Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

So far so good
By GTI-UP

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned many VW's in the past, but gave them up after leasing a 1995 Jetta that was nothing but trouble. Gave the GTI a chance as a summer fun car. It has a little over 5K on it. It's a blast to drive, awesome stereo, great seats, solid and stable. Fuel economy is disappointing. I've got the 6 speed manual, and a 13 mile drive to work that is mostly highway, and only get around 26 mpg. All highway gets me up to a mere 27.2 mpg. I see others getting better than 30. My driving is spirited at times but I suspect no more so than most others getting higher mpg.

Favorite Features

Stereo, Xenon headlights, heated seats & mirrors in cold weather package, red interior lights that illuminate the gearshift at night - nice touch VW.

Suggested Improvements

VW's tend to have minor electrical issues that remain unresolved, so you need a sense of humor in dealing with that. The VW information center in the dashboard is troublesome. Gas needle often drops to empty when it's not true, and dealer says it tests out with no problems. Whatever.

Great Compact Sports Car
By Steve

This is my very first "new" car and it's a long time waiting. I wanted a small sports car; either the Mini Cooper or the GTI fit my style. I ended up picking the GTI because I felt the flood of Minis out there on the street would dilute my enthusiasm for my car. I am extremely happy with my purchase an happy I chose this over the Cooper.

Favorite Features

Cockpit style seating and controls. Firm, responsive steering and handling. Acceleration performance. Overall zippiness of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Ipod dock (installed on armrest) The stereo does not read out tracks and folders. You can only skip forward and back, blindly. Good luck if you use anything over a nano! No Bluetooth. 6th gear seems like 5th. Responsive, could be better gas saver, but RPM too high.

Just about perfect
By MrRizzo

Traded 2006 Passat 3.6 for GTI taking advantage of owner loyalty credit and 0% financing. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and look forward to getting in the car every day. The Passat was a nice car, but zero fun to drive. The GTI is an absolute ball. This car reacts to every thought like it's hardwired to your brain. The suspension is firm but supple, taking bumps better than the Passat did. I'm averaging 23 MPG in stop and go driving vs. 15 MPG for my V6 Passat. I had read all the hype in the car mags and I guess, well, it's all true!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel. Plaid seats. Fit, finish, and build quality are first rate. Everything just comes together in the car; it's greater than the sum of it's parts. If this car doesn't make you smile, nothing will . . .

Suggested Improvements

I wish the seat could be adjusted to go a bit higher. Give us the LED tail lights like those in Germany to differentiate it from the Rabbit. Otherwise, it's perfect!

The right choice
By Duffy

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 6 VWs and was sure that I wanted to get something different and wanted a Civic SI. I then drove the SI and the GTI back to back and had no doubt that I wanted the WV. The SI was nice but from the second I sat in the GTI I could see the materials were of higher quality and it has more features, all the switches light up for the windows etc. And when you step on the gas in the GTI you get a rush that the SI does not provide. This car is simply a blast to drive, on the highway it is great, but the twisties is where it excels it is sure- footed and stable even when pushed hard. On the practical side the hatch will work better for me (2 kids,skis,snowboards etc).

Favorite Features

The stuff under the hood. The suspension.The autobahn pkg

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth

Making Friends with your Fast
By tryan

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After much research and test driving, I traded in my '04 Passat GLX 5-Speed for a '08 GTI 4-Door. I needed something more practical, but also wanted to upgrade slightly in performance. However, I also wanted to stay below (well below) $30k while doing it. With the current crop of hot hatches proliferating like bunnies (no pun intended), the GTI seemed to have the best mix of everything, features, performance, space and a well-executed interior. The Mazda3 was the only real competitor that gave the GTI a run for its money - especially in the value aspect. However, in the end, the GTI was more unique and hit a lot more design details that I appreciate (illuminated vanity mirrors for one).

Favorite Features

In no particular order: -DSG -2.0 L FSI -Driving Position -Steering Wheel -Interior execution

Suggested Improvements

I would have really liked to have the previously available dual-zone climate control in this car. It's not a huge deal, but something that you appreciate after having it. Also, I think every car should have the auto-tilt down feature for the passenger mirror when in reverse - just a great feature!