long time. Very easy to park in the city being a small 2 door hatch.

Small Car Big Performance
By Dave on 12/28/08 14:01 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

OK I have owned my 09 GTI for one week and find it not only a sharp and comfortable but great performer or run it smartly to get great gas mileage. Mine has the six speed auto and I find the shift petals on the steering wheel not only a great location but fast response from the gear box. My GTI came loaded with leather seats Satellite radio and many more features which makes for a very comfortable ride

Decently awesome after a month!!
By Heimbachae on 12/23/08 03:27 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

First thing I noticed is that this car isn't as fast off the line as the 1.8T I had (04 Jetta GLI). It had an upgraded ECU, but even with that turned off it was quicker than the TSI 2.0T that is in this new car. This is probably due to the fact the MK5 is a much bigger car than the MK4. Other than speed off the line this car is my saving grace. It is much smoother than the MK4 Jetta I had, and on long rides it's so nice. Manual is a must on this car. Also, I should have gotten the upgraded stereo because sometimes I just want to rock out that 6 free months of Sirius (could sound better) Do NOT get additional ipod adapter plug in that is in center console. GET JUST THE HEADPHONE JACK!!

Wonderful car
By Jason on 11/16/08 21:52 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I just got my '09 GTI, and LOVE it! I traded in my '06 Audi A3, which had the same engine, and many similar features, but the GTI feels so much sportier. The engine is great, and DSG is awesome. I still have to gently break it in, so look forward to the day I can really test the limits :)

Fun Fun Fun
By Bob T on 11/04/08 07:05 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Wanted a sports car wife, wanted 4 door SUV. Great compromise, handles like a sports car, fun to drive, gives us 4 doors and a little room in the back to carry stuff. Very responsive. Fun to drive good solid feeling and safety features. I recommend to anyone. Great price for a lot of fun and safety.

Great MPG and Fun to Drive!
By Campbell on 10/16/08 09:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

We needed to upsize from my 2 seater to something our growing family. The VW can hold 5 for lunch or 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably. My commute is 35 miles each way, this thing is great for moving through traffic on the freeway. It has a quiet interior and solid feel. The ride is superb. While some of the competition is stiffer and rolls less, that is a very low percentage of the real world driving needs. It is fun to drive in a nicely composed package.

City Beater
By Steve on 09/25/08 14:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I needed a city car, for down town Toronto driving -so we bought the DSG - finding myself using the paddles more often, to get the responsiveness I want . Love the car - beats driving the Mini Van ;)

German Engineering
By Andy on 08/23/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought my GRAY 09 GTI this morning. Didn't go for the DSG, which costs 1200 more. Like the manual gear, just like in Germany. Very responsive and fast. the suspension is hard so you might feel a little bit bumpy. Like the SUNROOF and 18" all season tire. 24K is fair enough for such a car.

Nice so far!
By vegasjon on 07/31/08 23:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought right off the truck yesterday! Fast, responsive, limited torque steer, and corners well on the 18" summer tires. AC is a bit weak in the Las Vegas heat (117 degrees!) but that's not normal summer heat for most. My other car is a BMW 330i and the VW is as much fun to drive...I do miss some standard luxuries such as built-in Bluetooth, but for 24K I'm not gonna be picky. This car is well built, solid, and performs as a German engineered vehicle should. Turbo lag is nonexistent for the most part, and the 6-speed tranny is descent, a little long on the throw distance. (I bought the standard not the DSG). Good by overall, I would recommend it to the budget sports buyer.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$137 per month*