Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Wow!
By BMani

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I traded in my Land Rover for this car and I haven't missed the rover one bit! The interior is set up wonderfully. I did not care for the looks of this car, but once I drove it I fell in love. The GTI has plenty of room and the addition of two doors helps as well. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Favorite Features

The DSG transmission, and interior setup. The red illumination lights that light up the console at night are very neat.

Suggested Improvements

Like I said I traded in a Land Rover for the GTI. With that being said, the materials used for the leather seats could be better, and the carpet is very hard to keep clean.

Not impressed
By car lover

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have owned the car for 4 months and already had 1 recall, rear windshield wiper stop working, passenger door seal came off, airbag fault. Dealer had to replace the harness.For a new car with 3500 mile I'm not impressed. Have always owned Hondas or Subaru and the Germans have got a bit of catching up to do. Oil filter is in an inconvenient place. You need to remove the shield on the bottom of the engine for access and it cost $12. Car lacks top end. Handles nice but awd would be a plus. Nice styling, comfortable seats, convenience of hatchback, My first and probably last VW

Favorite Features

Seats and stereo. Nice subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

Little more oomph. Ease of service. Lower cost of routine parts.

Great Car, Few Quirks
By microbreak

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car. Would definitely purchase again. The only complaint stems from a glitch in the nav-equipped stereo. The Sirius unit sometimes forgets its presets. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Interior is excellently executed. The steering wheel feels just right, the seats are supportive, the a/c controls are intuitive, and the seat heaters are GREAT.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issue with the stereo presets and we are good.

Practical sport
By fh

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for one year. Fun car to drive, and its utility has been important to me. The gas mileage is reasonable for the engine performance as well. Excellent fit and finish, and only one questionable item in terms of any defect, which has not been a problem. I wanted a car with a sunroof, still having reasonable headroom. That put the Hondas (Civic and Accord coupes) out of contention, by comparison.

Favorite Features

The engine's torque and flexibility are outstanding. The shifter is smooth, not as short throw as perhaps a few other manual transmissions, but not bad. Good room in the useful back seats, which split-fold. Interior materials are first-rate in this price range. Plenty of headroom for tall folks.

Suggested Improvements

The front seat bolsters are a bit difficult to navigate getting into the car. There is nose-heavy understeer in spirited driving; it is front wheel drive, after all, and the brakes, while effective, do have a soft-feel that seems to be a VW-Audi trait.

VW hit the nail on the head!
By falconeight

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I really wanted a Mini, but thought that I would check out the GTI first just to be sure, and I never made it to the mini dealer. This is by far a great hatchback, and I have owned a few of them. Everything from comfort, driveability, looks, hatchback handy, and gas mileage is perfect. I would have paid more for it. Great car! VW deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Favorite Features

Color, power, seats.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats.