Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Most Helpful|
False Premonition
By MH

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am 6'5 and this car proved itself to be great, roomy, sporty, economical and attractive. I traded my VW Gti 337 Ed, due to thinking that it will break down as soon as I run out of warranty. Unfortunately I should have kept it. After 7 months of ownership the '07 GTi came across an issue, a clunking noise in the front of the suspension. I went to research this on a vw forum and it turns out plenty of people have this problem. I attempted to fix this under warranty & even dealt with VWOA and no fix has been found, better yet it couldn't been replicated despite the fact that I had proof on video of many random recurrence and having a service manager replicated it to the quality rep from vw.

Favorite Features

The exterior, interior, performance & economical (330 miles to a full tank). Great all around car failed by design (read below for more info). Owned the car for 2 yrs and got fed up with the issues, buying a used Honda Si Hatch w/ these gas prices. New redesign is coming out, same platform be aware!

Suggested Improvements

I was told by one of the mechanics at VW, due to many visits for the clunk and inability to repair; that once something is designed with a flaw it wont be capable of repairing. VW messed up a great car, they need to fix the flawed subframe or steering rack issues, whatever it is causing the clunk.

GTI Over-rated and Over-priced
By RP

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

German engineering is over rated...The new DSG paddle shifting automatic transmission was a problem. On 3 occasions, the transmission refused to go from reverse to drive. The "D" symbol had a flashing box over the letter and would not engage. Everyday for two years when putting the car in drive it would take 5 or more seconds to engage a gear. Numerous trips to VW service was a waste of time despite describing the problem in detail the issue was never solved. Paint quality is poor, clear coat over the black paint would chip off, starting on the roof. Flaws in the paint job from day one we. Front seats were too narrow between the bolsters, uncomfortable. Very poor dealership support!!

Favorite Features

MPG for the level of performance. Good suspension and handling. Nice steering wheel and good cockpit ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

Train VW maintenance personnel beyond "Plug in black box and read codes". Solve the DSG dual wet clutch automatic transmission. Remove the paddle shifters. Redesign front seats with more room between bolsters. GTI is far too heavy a vehicle for its size. There are far better cars for the money!

FUN CAR WITH WORST ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
By saturn101

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

first owner, do service every 5K in dealer or respected shop... 30100miles, (right after service)fuel pressure sensor died on the road 200 miles away from home on a holiday.... 42000miles, power steering wheel and traction control lights on for 80% of driving time, 4 times to the dealer, 2 for diagnostics 2 for fixing, got fixed, first time for 15 mins before lights came on again, second time, better, 3 days... 50100miles, with those problems persisted, new problems came out, when those lights on, the power steering wheel would lose electricity for all buttons and pedals include signal lights, wipers... in the dealer for 8 business days and counting... bad luck, maybe, but lesson learned

Favorite Features

it is a fun car to drive even it is a FWD car

Suggested Improvements

reliability trumps anything else, stop talking about how fun to drive this car if the dealer couldn't fix a problem in almost 2 weeks

THE Hot Hatch
By codybrown

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been pleasantly surprised by this car. bought it new so I could get a warrranty as I was not sure of VW quality. I now have close to 70k on it, and haven't had any problems. It's a blast to drive and gets good mileage (25 - 30+, depending on the type of driving I do). The manual transmission is fun to shift; I have tried several others since having this car, and they all seem cheap and clunky to me now. Definitely one of my all-time favorite cars.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, design, front seats, reliability, functionality, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Of course, more power would always be nice. My main gripe is how the car obsessive-compulsively locks itself any chance it gets. You can't exit the car and open the hatch without having to use your fob.

It wins your heart!
By sal42

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my GTI new and it was my first car. I have loved it!!! It's been very reliable and fun to drive, as well as economical on gas, a great value. I have had no problems with the car and it has over 40,000 mi on it now. I am happy to have had this as my first car! I hope to keep it until it finally dies one day.

Favorite Features

Engine, DSG gearbox, brakes and suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Make the lumbar support for the seats better, but other than that it is very nicely built.