2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great fun with utility and economy to boot
By scottie3000 on 07/17/12 04:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have owned this car since new and took delivery in Feb 09. I have had the computer re-flashed to make more power, and I think this is how the car should have come from the factory. It is a claimed 300 lb/ft and 250 hp. The torque is what is great about this car. Just push the pedal and it goes! No drama, just thrust. I average about 29 MPG overall through mixed driving. Issues: My brake pads in the front did not engage the rotor fully, replaced bythe dealer and now they're great. Random rattles in the dash and rear seat area. The transmission occasionally jerks when pulling away from a stop. No reliability issues and these have been very minor for an overall good car

Understated Elegance with a load of Zip
By macdawg on 05/23/12 16:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a lot of cars, but none have captured my heart like my Red GTI, with the six-speed manual. Have had it for 5 months, and put on 9,000 miles, with not a single issue, other than too much fun. I have to keep myself from making up reasons to run errands. Versatile, balanced, beautiful, compact but solid, easy to park, it flies like a mother, and is equally composed when cruising in a 25 mph zone. More fun to drive than my old AUDI A4, comparable to the 3-series we had. I'm not sure I'll ever want to own another car than a GTI.

Hated to see it go
By cibaknife on 07/07/11 12:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

First let me say this car is a blast to drive. Economical on gas, although it requires premium. Almost Audi-like quality for a much lower price. The most entertaining car I have ever had. I looked forward to driving it. The hatchback versatility was great. Now the bad: the first battery lasted about a year and gave out in the middle of a road trip. CEL came on another trip for an intake sensor. At 50k miles the intake manifold had to be placed. At 55K the mass airflow sensor went. Dealership had poor service. I got the car back from them and sold it. I don't have time to sit in a VW dealership or be without a car for weeks at a time. Hated to see it go, though.

VW reliability ad makes me wan to scream
By cla on 08/25/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

34,000 miles on my 2009 GTI and 2 intake manifold replacements - done under warranty - Time for car shopping!

Great Car, Very Problematic
By VW EHHH :( on 07/03/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car and it seems I got unlucky with the buy vs other GTI owners who have never had any issues with the car. It has been one year, and already I have had about 3 major repairs done to the car. The car is great to drive, very fun, but I guess in my case very problematic and have been to the dealer with repairs in the last year over 7 times. From electrical issues, to an intake manifold being cracked from bad mold casting, to air conditioning falling apart and need replacement. However, I do recommend you purchase an extended warranty and VW has completed all repairs, but as far as satisfaction with the car. I am VERY VERY displeased and dissatisfied.

possibly the greatest daily of all time
By eldaino2 on 03/23/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

i can think of a more unbeatable combination of style, performance, and daily driveability. if you want a sport compact that can haul stuff, and people, efficiently, quietly, stylishly and look just at home on the track or local meet as it does taking your wife to a nice restaurant downtown and your kids to school, this is it. it strikes the perfect balance between sport and comfort (with a lean towards sport). other cars like the speed 3 and cobalt ss may be faster and handle a bit better, but they are by small margins, and those margins are not big enough to overlook what the GTI offers compared to those vehicles. a one trick pony it is not, but it very well may be the best dd of all time.

Fun, Fast, Sporty, yet Good Family
By Mike on 03/04/10 14:42 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for a month now. I will not coment on reliability, because at this point its unknown, although nothing so far. This car really has some of the most comfortable seats I have been in. My wife says the same, and she usually doesn't care much. It has very quick performance and get pass very easily, even in 6th gear. It gets pretty good fuel economy, about 27.5 overall, and I got as much as 34 on the highway average (although it takes Premium fuel).

No regrets
By Mr. Shandman on 02/27/10 13:52 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I didn't want to spend over 20k on my first car, but when I test drove this car, I didn't want to stop. It is so fun to drive and so comfortable. I've gotten endless complements on this car. I got the 18 inch wheels and the winter mats inside. I fell in love with the plaid seats as well.

Wow fun in this pocket rocket!
By Larry Orischak on 01/26/10 17:39 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! I looked at everything in it's class and just kept coming back to it! Have had for a year and it is still fantastic experience! Handling is superb and gas mileage is a real surprise and no On highway crossing Utah had cruise control set at 82mph and was getting 27 miles per gal. Around town 32 miles per gal.plus. Pick up is terrific and blows me away! and handling is tight and responsive! Seats are excellent for quick turns and no problems on long trips. Space in back is probably bigger than anything in it's class. Dash and controls are easy to read and to control. I have had some great cars in my 45 years of driving but this is the most fun yet! Love driving it!

Have never looked back
By Matt on 11/15/09 09:16 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 5th VW in my years. I grew up on them. I've wanted a GTI like mine for many years. Black on black. I wanted a car that would be fun and give me good gas mileage at the same time, and this thing does it all. I live in an area with awesome curvy roads and I truly enjoy driving it. I average 28 mpg in everyday driving. You can't go wrong with it as a family car as well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*