2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
One Fast Rabbit
By mvaillan on 11/08/06 18:26 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

There is an unbelievable difference between the 1.8L turbo (170hp) in my Passat and the 2.0L Turbo (200hp) in this GTI. It also feels a lot stronger than the 2.0L Turbo (210hp) that I had in my 2002 WRX, and overall is a much nicer car than the WRX, quicker off the line, better quality materials throughout, and you always feel in complete control of the GTI. This GTI wants to move out fast whether you have the DSG Auto transmission in normal drive mode, sport mode or manual shift mode. It shifts silky smooth in all three modes. The paddle shifters on the steering wheel are more toys than anything else, but really fun ones!

Check out this car
By jman on 10/31/06 20:18 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is fun to drive. It's quick and nimble, and goes fast in a hurry. The seats are great. If you drive in the city, the automatic is perfect. They finally made a GTI like it's supposed to drive. Get it with four doors, drop the kids off at school and spend the day zipping around town. It's also under the radar screen, people look but don't oogle. It's really a prefect car. Let's see how it does on the long term. The people at VW still need to work on service.

Understanding the Car
By Rich on 10/24/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I researched this car for months and looked at many different competitors, all of which averaged twice the price. After researching every scrap of opinion available, I came to want this car. My research somewhat prepared me for it, but the first drive took me out of this world. The performance to price ratio in this car makes it a lion, and the pure enjoyment of feeling the 200hp acceleration, really puts it in a class far above the price point. If you have "low ego emissions" and want something REALLY fun to drive, go GTI. You can't go wrong with this car. It's simply amazing, and the voluminous articles out there in the rags have NOT steered me wrong. I love this car!

Most Fun Ever
By gwolson on 10/23/06 15:15 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

What a blast! No one beats me at the lights. This car is always tempts me to drive fast. This is my first automatic transmission in decades, the DSG with paddle shifters is the most fun. While the other guy is shifting your done and can see his frustrations in the rear view. There is nothing to not like about this car. I am sure that the poor gas mileage is my fault.

A Manual in an Automatic's Clothing
By yuray on 10/19/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The DSG transmission is awesome. Somehow (maybe double clutch) it smooths out driving at low speeds while retaining the juice. It feels taut inside (apparently it is assembled in Germany in contrast to almost all other VW models). Unfortunately, the stereo display is third world and the Sirius trial is worthless because you only have a sample of channels. The sunroof could be bigger. The interior trim is spare, bordering on cheap. I see part of the reason why the A3 goes for more. I have the cloth, which is alright, but the seats don't feel like they'd treat me well on a long drive. I am glad that I chose the 4-door. It is not bigger than the 2-door, but seems to get more out of the rear row while maintaining near identical trunk space.

GTI vs. 325i? No Contest
By dgb on 10/18/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The VW GTI is more fun to drive than the BMW 325i and it holds four comfortably with room for the dog in the hatch. It even costs about $15,000 less than a similarly-equipped BMW. It is larger and cheaper than the Audi A3. It is almost as much fun to drive as the Mini Cooper S, but sized for non-hobbits. It has the best transmission available - period. I have had it for only one month and 800 miles, but it has no rattles, squeaks, or problems of any kind. Its gas mileage has been 27 mpg combined using manual shift/sport mode and a heavy foot. It gets 30+ on the highway.

Best Buy for Your Money
By Sasha on 10/15/06 19:03 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is the best GTI ever. It is so much fun to drive. It has amazing handling. If you are over 40 years old - stay away from 18" tires - they make the ride too rough. If you don't want to spend on winter tires and change them before every winter - stay away from 18" tires. Other than that, this is probably the most bang for your buck in a long time.

GTI MkV -- Nice
By SpitfireCole on 09/26/06 11:56 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After trading in a 350Z with reliability problems, I wanted something practical that would still be fun to drive. With the GTI, I do not feel like I made much of a sacrifice. This car is a blast to drive. It is quick and nimble. I'm not sure that I'm a joiner type, so the VW community still scares me a little..but I love the car.

More Fun and More Room than in an Audi
By nostatic on 09/25/06 15:05 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've never owned an "auto" tranny car until my DSG-equipped GTI. I was injured and couldn't work a clutch for a couple months. But I also club race and like control and performance. I also need to haul music gear and my 10 year old son to the beach, etc. This car does all of it and then some. It offers great luxury with the leather, heated seats, and climate control. The 2.0T engine has plenty of punch and the DSG transmission is a chameleon: drive it easy in D, harder in S, or full in manual mode with the paddle shifters. I drove an A3 also (same platform) but the GTI was more fun to drive *and* has more headroom, shoulder room, and more room in the back. I highly recommended this car. My other car is a '79 Porsche 911 that I'll never sell.

My Fast
By Joe on 09/25/06 11:31 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is awesome. It has 200 hp and 207 lb. feet of torque! It gets up and goes. For those of you who are worried about reliability consider this: previous models where built in Mexico, this GTI is built in Wolfsburg, Germany. Its handling is top notch for a car that weighs 3,000 lbs. It is faster than its main competitor, the Honda Civic Si.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.