Used 2009 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Great Car, Very Problematic
By VW EHHH :(

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car and it seems I got unlucky with the buy vs other GTI owners who have never had any issues with the car. It has been one year, and already I have had about 3 major repairs done to the car. The car is great to drive, very fun, but I guess in my case very problematic and have been to the dealer with repairs in the last year over 7 times. From electrical issues, to an intake manifold being cracked from bad mold casting, to air conditioning falling apart and need replacement. However, I do recommend you purchase an extended warranty and VW has completed all repairs, but as far as satisfaction with the car. I am VERY VERY displeased and dissatisfied.

Extremely fun to drive, torque and safe

I suggest, getting an extended warranty and cross your fingers you don't get a bad car from the bunch.

possibly the greatest daily of all time
By eldaino2

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

i can think of a more unbeatable combination of style, performance, and daily driveability. if you want a sport compact that can haul stuff, and people, efficiently, quietly, stylishly and look just at home on the track or local meet as it does taking your wife to a nice restaurant downtown and your kids to school, this is it. it strikes the perfect balance between sport and comfort (with a lean towards sport). other cars like the speed 3 and cobalt ss may be faster and handle a bit better, but they are by small margins, and those margins are not big enough to overlook what the GTI offers compared to those vehicles. a one trick pony it is not, but it very well may be the best dd of all time.

EPIC high speed stability, perfectd crash test scores, flawless and high quality interior (best in class), potent amounts of low and mid range torque, quiet, perfect ride handling balance, wonderful exhaust note and the seats and steering wheel are second to none. oh and the plaid is the way to go.

mostly all addressed with the MKVI, body roll could stand to be a bit more in check, and an easier way to adjust the seating (a la honda). aside from that not much else!

Fun, Fast, Sporty, yet Good Family
By Mike

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for a month now. I will not coment on reliability, because at this point its unknown, although nothing so far. This car really has some of the most comfortable seats I have been in. My wife says the same, and she usually doesn't care much. It has very quick performance and get pass very easily, even in 6th gear. It gets pretty good fuel economy, about 27.5 overall, and I got as much as 34 on the highway average (although it takes Premium fuel).

Performance, Seats, Stereo, Styling

More convenient location for Aux input

No regrets
By Mr. Shandman

2009 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I didn't want to spend over 20k on my first car, but when I test drove this car, I didn't want to stop. It is so fun to drive and so comfortable. I've gotten endless complements on this car. I got the 18 inch wheels and the winter mats inside. I fell in love with the plaid seats as well.

Sound system (10 speakers), seats, Ipod/Aux, 6 CD changer, fog lights, interior design and lighting, turbo engine, power moon roof, and a combination of all the little things you notice when you start driving it.

The hatch is about 2 inches too narrow to fit my golf clubs in comfortably without taking my driver out of the bag. That is my only complaint.

Wow fun in this pocket rocket!
By Larry Orischak

2009 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! I looked at everything in it's class and just kept coming back to it! Have had for a year and it is still fantastic experience! Handling is superb and gas mileage is a real surprise and no On highway crossing Utah had cruise control set at 82mph and was getting 27 miles per gal. Around town 32 miles per gal.plus. Pick up is terrific and blows me away! and handling is tight and responsive! Seats are excellent for quick turns and no problems on long trips. Space in back is probably bigger than anything in it's class. Dash and controls are easy to read and to control. I have had some great cars in my 45 years of driving but this is the most fun yet! Love driving it!

Pick up and handling is a kick! Seats fold down are real easy!