2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Still happy with my GTI
By Eric on 04/18/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Leased it two years ago this month. Now has almost 25K on it. The only problem so far was a fuel sending unit which kept indicating car was out of fuel. Dealer fixed it and no further problems. Car drives great, I average 27-28 MPG in a commute that is equal parts highway and city driving. I have owned MANY MANY VWs over the years, and some have been very problematic. Not this one. I plan to buy it at the end of the lease due to its reliability, economy and performance. Once it's mine I will chip it and replace the OEM wheels & tires to improve the performance ever more.

08 GTI
By Mark on 01/05/10 09:51 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2008 GTI rather than a Mustang. I wanted a sporty, fast car. My decision was made primarily due to increasing gas prices. This wasn't solved since the car runs best using premium fuel anyway. While the car was extremely fun to drive, the ride is stiff but should be expected. Maintenance costs are high as are costs for replacement items such as tires. At 10k miles it needed a 4 wheel alignment. I always drove the car easy, no curb hopping. Sold car at 22k miles due to notification from VW USA of possible problems with the DSG transmissions. Buy the car if you have money to burn on upkeep and maintenance. I went back to Toyotas, no more headaches.

8 Month Update
By MrRizzo on 04/02/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 8 months I am still enjoying this car. It responds to all my driving moods. Whether I want to poke along and enjoy the scenery or zip down a winding road, the GTI is a ready companion. Gas mileage has improved to 27 mpg (per the computer display). I alternate between regular and premium gas and have not noticed a reduction in performance. I have had no mechanical issues and the car runs great.

fun to drive
By Reggie on 03/04/09 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first VW I have ever owned and I couldn't be more happy with it. The plaid seats look very cool in person but in picture I thought they looked pretty ugly. Horrible gas mileage when using the paddle shifters as all you want to do is drive like a maniac :). I average 24 mpg when I keep it in drive. The sunglasses holder up near the sunroof controls kept popping open during the summer if I had glasses in it. After a while I couldn't keep it closed even if I took the glasses out. Finally after weeks of twisting things in different directions it stays up. Back seats are roomy according to my coworkers but you have to pull up the front seats for there legs.

I've Had Mine a Year, Time To Review...
By Eric on 02/22/09 22:05 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car even though I knew all about VW's terrible reputation for unreliable build quality, overpriced dealer service, and poor customer relations due to the 1.8T and its sludge issue. Why would anyone do that? I blame BBC America! Top Gear's rave review and Jeremy Clarkson's wistful reminiscences of his MKI Scirocco lured me into the dealership for a very fateful test drive. The GTI made my Scion TC feel like a Yugo; it was so much more responsive, faster, better brakes, agile, and afterward getting back into my faithful and dependable Toyota product was just depressing. The dealership screwed me on price and interest rate because I had to have the car right now and was a moron.

Best Car Ever
By stx066 on 03/17/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been looking into buying a GTI since about January of this year and finally found the one I was looking for. I traded in my 2006 Honda Civic EX and boy am I glad I did! The GTI may not get as good gas mileage as the Civic, but it is way more fun to drive. Well worth the price.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.