2006 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: One drive and you'll buy it!

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

One drive and you'll buy it!
By Randy on

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife and I bought our GTI as a compromise since she hates manual transmissions. Get the SMG option and this car is PERFECT. I have been converted. The clutch pedal is now a dinosaur. This thing shifts faster and MUCH smoother than a standard shifter (note 0-60 is faster too with SMG). There is a fully automatic mode too. The car is very fast, has a buttery smooth engine and tranny, and is extremely comfortable (I have a bad back). Its handling is crisp and precise, great steering wheel feel. My previous car was a Mazda Miata, and this thing is even more tossable in corners and fun to drive.

SMG gearbox with paddles on steering wheel. Sport more in "automatic mode" is a dream, Seat comfort, unexpected roominess, gauge lighting, stability control, 6 airbags, highly adjustable arm rest.

The armrest flexes a bit in the fully extended position. The rear headrests feel a little too far forward. A bit of road noise, but may be tire related.