VW MKV GTI
By bigmiza on
2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I love the car. I looked at other cars such as the Civic SI and Subaru WRX, but I fell in love with the VW. I love the design, both exterior and interior. The performance is great, when requested. I love the ride--a great balance between comfort & performance.
Favorite Features
Turbo, Xenons, Heated Seats, Hufs and of course the steering wheel.
Suggested Improvements
lit glovebox, painted rear bumper, radio needs higher contrast.
By j33410
on 05/16/13 10:41 AM (PDT)

I bought this car new in 2007. It has 25,600 well-maintained, adult driven miles on it. It is the neatest car to drive that I have owned to date. But beware! It is literally falling apart. Recalls and/or warranty fixes included A/C replacement including the compressor and other parts. Two failed igniters needed replacement. A bad wheel bearing was replaced. Leaking cooling system was fixed and refilled by the dealer (with 70% antifreeze in a hot climate). Several engine sensors replaced under recalls. The OEM tires sounded like a bad wheel bearing at 10k miles - the dealer's solution? replace them (at my expense). Engine gets maybe 1000 miles per quart of factory-recommended oil. 1No screw-on oil filter for this car - it has an internal filter that costs twice that of a spin-on filter, that is messy to change. The headliner came apart and fell off the roof - the foam disintegrated. Interior parts break or warp. My cat "pulls" the upholstery (which doesn't happen in my Honda). The hood insulation/noise suppression falls off. The rims hit the curb before the tires do. The strap on the gas cap is broken. One seat adjustment knob came broken from the factory and the dealer never replaced it. The door upholstery on both sides of the front doors is coming off, but no one rides in the passenger seat.. Seat cushion bolsters are wrinkled on the drivers side. Antenna corroded and failed - twice. Every time the dealer fixes something mechanical, garnish and body clips come back broken. One screw holds my front grille in place. Every time the dealer gets my car, something else comes back broken, changed or dysfunctional. Random computer errors cause funny things to happen, like a racing engine that shifts to neutral on rare occasions, for no reason, during acceleration. Like a drivers window that rolls itself down. Gremlins turn on the steering warning light, the ABS warning light and the stability control warning light. The air bag light was on after the dealer replaced my headliner. Other than more problems than all my cars together have developed in 40 years, this is a really fun car to drive. But at what price????? Too bad this car is made of junk. VW parts are very expensive and generally only available from the dealership at three or four times the price of Honda/Toyota OEM parts. Aftermarket parts selection is very limited. My suggestion - buy a car made by someone else other than Volkswagen/Audi. I really like this car, to drive, but owning it and keeping it running scares me like no other car I ever owned. Others who own similar vehicles made by VW have had similar experiences. I wouldn't dare drive it out of my local area.....