Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Great Car for today
By Mike

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought this car with 19,000 miles, trading in a BMWX3. If you drive it conservatively, it's comfortable, economical, the hatch makes it versatile and it provides a lot of amenities that you get with more expensive cars. When you want it, the power and handling are terrific. The ride is a bit rough on rough roads but that was expected with low profile tires. I have had owned several sports sedans but always thought the power came at the expense of handling. This car makes a lot of sense and I could not be happier. Finally, one unexpected benefit is the cloth seats which are cooler than leather in the summer sun. The car cools quickly after a stint in a parking lot.

Overall versatility with superior driving performance

I would offer another set of tires like the BMX 3 series does for a bit more comfortable ride

False Premonition
By MH

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am 6'5 and this car proved itself to be great, roomy, sporty, economical and attractive. I traded my VW Gti 337 Ed, due to thinking that it will break down as soon as I run out of warranty. Unfortunately I should have kept it. After 7 months of ownership the '07 GTi came across an issue, a clunking noise in the front of the suspension. I went to research this on a vw forum and it turns out plenty of people have this problem. I attempted to fix this under warranty & even dealt with VWOA and no fix has been found, better yet it couldn't been replicated despite the fact that I had proof on video of many random recurrence and having a service manager replicated it to the quality rep from vw.

The exterior, interior, performance & economical (330 miles to a full tank). Great all around car failed by design (read below for more info). Owned the car for 2 yrs and got fed up with the issues, buying a used Honda Si Hatch w/ these gas prices. New redesign is coming out, same platform be aware!

I was told by one of the mechanics at VW, due to many visits for the clunk and inability to repair; that once something is designed with a flaw it wont be capable of repairing. VW messed up a great car, they need to fix the flawed subframe or steering rack issues, whatever it is causing the clunk.

Great car
By dave

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After 22 months of ownership, this car beats all others that I have owned. NO trips to the dealer for anything but scheduled service, great performance and comfort, pretty good fuel economy (29 average city/hwy, goes down to 27 when driving 80+ on highway)--and it cost $26,000. Surprising amount of interior space--holds 4 adults comfortably for short and medium trips.

6 disc cd changer is cumbersome and outdated

Fahrenheit is Awesome!!!
By Tony Scavo

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Always wanted a GTI since the MK1 in 1983, finally got one almost 25 years later and I got the special edition. Wahooo, power/Torque is incredible for a 4 cyl turbo hatchback, reliability is perfect (currently have 27,000 miles on it after 10 months of ownership and the only issue i have had is figuring out where I'm going to drive next - best car i have ever owned, dead serious. I have driven it through death valley and into the yosemite valley, from Vegas to Denver and even up a dirt mountain driveway ( with snow chains ) and it has never failed me. The exhaust note is great and I added a K&N Intake which makes it sound even better. Suspension is stiff and sporty but pliable for long trips.

DSG, Leather Seats, Interior, Torque, Suspension, Steering Wheel, Multi Function Display, Charleston Special edition wheels, the aura around owning a "FAST" its a brotherhood akin to Jeep ownership, only in a more spirited and capable driving platform - I love everything - VW nailed it!!

It would be hard to improve on this car - but if a wish list were in order - AWD, 50 more HP/Torque ft lbs ( heck, why not? ) A body kit standard on the Fahrenheit (VW think R32 rear end and Rieger sides and front) An Ipod adapter in the center console and a 3rd cigarette power adapter, a USB port

Great all around sprty car
By GTI Fanboy

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After testing many cars (Fit, Mazda 3, Accord, Passat, Legacy, A3) I decided to go with the GTI 4-door. I don't regret my purchase in the least. The car is a lot of fun to drive and the seating position is great. The powertrain is fantastic, with torque available everywhere, and the DSG is flawless. The car has a nice compromise of ride quality and handling. The interior is ergonomically perfect except for cruise control, and is made out of high quality materials (and the plaid seats are a plus). The hatchback design is very versatile and manages to hold items that would just not fit in a sedan. Fuel economy is better than the 2007 EPA rating. 14K mi trouble free and only 1 minor rattle!

Perfect engine, DSG, form fitting seats, 17" Denver alloy wheels (mini Huf's), I love the minutely adjustable knob for seatback angle, Climatic holds 72 degrees very well, longer Euro svc. intervals, steering wheel and its controls, ambient lighting, trip computer, ESP, lots of airbags, safe.

The stereo is pretty terrible (tho I love the head unit), cruise control should be on the steering wheel, wish it had Flexible Svc. like a BMW or a Mini (longer int's). Brakes are fine, but not great. No seat heaters with Pkg 1, boo! Lots of road noise with all season Continental tires. 1 rattle.