2007 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
It wins your heart!
By sal42 on 04/07/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my GTI new and it was my first car. I have loved it!!! It's been very reliable and fun to drive, as well as economical on gas, a great value. I have had no problems with the car and it has over 40,000 mi on it now. I am happy to have had this as my first car! I hope to keep it until it finally dies one day.

German feel and performance on a budget
By glm on 09/01/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Have had several Hondas, this is much more car for less money. Having read a few of these other reviews I guess that experiences vary, but I've had exactly 0 problems with this car after 3 1/2 years of "spirited" driving. Nothing. Nada. Oil changes, regular maintenance, and that's it. I will say that the handling is a bit disappointing, feeling a bit top heavy and with a bunch of understeer. The DSG is less amusing than I thought and it's back to a stick next time around. But, overall, great motor, good all around driver. Took it from upstate NY to Outer Banks and comfortable all the way. A set of Blizzaks and snow is no issue. Finally I agree with Consumer Reports.

Best all-around car I've ever owned
By Thomas on 07/09/10 01:59 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The perfect size car for city driving, FUN to drive, beautiful high quality interior, very comfortable sport seats, great customer service from my dealer & absolutely no reliability or repair issues. The hatchback & fold- down seats are very convenient. I have driven this car since new for almost 4 years now. It is the longest I have ever kept a car & it's one of my favorites. I have owned German, American, English & Japanese brands. In more affluent times, I have owned 2 Mercedes SL's & 5 BMW's. The Japanese are known for reliability, but the Germans win hands down for superior engineering & driving fun. I am shocked how much I continue to enjoy this GTI

Best Ever
By sunsetswan on 02/25/09 17:33 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have owned this car for 2 years now. This has been, overall, the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of vehicles over the last 40 yrs of driving. The quality is exceptional and the driving puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The fun factor and mileage make it a "10".

outstanding
By ksmith on 12/30/08 17:37 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is outstanding! I have a loaded 2 door model and have had it for 2 years. It's the best car I've ever had. People constantly stop me to ask me about it. It's comfortable and very fast. The mpg is consistent. There is surprisingly a ton of room in this car. VW has great cars and this one is top of the heap!

Serious Safety Problems
By Kriss Mellor on 08/25/07 15:10 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I owned my 2007 VW GTI for about 6 months and it's been in for repairs well over 2 months in total. The information center was defective. It took over a week to replace. Most serious problem could be related to the engine, transmission, turbo - don't yet know the source. The dealer can't identify the problem and VW tech support has been useless. Possibly related to heat, since it occurs most often when the temperature is high. As you step on the gas the car drops out of gear and will not respond. It feels like you are slamming on the brakes, according to my friend who was driving with me during one of these "seizures". This is a very serious safety issue. Car was bought back by the dealer.

My first car, the GTI.
By Mike on 06/26/07 16:13 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I did a lot of researching for my car and finally decided on the GTI. I wanted something fuel efficient, cool looking, fast, but not too pricey. Compared to any Honda (Civic, Accord), Mazda (3), Mini Cooper and Audi (A3), this car by far took the cake. Some of the best handling I've ever experienced. This is an extremely fun and fast car which has a very subtle look about it, but shines when you'd like it to. VW may not be on peoples' radar for amazing cars, but the GTI has my full backing 100%. This is easily the best investment I've ever made.

2007 Volkswagen GTI
By Jason on 05/24/07 14:10 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Great car! I take the long way to work every day for an awesome drive.

Great car, poor quality control
By Mixed feelings on 05/22/07 20:46 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Have had GTI for 2 weeks now. The air conditioning compressor "detonated" after two days requiring a complete system replacement and 5 days in the shop waiting for parts. Have had check engine light go on and off for no apparent reason twice since then. Other than that it has been great, good power and handling, great ride, nice, thoughtful features, though with room for improvement. The radio is great, as are the seats, front and rear. The power is nice, though there is a bit of torque steer. The DSG gearbox works best if you let it do itÂ’s thing. Sport mode is best for hills when engine braking is needed. Incredible brakes. Lovely headlights.

Fun to drive commuter
By Dave on 05/22/07 12:58 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I got out of my lease 2 years early with my Acura RSX due to technical issues with the suspension. Yes it cost me nearly $4,000 to get out of my lease but it was WELL worth getting this GTI. It is stylish in and out, comfortable and most of all FUN to drive!!! It's much faster then the RSX and the DSG transmission is silky smooth. Between the DSG tranny and the lack of turbo lag this car pulls hard until you can't go any faster without getting a ticket :)

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.