Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

American Thunder to Pocket Rocket
By Greg

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

When I released my beloved Cadillac CTS-V(400HP, 6 spd) to my son, I with serious trepidation, approached my next daily driver purchase. After not being impressed with the frivolous gimmickry and weight of most Asian cars nor upscale pricing of the elite Europeans, I found the GTI to offer the highest fun per dollar while being environmentally friendly (relative) and with no unnecessary accessories. It is, I found, more than than it; is a fully serviceable quality machine, that makes you feel good to drive. Its build quality is on a par with the best, and I am well pleased with my decision.

Solidity, performance, ASG mode flexibility including F-1 style launch control, seating, in fact almost everything - see below

More steering feedback please and limited slip or posi would be a great asset especially with front wheel drive.

Switched from Honda
By Goose

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've been a Honda customer for over ten years. I've had an Integra, Civic (1995-2006 models), Accord, CL. I test drove the latest Accord and 2009 TSX. They are all very good vehicles. However they are boring. At least compared with the GTI. The moment I drove off the dealer lot on the test drive I new the car was different. Different in a good way relative to Honda products in this general price zone. The car is quieter inside, it feels solid. I love the DSG and the fuel economy is very good for a turbo. I want to speed off at every light but prefer to drive mellow so I can watch the drivers looking at my GTI as they drive off. If I need to speed off its waiting on my input :)

Solid feel, the power when needed, DSG, the seats (cloth), overall outside look, xenon lights.

Getting an iPod option should be dealer install. The key could be trimmed in bulk size.

VW LOVE
By Kyle

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After driving several more expensive "luxury" hatches I drove the new GTI and it put them all to shame. It is fun and sporty and the by far the most bang for the buck!!

6 speed is smooth and i have always loved the blue and red dash lighting.

heated seats option without having to purchase the autobahn package

Perfect package
By mgh

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a great mix of way fun to drive, very respectable gas mileage, useful features, and overall grin inducing ownership. The driver is pampered in a GTI; great seats, superb steering wheel, quality switches, tight handling. Now that I've put almost 5,000 miles on it, the fuel economy is starting to improve. Started out at 25 mpg on a hilly highway commute, now I'm up to 33 mpg - very timely.

Punch when you want it, fuel economy, driver's environment.

Nothing the after market can't and shouldn't fix.

Bought it yesterday
By bbramely

I have been researching cars for about 7 months. I was looking at this, an accord coupe, a g6 gt, and mini cooper s, and so on. I knew that whatever car I got into I would be happy with and I feel content with my lease. I am about to graduate from college and got a great job, so this is my first car in my name. Big experience for me. I am such a car guy so I put a lot of time into this and found that rating for rating, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, i made the right choice.

DSG, heated seats, sunroof, bi xenon headlights, premium sound system, body kit,a few other features. the only thing mine doesn't have is the dvd nav and autobahn package. for 3000, I didn't need it (nor could they find it).

Remote start, power adjustable seats. higher arm rest and louder exhaust note (being very picky, like i said, I'm such a car guy. Still sounds GREAT!)