2009 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
rear hatch washer leaks
By Tom Doran on 09/22/09 15:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, just what I expected and am very pleased with just about everything on the car. This is an Autobahn with 6-speed and shifts like a dream. For some reason the rear hatch washer leaks on the hatch window when open and leaks when the hatch is closed. Been to selling dealer 5 times and tech support has been contacted. Per tech, installed Tiguan check valve and the thing still leaks washer fluid. Anyone else have this problem?

Terrific Hot Hatch
By Gnslngr on 08/27/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Looked for a car that had the utility of a four door hatch and was fun to drive - the GTI beats almost every other car on the market in the Fun-To-Drive category. There are some great forums for this car and some cool mods you can put on it. I'm getting 30 mph even when I drive it like an F1 car. Fun, Fun, Fun 'til my wife takes the GTI away......... Oh, yea - don't forget the Launch Control. It's a blast with the DSG and makes the car, with the paddle shifters, the coolest little hatchback on the planet.

Great Car
By Denis on 08/10/09 08:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Have had the car for 2 mo. What a great ride! I was looking for comfortable seating and 4 dr. The seating issues ruled out the Honda's and Nissan's. The doors ruled out the Mini. The car has taken a bit of getting used to the ride (a bit stiffer than my 97 Golf), but the control and response will just put a grin on your face every time. That and the fact that this ting gets up and scoots. All this and I just got 33 mpg on a recent trip up to northern CA. Averaging 26+ combined driving over 2k miles on the car. Go VW.

Great Decision
By stephen on 07/30/09 08:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Had the car 2 weeks and have nearly 2K miles on it, wont be driving it that much after the summer. I sold my 2001 182K mile Passat on Craigslist in 36 hours and was looking at a 2007 Lexus IS250. Tried to make 4 different deals for the lexus's but no one wanted to budge. Got fed up and went back to VW and got a the loaded GTI autobahn package for less than a 2 year old lexus. Apples and Oranges I know but I do enjoy the GTI, had many many compliments on it already. The sport seats are a little narrow and took a while to get used to but now I quite enjoy it. Hope the quality rivals the old Passat, that car would have been good for another 100K.

The best adult hatchback in the group
By Mark on 05/26/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I really wanted a smaller car, with decent gas mileage, good performance and a somewhat upscale feel without spending 40K. I also need a back seat for occasional passenger transportation. I looked at the civics, and just could not do it, it's seems like a kids car to me, I also looked at The toyota corrola (better gas mileage, but the most boring vehicle) absolutely no fun to drive. After test driving the GTI, I was sold, it was perfect, sporty, but comfortable, easy power, not a brute, easy to maneuver in the city, quick acceleration for passing and the best interior of the cars I tested. I'm 40 years old, and this car is a blast, but also very practical.

Nothing short of Amazing
By Vanbosch on 05/20/09 09:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in my 2008.5 Mazda 3 Hatchback for my 09 GTI. After driving my wife’s 09 Rabbit I was sold on VW's build quality and driving dynamics but wanted something sportier than my 3. I absolutely hate the boy racer look of the new 2010 Speed3. I got an amazing deal on my GTI and haven't stopped smiling since I parked it in my driveway. The new GTI is one of the best purchases I have ever made and have zero regrets trading in the Mazda. Volkswagen has earned a life long customer from my wife and me with their fun to drive, reliable and well built vehicles. The GTI satisfies in every way. From the precise handling to the punchy 2.0 Turbo engine and quality feel, I could not be more pleased.

Good to be in a VW again!
By GTI Owner on 05/03/09 06:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The GTI is a great all-around sporty car. Good power, no turbo lag, good handling, nice interior with lots of room, good fuel economy, and it feels & drives like a more expensive vehicle. It may not have the outright power of a WRX, but the refinement and fun are a great combination for me. It handles great, is quiet going down the road, and I'm getting mileage in the mid-20's around town. It inspires confidence on back roads, and never feels like you are asking it to do something it doesn't want to.

I like it
By gatlin69 on 04/23/09 15:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this for a few weeks and I can say it is a very fun car to drive. I was a bit disappointed that there was no bluetooth. Everything feels very solid and I can say the seats are very comfortable. I would opt for the 6 manual, but I have heard from other owners that the DSG was a blast. I am not a big fan of the plaid...so I opted for the leather...more power options for the seats would be nice and I dont like the roll switch for the heated seats (but they do work good). I had one major issue I got the 18in wheels and sunroof package and with such low profile tires 250 miles I hit a pot hole and had to replace the tire.

Awesome/Practical/Affordable car
By Vaughan on 03/31/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my GTI for about 7 months now, and I still get excited every time I get behind the wheel. It's got the style, performance, reliability and practicality covered, and it doesn't break the bank to own one. Great car!

Great Engine, Tranny and Suspension But.
By Jack on 01/24/09 15:20 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Engine is first rate with very little turbo lag and it has great torque throughout the RPM range. Handling is very good for FWD car and DSG transmission is awesome. Lightning quick shifts. Interior has nice materials and good ergonomics. Seats are great as is the steering wheel. VW got the big stuff right with the GTI. Unfortunately, the little details are what they missed. With only 1,000 miles on the clock my seat squeaks, my dash squeaks over every bump, my rear hatch rattles over bumps and there is an engine rattle between 2500 and 3000 RPM which is an issue with other MKV GTI's too. Unacceptable in a new car. I heard VW has terrible quality control and now I believe it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$138 per month*