Great car for the money
By Josh on
2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I leased the 08 GTI as an emergency replacement for my beloved A4, which was rear-ended at an on-ramp light, and have been pretty happy with my stand-in. The car is a blast to drive and feels solid... all at around 20k! The interior styling is passable and the exterior is pretty awesome for a hatchback. I am very impressed with the engine and the turbo lag hasn't really annoyed as I thought it might. The only problem I've had, which worries me a bit, is the tranny. It doesn't always want to go into reverse and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor on one occasion. I don't know if this is a singular issue with my car or it's a model issue. Overall though, puts a smile on face on a daily basis.
Favorite Features
Tight driving car at this price. Up to 30 mpg. Reasonably priced. Quirky plaid seats are growing on me. Instrumentation is well done.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission is suspect. Stereo display is cheap looking compared to other instrumentation. Cloth seat bucket sides seem prone to wear. Teasing us with inoperable Euro feature buttons on steering wheel seems cruel.