2007 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Performance and Practicality

2007 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

2007 Volkswagen GTI

Performance and Practicality
By Chris on

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First of all, to be honest I never thought I would own a VW. I went and test drove an '07 Civic Si, but found it to be lacking in the torque department. I also considered the Scion tC but found it to be lacking the quality of the Toyotas that I have owned before. When I first test drove the GTI I was surprised by how smooth and refined the power was. It doesn't require you to downshift every time you need to pass since it makes so much torque and at such low rpm. There is NO lag that I can tell. The cabin is well organized, being driver oriented with most features that I wanted being standard. The car is also very quiet with a supple ride for a sports car, paired with a responsive steering system.

The absence of torque steer that ruins most powerful FWD cars, the Audi looks with the high quality interior, and the red stripe on the front with the red brake calipers behind the 18' wheels. I also like the simple but functional dash. The FSI paired with the turbo also seems to be perfect.

Lose all of the plastic on the back bumper. I see no reason why it goes up so high honestly. The ride height needs to be lowered to the Euro specs in my opinion. Use a little less plastic in the engine compartment. I have no mechanical / ergonomic gripes.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review