2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
THE Hot Hatch
By codybrown on 08/10/12 06:55 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been pleasantly surprised by this car. bought it new so I could get a warrranty as I was not sure of VW quality. I now have close to 70k on it, and haven't had any problems. It's a blast to drive and gets good mileage (25 - 30+, depending on the type of driving I do). The manual transmission is fun to shift; I have tried several others since having this car, and they all seem cheap and clunky to me now. Definitely one of my all-time favorite cars.

Fun for a price
By monkeykins on 12/15/11 05:18 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used in 2010. Selling it as soon as possible. I can't afford to keep sending it to the mechanic/fixing small things on the car. I've had two tail lights burn out, both the xenon headlights go out ($80 a piece), AC compressor, electrical problems, and now it seems the coil packs need to be replaced. It's a great car, and fun to drive, but I've had to drop it off almost every other month to get work done on it. Which wouldn't be as big a deal if the parts cost less than an arm+leg.

Rally style Dunbuggy
By Great Fast dunbuggy on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Gti was the perfect car for me. I am a college student and I am more than likely always in a rush. The Gti has a great responsive clutch and the ability to grip the road better than most bmw's along side with the performance the maintenance was extremely high than most its competitives but I rarely had to take it to the shop. I drove the car from California to Georgia with no problems or issues the ride was comfortable and enjoyableI've had it for two years and the quality was good compared to others of that same year. I had little problems with the electronics like the iPod connector and the windows.

The biggest mistake
By jason on 02/01/10 15:56 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased this car over 48months... it was my first new car! When I left the dealership I had a smile ear to ear. It was 2 months later that the problems started to pop up. At first it was a problem with the drivers seat. A couple of weeks later the check engine light came on (took two years for this to be fixed). In the 46 months I've had this car, it's been in the shop 82 times for a total of 133days. That is over 10% downtime. I wish I had bought this car so I could have gotten out of it earlier. I have promised VW customer service that I will never drive a VW, Audi or Porsche because of my experiences with this piece of crap GTI.

Fun, Cheap (Relatively), and German....
By Smyrnios on 06/30/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My GTI has been with me for two years and 17K miles, and the experience has been positive. This is the original "hot hatch", the benchmark for this class. If you're looking for outright performance, go for a Mazdaspeed 3. But if you're seeking European character and sophistication, the choice is clear. The GTI goes about its business in a most German way. Feels solid as a bank vault when you get in and shut the door. On the interstate, it's unflappable and deceptively fast, so invest in a good radar detector. This model has ceased production, as the sixth-generation is already out and headed to the US in the fall of 2010. There should be many pre-owned examples to choose from.

Sporty and Practical
By Uthor on 06/06/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the GTI to have a fun car to drive while still being able to live with it day by day. It has more than enough power for the street. Quick steering and an easy to use 6-speed gear box, but the clutch travel is long. There is a huge aftermarket to tweak the car to exactly how you want it. Fits four people with ease. The hatch is a bit small compared to my last car's trunk, but cavernous once the rear seats fold down. Adequate 6-disc CD stereo for a non-audiophile. I've had no mechanical problems. The biggest problem with owning the car is how expensive maintenance can be, especially if down at the dealer, but the recommended 10,000 miles between oil changes helps with that.

The Real GTI is Back
By Nick S. on 03/25/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my GTI for almost two years now, and it's easily the finest car I've ever driven. There were so many duds that followed the 1983 original, but Volkswagen finally got serious again about this iconic model. The engine is the star here, propelling what's not a light vehicle with gusto. It pulls from below 2000 rpm, which means there's virtually no turbo lag. Great car for darting around Manhattan traffic, but the open road is where it shines. Buckets of torque make passing a breeze, and the VW is unflappable at high speed. Overall reliability has been surprisingly solid. Fuel economy has been atrocious.

YES IT CAN
By FirstVW on 01/06/09 18:11 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is fun in every way and has all the little features that make it feel more expensive than it is. The engine is so torquey, I never wanna drive a VTEC again. Perfect gear ratios in the 6 speed. Makes my 20 mile daily commute fun. Your car should be fun.

False Premonition
By MH on 08/19/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am 6'5 and this car proved itself to be great, roomy, sporty, economical and attractive. I traded my VW Gti 337 Ed, due to thinking that it will break down as soon as I run out of warranty. Unfortunately I should have kept it. After 7 months of ownership the '07 GTi came across an issue, a clunking noise in the front of the suspension. I went to research this on a vw forum and it turns out plenty of people have this problem. I attempted to fix this under warranty & even dealt with VWOA and no fix has been found, better yet it couldn't been replicated despite the fact that I had proof on video of many random recurrence and having a service manager replicated it to the quality rep from vw.

Not impressed
By car lover on 12/31/07 12:09 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have owned the car for 4 months and already had 1 recall, rear windshield wiper stop working, passenger door seal came off, airbag fault. Dealer had to replace the harness.For a new car with 3500 mile I'm not impressed. Have always owned Hondas or Subaru and the Germans have got a bit of catching up to do. Oil filter is in an inconvenient place. You need to remove the shield on the bottom of the engine for access and it cost $12. Car lacks top end. Handles nice but awd would be a plus. Nice styling, comfortable seats, convenience of hatchback, My first and probably last VW

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.