2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews 5

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Gotta Love the DSG!
By Curt on 04/14/08 21:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I like driving sporty cars with manual gearboxes. I never thought I would give up the thrill of shifting. But then, I test drove the GTI with the direct shift gearbox and I fell in love with it. The paddle shifters on the steering wheel give the same thrill as doing the clutch thing. But there are times when you just want to let the car take over. On the other hand, drop the shifter into sport mode, step on the pedal and hang on! What a rush! The fit and finish are superb, like all my VWs of the past. I also love the exterior styling. This car looks like it is always in motion. I never would have considered the GTI an option until they came out with the 4-door version.

The only car for me
By Jay L on 04/10/08 15:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I looked for a new car off and on for over 2 years and have never been a "VW guy". In fact, everything I've owned previously has been Japanese. When I test drove this car, the drive won me over. It is not the fastest or best handling car I considered, but it is the only one that made me grin uncontrollably every time I test drove it. I love the way the car looks inside and out. I love the way the controls feel at hand/feet. It sounds good. It gets good gas mileage (averaged nearly 32 on a 3 hr interstate trip with less than 1k miles on the odo). It has fantastic legroom front and back. Even with the 18" wheels, I don't mind the ride quality. There's simply no other car like it.

Abaun Dream
By mattman on 04/09/08 11:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I looked at SUVs first but with gas costing so much I decided a 4 dr hatchback would be better; they offer a lot of utility/space. I did a lot of research before buying and 95% of the online sources recommended the GTI. The overall GTI package can't be beat! Handling is secure, safety top-notch and with the standard features you'd think the GTI would run $30K. Also, the 2.0L turbo 4 cyl, and the DSG auto tranny is straight from the Audi A4, a $40K+ car. Its nice to see F1 engineering trickle from Audi down to the VW making this car stand way ahead of competitors like Honda and MINI. Put this car on the top of your list, its on C&D 10 best cars 2 years running for all the right reasons!

What a HOOT!
By Carvin on 04/06/08 13:24 PM (PDT)

Great car! On the fun to drive scale it is an 11. With 4 doors it is easy and comfy to carry 4 adults-the problem is they all want to drive. 17 in. Wheels still handle very well and the ride is far Superior to the 18's. I'll run 4 full on snows in the winter and know it will get me anywhere with safety ad fun. Instant power, no torgue steer, great fun with the dsg and quite good mileage make a great package. I have just over 1k miles in 3 weeks and have averaged over 26 mpg in mixed driving. I checked the speedo with our Garmin GPS and it is spot on. The sound system is great for me, although the sat radio seems to cut out a lot from trees, buildings, etc. The fit and finish are awesome.

So much fun.
By Franky on 04/04/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive. Handles like magic, and acceleration in second gear is seriously amazing. Road noise is considerable, and the entire fuel system went at 9,200 miles (the pump and sensor had to be replaced per a TSB [technical service bulletin] so the problem is not uncommon). Other than having to deal with VW road side service just a few months into the car ownership, it has been a real joy. If you live in a northern climate, the sport tires will make your winter the worst you've ever experienced.

Always fun to drive
By Terje on 03/31/08 08:20 AM (PDT)

I've owned several BMW's which all seem to fall apart @ 80K miles. My last 740I was very expensive to maintain & boring to drive. I wanted to try something more practical with better mileage. I'm 41 so I thought my white GTI with 18"'s was a practical, fun and young looking decision. So far I like it very much. The DSG is amazing. If you are considering the fun factor, compared to BMW, Audi & Honda, the GTI is a great choice.

Feel 18 Again!!
By JDISCO18 on 03/29/08 19:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I love this car!! Traded an IS300 for an 2007 Armada (Gas Pig). Traded for the 08'GTI. This is the funnest car I've ever had! Stock car is fast and handles great! Love the DSG. I Added a APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade and this little rocket now has 252 hp and 303 ft- lb of torque! I took a long road trip and averaged 28.2 mpg at 90 mph. I've read about the VW having cockpit rattles, however I haven't noticed any. As a 37 year old single parent, I wanted something sporty and family friendly and the GTI was the best fit. 6 Airbags, seating for 5, good leg room in the back. Added the rear storage shelf under the hatch. I feel 18 again and with the Stage 1 upgrade, I make up reasons to leave the house!!

Best Car Ever
By stx066 on 03/17/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been looking into buying a GTI since about January of this year and finally found the one I was looking for. I traded in my 2006 Honda Civic EX and boy am I glad I did! The GTI may not get as good gas mileage as the Civic, but it is way more fun to drive. Well worth the price.

Great car for the price.
By david84j on 03/17/08 00:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Car is a great fun vehicle. Fairly affordable. I have fun driving the car. I am on a 24 month lease to get a feel for the car. If i like it I will keep it. So far so good.

First VW ever
By Kish on 02/26/08 12:54 PM (PST)

I looked at a lot of other cars and when I got in this GTI all I could say was WOW. The performance and shifting were perfect. Its feels like I can beat anyone. Not only was it fast but confortable also. Everything seems to be just right in and out of the GTI. The turbo has very little lag and between 2 and 4 this thing can fly. I just got it but so far I have heard and earful of compliments and I have never been happier to drive to work in my life. The price is def. worth what you get. I would recommend this car to anyone tring to find a car under 30k and get your bang for your buck. For sure.