2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Sports car, SUV, city runabout

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

Sports car, SUV, city runabout all-in-1!
By Bob on

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car acts as: (1) a sport scar because it is a blast to drive, (2) an suv because it hauls lots of people/stuff and is very user friendly/utilitarian, (3) a city runabout due to small size/easy to park and good on gas (31-35 mpg on highway depending on speed). This car is as fun to drive as my boxster S. Not overly flashy or showy but still looks "hip". I think VWs leather is plasticky so I got the cloth. Can be chipped for around $600 to get about 40 more hp if so inclined. The weak points of this car are well known due to tuners upgrading them to 300+ hp and no major issues if left stock or slightly modified. DSG is amazing and satisfies both automatic and manual drivers.

Turbo acceleration makes you want to push this car faster and faster. It is extremely willing. Very communicative handling and very nimble car. Interior excellent. Interior usability is exc. DSG simply amazing. Do a test drive in S mode and also try the manual shift. DSG blows me away everyday.

Higher road noise than some other cars but not bad. Some rattles on the interior which can be fixed via VW's spray lubricant but it is still a bit annoying. 2.0 turbo is excellent motor but louder at idle than what I am used to.