2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Performance without pretension
By JTi on 02/23/08 22:07 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have owned and driven a lot of different cars over the past 27 years, from true two-seater sports cars to sport/lux sedans. So take that into account when I say that this car is flat out a blast to drive! I live in an area where everyone has (or wants) a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc., and being one to never be comfortable following the crowd, I took the advice of Car and Driver and Edmunds and gave the GTI a spin. Great little car inside and out. I opted to bloat the price by loading it up with everything but nav, but it was well worth it. More sophisticated drive than the the MazdaSpeed3 with comparable performance and better looks (IMO).

Look forward to driving my GTI
By Ghetdo on 01/28/08 12:15 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Compared this car with the Subaru Legacy, but settled on the GTI based on friend's recommendation and fun driving experience. I only have 2,700 miles on it so far, but it's been very fun to toss this car around. Friends and family alike have been impressed with looks and performance. DSG takes a little time to get used to (tend to be jerky at low speeds), but once you get the hang of it, very fun and intuitive and the middle gears (2-4) pulls very well. Regular drive mode is useful when you don't feel like messing around with gear changes (i.e. traffic). Overall, very satisfied with this car. Hopefully, long term reliability and dealer service will not be a hassle.

My GTi is a Hoot to drive!!
By ChiefSectionB on 01/23/08 09:12 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This German Rocket is the most fun I've had in a car!! Autobahn package worth the price. Handles great. The exhaust note is sublime... no mods needed. Performance/price ratio is off the chart. First tank mixed town/country driving was 27.6 MPG, and 2nd tank interstate driving (75-80 MPH) was 28.8 MPG.

Eine Kleine GTI!!!
By Pasnbyu on 01/14/08 20:15 PM (PST)

I needed to upsize my daily driver from a '03 MINI Cooper to something fun with 4 dr (2 preschoolers) & the 4 dr GTI was at the top of my list because of the DSG transmission (this is the tranny wave of the future!). Even after 3 months, I am still stunned by the overall refinement level - handling/stability at speed, acceleration, braking, seats, & lights are all fabulous. There is absolutely no torque steer (I hate torque steer & would notice even a hint of it). When I have my 1st service, I'll ask about the radio display (I think it's computer needs to be reflashed since speed sensative volume & name scrolling don't seem to work), but that's the only "quality" issue. The GTI is back!!!

Falls Short of the Mazda3
By Rob on 01/03/08 21:05 PM (PST)

While the 08 GTI is fun to drive and well designed, it still falls short of the competition. The steering feels much heavier than what one would expect in a sport tuned hatch. The performance of the automatic transmission is also sub-par, as it frequently shifts to higher gears too quickly causing the engine to strain and grumble. I’ve ended up using the paddle shifters to correct the problem. My 05 Mazda3 (S) with automatic transmission and 156hp had better handling and off the line acceleration.

What fun!
By junior on 01/03/08 05:02 AM (PST)

I looked at many different cars, but found none to be more fun than the GTI. It's well built, well priced and is truly a joy to drive. The transmission is easily the best automatic that I've ever driven and the F-1 style paddles make the manual mode fun. It's also as practical as a station wagen. In short, for the money, I'm could find nothing better.

Bye-Bye STi
By David Bond Jr. on 12/27/07 06:38 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Last year I had to go down to one car. I thought a Subaru STi Limited would satisfy my need for scalding performance, reliability, a warranty and 4 doors. After driving the STi daily for a full year, I realized that driving a race car to work every day was not as much fun as it sounded. The GTI is fantastic; quiet, refined, good ride, handles exceptionally well for a front driver. This car makes for a great enthusiasts's daily driver. The Autobahn package is worth every penny. The car swallowed a a surprising amount of stuff on a trip to the home improvement store [including a 7' long mailbox post via the pass through], with two kids in the back. A great vehicle.

Love my 2008 GTI
By David on 12/04/07 09:53 AM (PST)

Unsure where to start. I just love this car. It drives great, very good acceleration and handling and I'm averaging 28 MPG combined driving! Everyone compliments on how great it looks and how the interior feels so great. Everytime I walk up to the GTI it makes me smile. If the car was totalled for some reason I be at the VW dealership the next day to buy another one.

A good idea
By ed on 11/25/07 23:44 PM (PST)

I had a '91 GTI 16 valve when I was in high school, it was a matter of time before I got another one. I traded in my '04 Passat 4-Motion for a new '08 GTI and am happy I did. I went for the 4 door, Autobahn package and 18" rims. I've had the car for almost 4 weeks and like it more every day. Styling, handling and acceleration are great, as is gas mileage and comfort. Car feels like a BMW inside and performs like a car twice its price. I was shocked how quick it is and the 6 speed manual makes it that that much more fun to drive.

My first VW
By Sam on 11/12/07 21:28 PM (PST)

Test-drove a friend's GTI; I was so impressed I traded in a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT. As expected, I took a pretty good beating on the trade in. But it has been worth it, the GTI is a much more refined driving experience than the Speed 3, the suspension is more compliant to road irregularities and the turbo power plant provides power with virtually no wait time for the turbo to spool up to boost. On paper it is not as fast as the Mazdaspeed 3 but you would swear that is. Quality materials and workmanship throughout, engine and DSG are matched prefectly and is a really wonderful piece of engineering.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in WA is:

$175 per month*