Used 2009 Volkswagen GTI Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Understated Elegance with a load of Zip
By macdawg

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but none have captured my heart like my Red GTI, with the six-speed manual. Have had it for 5 months, and put on 9,000 miles, with not a single issue, other than too much fun. I have to keep myself from making up reasons to run errands. Versatile, balanced, beautiful, compact but solid, easy to park, it flies like a mother, and is equally composed when cruising in a 25 mph zone. More fun to drive than my old AUDI A4, comparable to the 3-series we had. I'm not sure I'll ever want to own another car than a GTI.

I thought it was funny what reviewers said about the steering wheel, until I actually drove this car, and then I realized what they were talking about. I love the way it looks--the honeycomb grill, the blade wheels, it's like a shrunken down X3. The clutch and gearbox are remarkably forgiving for a car of such a sporty nature. It's almost impossible to make a bad throw.

Nitpicks: because of the slope of the doors, when it's raining, the windows have to be up, or water gets in. The audio could be a little better, but then again, the overall experience of driving this car is so pleasurable, I can hardly complain. I've been spoiled by my Mark Levinsohn Lexus audio.

VW reliability ad makes me wan to scream
By cla

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

34,000 miles on my 2009 GTI and 2 intake manifold replacements - done under warranty - Time for car shopping!

Handling is smooth making it fun to drive!

If you choose to tout reliability - better make it a reality!

Great Car, Very Problematic
By VW EHHH :(

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car and it seems I got unlucky with the buy vs other GTI owners who have never had any issues with the car. It has been one year, and already I have had about 3 major repairs done to the car. The car is great to drive, very fun, but I guess in my case very problematic and have been to the dealer with repairs in the last year over 7 times. From electrical issues, to an intake manifold being cracked from bad mold casting, to air conditioning falling apart and need replacement. However, I do recommend you purchase an extended warranty and VW has completed all repairs, but as far as satisfaction with the car. I am VERY VERY displeased and dissatisfied.

Extremely fun to drive, torque and safe

I suggest, getting an extended warranty and cross your fingers you don't get a bad car from the bunch.

Wow fun in this pocket rocket!
By Larry Orischak

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! I looked at everything in it's class and just kept coming back to it! Have had for a year and it is still fantastic experience! Handling is superb and gas mileage is a real surprise and no On highway crossing Utah had cruise control set at 82mph and was getting 27 miles per gal. Around town 32 miles per gal.plus. Pick up is terrific and blows me away! and handling is tight and responsive! Seats are excellent for quick turns and no problems on long trips. Space in back is probably bigger than anything in it's class. Dash and controls are easy to read and to control. I have had some great cars in my 45 years of driving but this is the most fun yet! Love driving it!

Pick up and handling is a kick! Seats fold down are real easy!

rear hatch washer leaks
By Tom Doran

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, just what I expected and am very pleased with just about everything on the car. This is an Autobahn with 6-speed and shifts like a dream. For some reason the rear hatch washer leaks on the hatch window when open and leaks when the hatch is closed. Been to selling dealer 5 times and tech support has been contacted. Per tech, installed Tiguan check valve and the thing still leaks washer fluid. Anyone else have this problem?

Great style, paint and body fits and performance is outstanding. Getting 25.8 mpg running around Phoenix and back and forth to dealer trying to get leak corrected

Shorten the clutch pedal travel