2008 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great Car
By Matt on 07/02/08 05:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have 4000 miles on my GTI so far and it's a great car. This is my favorite car that I have owned (02 Mustang GT, 98 Cadillac STS). VERY fast and still gets good gas mileage. DSG is fun to drive on open roads and automatic mode is very convenient in traffic.

Mini Batmobile
By GTI Lover on 06/18/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I traded in a Toyota FJ Cruiser after realizing that we need to start taking better care of the environment. Minus the FJ, I have always been around fast cars and wanted something FUN. I read a review saying that the GTI was the "right car at the right time" and can't help but agree. It's super fast, powerful, and all in all the most fun car I've ever driven. It's also safe and good in the rain! Was concerned about the car not attracting much attention, fearing it looked too bland. I get so many compliments, however, on how sharp and "sexy" it looks. My suggestion is to go for the Black Magic color. You feel like you're driving a mini Batmobile. Doesn't get much cooler than that!!

Back in the fold...
By 40valvesgone on 06/18/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is hard for me to do because I traded in my 2004 AUDI S4. So imagine the performance & refinement that I'm giving up. Having said that, if it was too much of a gap I wouldn't have gotten the GTI. The GTI is nothing short of incredible. I had a GTI in 1995, when it was equipped with the VR6. I missed that car when I traded it in & am glad to be back in the GTI fold. I have owned other VWs and have always liked them. This GTI is a cut above the rest, what a great car. Not only is it quick and fun to drive, but it's well behaved too. You can cruise, you can relax, and then simply by pressing down the accelerator - the attitude changes to evil.

This is the One
By My Name is Fast on 06/13/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I am one of those types of people who can not settle on a car. I have owned twelve other cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all by far. I traded in my Passat TDI for the GTI because diesel prices were out of control and I don't regret it a bit. This car is faster and handles better than my wife's Audi TT. I challenge anyone to find a car that handles better in the curves and can function as a daily driver as well. This may be the car or at least the brand/style of car that I finally stick with. I finally know what fast looks and feels like and this is it. There's only one word to describe this vehicle: Fahrvergn├╝gen.

Great, great, great
By Pata on 05/29/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have my 2008 GTI for almost a year now, and I have to say every time I get into it I still smile. When I get on the road and I have to get onto the highway the power of this car takes my breath away still. My husband has a honda si and that is a great car too but when I drive his car, I miss my GTI, I just love the instant turbo power you get when you step on the gas pedal, and you don't have to down shift to get that power. I have had lots of people stop and tell me how much they like my car, or ask questions. This is one great car, comfortable, fast, great on gas, I put snow tires on it for the winter and it was great in the snow, and I always feel confident driving this car. I Love it

American Thunder to Pocket Rocket
By Greg on 05/24/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

When I released my beloved Cadillac CTS-V(400HP, 6 spd) to my son, I with serious trepidation, approached my next daily driver purchase. After not being impressed with the frivolous gimmickry and weight of most Asian cars nor upscale pricing of the elite Europeans, I found the GTI to offer the highest fun per dollar while being environmentally friendly (relative) and with no unnecessary accessories. It is, I found, more than than it; is a fully serviceable quality machine, that makes you feel good to drive. Its build quality is on a par with the best, and I am well pleased with my decision.

Switched from Honda
By Goose on 05/10/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've been a Honda customer for over ten years. I've had an Integra, Civic (1995-2006 models), Accord, CL. I test drove the latest Accord and 2009 TSX. They are all very good vehicles. However they are boring. At least compared with the GTI. The moment I drove off the dealer lot on the test drive I new the car was different. Different in a good way relative to Honda products in this general price zone. The car is quieter inside, it feels solid. I love the DSG and the fuel economy is very good for a turbo. I want to speed off at every light but prefer to drive mellow so I can watch the drivers looking at my GTI as they drive off. If I need to speed off its waiting on my input :)

VW LOVE
By Kyle on 04/18/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After driving several more expensive "luxury" hatches I drove the new GTI and it put them all to shame. It is fun and sporty and the by far the most bang for the buck!!

Perfect package
By mgh on 04/16/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a great mix of way fun to drive, very respectable gas mileage, useful features, and overall grin inducing ownership. The driver is pampered in a GTI; great seats, superb steering wheel, quality switches, tight handling. Now that I've put almost 5,000 miles on it, the fuel economy is starting to improve. Started out at 25 mpg on a hilly highway commute, now I'm up to 33 mpg - very timely.

Bought it yesterday
By bbramely on 04/15/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have been researching cars for about 7 months. I was looking at this, an accord coupe, a g6 gt, and mini cooper s, and so on. I knew that whatever car I got into I would be happy with and I feel content with my lease. I am about to graduate from college and got a great job, so this is my first car in my name. Big experience for me. I am such a car guy so I put a lot of time into this and found that rating for rating, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, i made the right choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.