2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Worst car I ever owned
By Chris on 08/18/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Worst car ever, bought it new and it was in the shop less than a month later for fuel system problems, then it was air bag lights 3 times over the course of about 2 years. Then came the complete system meltdown at 53k miles when the mass air flow sensor went out, the a/c completely died and a fault in the temp switch required complete replacement. $2100 fix for the last set of problems. Get an extended warranty with this car. Fidelity saved me $2100. The next day after getting the car out of the shop, I traded it in for an Acura. No more German cars, ever! The interior is a bit chintzy. If you push in on the door, the plastic handles flex in and pop, annoying. Hate that car!

Best all-around car I've ever owned
By Thomas on 07/09/10 01:59 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The perfect size car for city driving, FUN to drive, beautiful high quality interior, very comfortable sport seats, great customer service from my dealer & absolutely no reliability or repair issues. The hatchback & fold- down seats are very convenient. I have driven this car since new for almost 4 years now. It is the longest I have ever kept a car & it's one of my favorites. I have owned German, American, English & Japanese brands. In more affluent times, I have owned 2 Mercedes SL's & 5 BMW's. The Japanese are known for reliability, but the Germans win hands down for superior engineering & driving fun. I am shocked how much I continue to enjoy this GTI

fun hatch back,not cheap to tune!
By hardd on 03/18/10 08:34 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my vw gti with dsg last year used with 11,000 miles.I spent most of the first year going from dealer to dealer because the car would almost die taking off from a stop.After weeks in the shop they found the pcv and crank case vent have failed.After the fix my gti runs great I get about 34mpg hwy/22mpg city.I love the 18inch huffs and i have the car lowered with a cold air intake.If you are looking to customize this car parts are not cheap because of the audi built motor. My gti Handles great and runs with car that have a 100hp more. I love the plaid seats and the exter doesn't look to bad for a hatch back.

The biggest mistake
By jason on 02/01/10 15:56 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased this car over 48months... it was my first new car! When I left the dealership I had a smile ear to ear. It was 2 months later that the problems started to pop up. At first it was a problem with the drivers seat. A couple of weeks later the check engine light came on (took two years for this to be fixed). In the 46 months I've had this car, it's been in the shop 82 times for a total of 133days. That is over 10% downtime. I wish I had bought this car so I could have gotten out of it earlier. I have promised VW customer service that I will never drive a VW, Audi or Porsche because of my experiences with this piece of crap GTI.

GTI Over-rated and Over-priced
By RP on 12/10/09 11:28 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

German engineering is over rated...The new DSG paddle shifting automatic transmission was a problem. On 3 occasions, the transmission refused to go from reverse to drive. The "D" symbol had a flashing box over the letter and would not engage. Everyday for two years when putting the car in drive it would take 5 or more seconds to engage a gear. Numerous trips to VW service was a waste of time despite describing the problem in detail the issue was never solved. Paint quality is poor, clear coat over the black paint would chip off, starting on the roof. Flaws in the paint job from day one we. Front seats were too narrow between the bolsters, uncomfortable. Very poor dealership support!!

Best all-around car....period...
By BigBob on 10/25/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After owning SUVs, sports cars, economy cars, this is THE best all-around car that combines features of each of the above-listed automobiles. Fuel economy is excellent when compared to the performance. Sure you can get 40 mgg in a prius but the drive is boring, I'll take the 31-34 mpg in a fun-to-drive GTI any day. I've owned the car for 2.5 years and have had absolutely no problems with it, besides a small rattle in the rear drivers-side door panel that the dealership was able to fix at no charge. I usually get bored with cars after a year or two but this GTI is the only car I've owned that I am seriously considering buying after my lease is up.

Super Good Time
By jt on 10/22/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have had this car for 2 years now and it is absolutely the best car I've owned (out of 6). Lots of room lively engine, suspension. Very easy to get along with. Had only minor probs. Fan switch and leaky coolant for a/c.

90K miles, still excellent!
By VPA on 10/20/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2007 GTI is a very well made car, the only significant repair after 90K miles was rear wheel bearings. There was also a problem with the PCV valve which was fixed under a service bulletin. The car also loses or burns some oil - not unexpected for a turbo, I guess, but you must check the oil regularly. Numerous interior squeaks and rattles were corrected after I replaced the horrid stock Continental tires with BFG SuperSport A/S and then Goodyear Eagle GT A/S. Ride and handling are great, the stability control is excellent. No steering feel due to the electric steering, but you learn to live without it. An almost perfect, practical sporty 4- dr hatch at a reasonable price.

What makes Awesome.
By Chris C on 08/08/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Its just a fine piece of engineering. This car feels absolutely solid and locked on to the road. Driving becomes more intuitive when the car goes exactly where you point it, when you point it. Anyone who has ever driven an American car should be familiar with the amount of sag or 'play' between the actual motion of the steering wheel and whats transmitted to the wheels. That's what makes German cars so awesome - wheels turn with the drivers hands. The DSG is just about the most underrated technological innovation ever. This trans is a blast, blowing through gears at speeds previously unimaginable for any gearbox. Learn about how the dual clutch works -- its worth the education.

Fun, Cheap (Relatively), and German....
By Smyrnios on 06/30/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My GTI has been with me for two years and 17K miles, and the experience has been positive. This is the original "hot hatch", the benchmark for this class. If you're looking for outright performance, go for a Mazdaspeed 3. But if you're seeking European character and sophistication, the choice is clear. The GTI goes about its business in a most German way. Feels solid as a bank vault when you get in and shut the door. On the interstate, it's unflappable and deceptively fast, so invest in a good radar detector. This model has ceased production, as the sixth-generation is already out and headed to the US in the fall of 2010. There should be many pre-owned examples to choose from.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.