2007 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
It wins your heart!
By sal42 on 04/07/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my GTI new and it was my first car. I have loved it!!! It's been very reliable and fun to drive, as well as economical on gas, a great value. I have had no problems with the car and it has over 40,000 mi on it now. I am happy to have had this as my first car! I hope to keep it until it finally dies one day.

100,000 miles later and still a satisfied customer
By lilred2007 on 11/23/12 07:33 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new. It now has 110,000 miles on it (more highway than city) and it's been 100% reliant. All I've ever done is maintenance, oil changes, tires around 60K, brakes around 70K, a taillight. I had the a/c compressor just go out (around 95,000) and I just got the timing chain redone for piece of mind. The biggest pain really has been changing the air filter.

THE Hot Hatch
By codybrown on 08/10/12 06:55 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been pleasantly surprised by this car. bought it new so I could get a warrranty as I was not sure of VW quality. I now have close to 70k on it, and haven't had any problems. It's a blast to drive and gets good mileage (25 - 30+, depending on the type of driving I do). The manual transmission is fun to shift; I have tried several others since having this car, and they all seem cheap and clunky to me now. Definitely one of my all-time favorite cars.

Reliable, Great Value All-Rounder
By boba380 on 01/29/12 20:32 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Bought my 2007 4-door GTI as a CPO in 2009 with 35k miles. Have put about 20k miles on it in approx 2 years. Haven't had any issues with the car since owning it other than expected maintenance, also not with higher-than-normal tire-wear (even with an occasionally heavy right foot...). Car has leather, sat-nav, sunroof, DSG, sport steering wheel with controls, factory 18" wheels. Even now, the car's very nimble, snug seats and the direct steering feedback make it exceptionally great fun to drive! The folding rear seats make it roomier than expected (hello Ikea). The DSG shifts super-fast when accelerating, but displays lag during kick-down.Bad: old nav is slow, road noise, occasional rattle.

Fun for a price
By monkeykins on 12/15/11 05:18 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used in 2010. Selling it as soon as possible. I can't afford to keep sending it to the mechanic/fixing small things on the car. I've had two tail lights burn out, both the xenon headlights go out ($80 a piece), AC compressor, electrical problems, and now it seems the coil packs need to be replaced. It's a great car, and fun to drive, but I've had to drop it off almost every other month to get work done on it. Which wouldn't be as big a deal if the parts cost less than an arm+leg.

dont buy a gti
By lemongti on 06/07/11 20:35 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My 07 has less than 30,000 miles on it. Last week the transmission needed to be completely replaced luckily under warranty. Got it back and check engine light came on. Dealer said intake rotor motor needed replacing. Not under warranty and over 500 in parts and labor. The company sent an extended warranty on the camshaft because it has been found to wear out prematurely. I bought a new car in an effort to not get nickel and dimed on repairs. I guess I didn't get nickel and dimed they have all been major top dollar repairs. I will never even consider another VW or Audi or anything related.

FUN CAR WITH WORST ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
By saturn101 on 02/23/11 22:10 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

first owner, do service every 5K in dealer or respected shop... 30100miles, (right after service)fuel pressure sensor died on the road 200 miles away from home on a holiday.... 42000miles, power steering wheel and traction control lights on for 80% of driving time, 4 times to the dealer, 2 for diagnostics 2 for fixing, got fixed, first time for 15 mins before lights came on again, second time, better, 3 days... 50100miles, with those problems persisted, new problems came out, when those lights on, the power steering wheel would lose electricity for all buttons and pedals include signal lights, wipers... in the dealer for 8 business days and counting... bad luck, maybe, but lesson learned

Rally style Dunbuggy
By Great Fast dunbuggy on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Gti was the perfect car for me. I am a college student and I am more than likely always in a rush. The Gti has a great responsive clutch and the ability to grip the road better than most bmw's along side with the performance the maintenance was extremely high than most its competitives but I rarely had to take it to the shop. I drove the car from California to Georgia with no problems or issues the ride was comfortable and enjoyableI've had it for two years and the quality was good compared to others of that same year. I had little problems with the electronics like the iPod connector and the windows.

German feel and performance on a budget
By glm on 09/01/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Have had several Hondas, this is much more car for less money. Having read a few of these other reviews I guess that experiences vary, but I've had exactly 0 problems with this car after 3 1/2 years of "spirited" driving. Nothing. Nada. Oil changes, regular maintenance, and that's it. I will say that the handling is a bit disappointing, feeling a bit top heavy and with a bunch of understeer. The DSG is less amusing than I thought and it's back to a stick next time around. But, overall, great motor, good all around driver. Took it from upstate NY to Outer Banks and comfortable all the way. A set of Blizzaks and snow is no issue. Finally I agree with Consumer Reports.

GTI ist der fun!
By zenmoose on 08/25/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great design and drivability are the hallmarks of this sporty hatch. Mechanically it is still going strong as it approaches the 40K mark. The A/C failed, however, though it was replaced under warranty (took 2 tries!) Aluminum pedals are great, as is the premium stereo (after re-flash). Visibility out the back slightly poor. Biggest problem: 18" Huffs EAT TIRES! I have replaced numerous tires due to Pennsy potholes and had rims straightened once. Ouch! Buy a 17" wheel for the sake of the extra sidewall. Noisy rough ride just reminds you why you like to hang onto that fat padded wheel so tightly at speed. Great lines! I have thought about trading it when the warranty is over, but....

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.