A Manual in an Automatic's Clothing
By yuray on
2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
The DSG transmission is awesome. Somehow (maybe double clutch) it smooths out driving at low speeds while retaining the juice. It feels taut inside (apparently it is assembled in Germany in contrast to almost all other VW models). Unfortunately, the stereo display is third world and the Sirius trial is worthless because you only have a sample of channels. The sunroof could be bigger. The interior trim is spare, bordering on cheap. I see part of the reason why the A3 goes for more. I have the cloth, which is alright, but the seats don't feel like they'd treat me well on a long drive. I am glad that I chose the 4-door. It is not bigger than the 2-door, but seems to get more out of the rear row while maintaining near identical trunk space.
Favorite Features
The exterior styling; DSG transmission and performance; steering wheel; and how 6 airbags are standard.
Suggested Improvements
The only improvements that I would suggest are to the amenities, like the stereo, interior trim, sunroof, and seat comfort. I rated this car's reliability relatively low assuming that the 2007 will match historical levels.