Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Having fun shifting again
By RJM

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had the GTI for three months now and I can honestly say it's a blast to drive, and with four doors, it's very practical as well. This is my first manual transmission car in 18 years and I'm really enjoying shifting on my own again. The car has plenty of power and very little turbo lag. Build quality is excellent and I've had no issues with reliability. I was tempted to get a BMW 335i, but in Northern Virginia where I live it seems that every other car is a BMW 3 series so the GTI is a nice change and the price is extremely reasonable for what you get.

Favorite Features

Form fitting seats combined with a manual transmission makes you really feel in control.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing comes to mind.

Serious Safety Problems
By Kriss Mellor

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I owned my 2007 VW GTI for about 6 months and it's been in for repairs well over 2 months in total. The information center was defective. It took over a week to replace. Most serious problem could be related to the engine, transmission, turbo - don't yet know the source. The dealer can't identify the problem and VW tech support has been useless. Possibly related to heat, since it occurs most often when the temperature is high. As you step on the gas the car drops out of gear and will not respond. It feels like you are slamming on the brakes, according to my friend who was driving with me during one of these "seizures". This is a very serious safety issue. Car was bought back by the dealer.

Favorite Features

It can really move, when it is running properly. A blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Find the source of the "seizure" problem and fix it for good. If that were to happen, I would gladly buy another one!

Unbelievable for the money!
By HSJ

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Sure there are better-looking and sportier cars, but none can match the GTIs combination of good looks, great interiors, very sporty driving and great pricing. I have the manual base car, and the list of "stuff" that is standard is amazing: 10-speaker(!) kicker Monsoon audio, Bi-Xenon headlamps, Driver Information Display (with 2 awesome trip computers), auto up/down on all windows, heated power mirrors, lots of user-programmable features, steering wheel controls, sports front seats, power outlet in trunk, great "mood" lighting at night, map lights all around - list just goes on. I love the interior lighting at night. After this car, other non-luxury cars' interiors seem cheap.

Favorite Features

Looks, interiors, sportiness, acceleration, fuel efficiency (up to 33-36 mpg sometimes), cockpit lighting at night, superb quality materials all around. Supremely spacious and comfortable for my 6'1" frame, unlike other sporty cars.

Suggested Improvements

The headlight switch should have a position for switching on just the parking lights. Apparently the European models have this 3-position switch (Off, Parking lights, Headlights), so why not bring it across the pond?

A car for all moods
By Paul

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I like this car because it follows my driving moods. Sometimes, I just like to adjust the climate, put it in drive, turn on Sirius Disorder and drive it like a normal car. And it does this marvelously. When I do this, it's fairly easy to get 30 mpg or more (according to the car's computer). Sometimes, I like to pick my own gears, put the windows down and the sunroof back, crank up Alt Nation and strap a brick to my shoe. It handles this impressively as well. And will still get around 27 mpg. No matter how I feel like driving, this car just delivers a great drive. It looks and feels rock solid. There's little features VW doesn't even flaunt giving me the impression of attention to details.

Favorite Features

DSG is brilliant! This dual-clutch automated manual tranny truly is the future of changing gears, if it proves to have a comparable lifespan. 2.0T is uber impressive. I'm a stickler for ergonomics and this car delivers. Everything is exactly where it should be and looks great being there.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't complain if VW threw a woofer in the back. Like in Dodge's Caliber. A Daytime Running Lamp Override would be nice. They have that in Europe's version, I guess. Weird. The sat radio song/artist display should scroll. For weeks I thought Interpol wrote a song called The Heinrich Man.

Great Car
By OrangeBlood

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is not only a speedy sport compact but a very comfortable car for around town driving as well as commuting. Don't get me wrong, I bought this car because it is flat out fun to drive but it also has tremendous gas mileage too. If you stay off the turbo, you can easily get 30 mpg on the freeway and 26 on the streets. I have driven a few tiptronic transmission cars but nothing that compares. Simply put the car in sport mode, grip the wheel and hold on, no turbo lag. I am a pretty tall guy, over 6' tall, but I can ride comfortably in any seat in the car. The color of the fahrenheit really polarizes folks. It is a love or hate thing but most people will tell you that this car is sharp.

Favorite Features

2.0T engine is great, (look at the numbers, this car does not give up much from the R32 and weighs about 500lbs less), DSG gearbox, Xenon headlights are nice, gauges look good as does the entire interior, SAT radio, MP3 adapter, and the color is loud.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats would be nice. That is all I can come up with. This is a great car.