2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Eine Kleine GTI!!!

2008 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automated Manual w/Prod. End 05/08)

Eine Kleine GTI!!!
By Pasnbyu on

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I needed to upsize my daily driver from a '03 MINI Cooper to something fun with 4 dr (2 preschoolers) & the 4 dr GTI was at the top of my list because of the DSG transmission (this is the tranny wave of the future!). Even after 3 months, I am still stunned by the overall refinement level - handling/stability at speed, acceleration, braking, seats, & lights are all fabulous. There is absolutely no torque steer (I hate torque steer & would notice even a hint of it). When I have my 1st service, I'll ask about the radio display (I think it's computer needs to be reflashed since speed sensative volume & name scrolling don't seem to work), but that's the only "quality" issue. The GTI is back!!!

1)No torque steer! Terrific steering feel/response-especially upon initial turn in. 2)DSG/paddle shifters coupled to 2.0 turbo I4. 3)Overall ride dynamics-balance between crisp/controlled handling & smoothing out frost heaved roads. 4)Red "night vision" lights that shine onto center console.

1) Change radio display backlight- either darken text or tone down/change blue background. 2) Wipers are recessed under hood at rest-so you can't lift them to squeegee/scrape ice. 3) Add Driver seat/mirror mem as a safety feature-easier to share the fun! 4)Seat heaters take too long (5-7 min).