2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Understated Elegance with a load of Zip
By macdawg on 05/23/12 16:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but none have captured my heart like my Red GTI, with the six-speed manual. Have had it for 5 months, and put on 9,000 miles, with not a single issue, other than too much fun. I have to keep myself from making up reasons to run errands. Versatile, balanced, beautiful, compact but solid, easy to park, it flies like a mother, and is equally composed when cruising in a 25 mph zone. More fun to drive than my old AUDI A4, comparable to the 3-series we had. I'm not sure I'll ever want to own another car than a GTI.

VW reliability ad makes me wan to scream
By cla on 08/25/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

34,000 miles on my 2009 GTI and 2 intake manifold replacements - done under warranty - Time for car shopping!

Great Car, Very Problematic
By VW EHHH :( on 07/03/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car and it seems I got unlucky with the buy vs other GTI owners who have never had any issues with the car. It has been one year, and already I have had about 3 major repairs done to the car. The car is great to drive, very fun, but I guess in my case very problematic and have been to the dealer with repairs in the last year over 7 times. From electrical issues, to an intake manifold being cracked from bad mold casting, to air conditioning falling apart and need replacement. However, I do recommend you purchase an extended warranty and VW has completed all repairs, but as far as satisfaction with the car. I am VERY VERY displeased and dissatisfied.

Wow fun in this pocket rocket!
By Larry Orischak on 01/26/10 17:39 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! I looked at everything in it's class and just kept coming back to it! Have had for a year and it is still fantastic experience! Handling is superb and gas mileage is a real surprise and no On highway crossing Utah had cruise control set at 82mph and was getting 27 miles per gal. Around town 32 miles per gal.plus. Pick up is terrific and blows me away! and handling is tight and responsive! Seats are excellent for quick turns and no problems on long trips. Space in back is probably bigger than anything in it's class. Dash and controls are easy to read and to control. I have had some great cars in my 45 years of driving but this is the most fun yet! Love driving it!

rear hatch washer leaks
By Tom Doran on 09/22/09 15:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, just what I expected and am very pleased with just about everything on the car. This is an Autobahn with 6-speed and shifts like a dream. For some reason the rear hatch washer leaks on the hatch window when open and leaks when the hatch is closed. Been to selling dealer 5 times and tech support has been contacted. Per tech, installed Tiguan check valve and the thing still leaks washer fluid. Anyone else have this problem?

Awesome/Practical/Affordable car
By Vaughan on 03/31/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my GTI for about 7 months now, and I still get excited every time I get behind the wheel. It's got the style, performance, reliability and practicality covered, and it doesn't break the bank to own one. Great car!

German Engineering
By Andy on 08/23/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought my GRAY 09 GTI this morning. Didn't go for the DSG, which costs 1200 more. Like the manual gear, just like in Germany. Very responsive and fast. the suspension is hard so you might feel a little bit bumpy. Like the SUNROOF and 18" all season tire. 24K is fair enough for such a car.

Nice so far!
By vegasjon on 07/31/08 23:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought right off the truck yesterday! Fast, responsive, limited torque steer, and corners well on the 18" summer tires. AC is a bit weak in the Las Vegas heat (117 degrees!) but that's not normal summer heat for most. My other car is a BMW 330i and the VW is as much fun to drive...I do miss some standard luxuries such as built-in Bluetooth, but for 24K I'm not gonna be picky. This car is well built, solid, and performs as a German engineered vehicle should. Turbo lag is nonexistent for the most part, and the 6-speed tranny is descent, a little long on the throw distance. (I bought the standard not the DSG). Good by overall, I would recommend it to the budget sports buyer.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*