2006 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: My Wife Made Me Do It

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

My Wife Made Me Do It
By fgslr on

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was debating between getting the GTI and a Jetta TDI. I drove both, loved the fun, performance, handling, and DSG paddles on the steering wheel of the GTI. But really liked the idea of 45 MPG of the TDI. My wife drove both and said get the GTI, it's so much fun to drive, even at 53 you are too young for an old man car like the TDI. What can I say, I got the reflex silver, DSG, pkg. 1 GTI about a week later. After 2,500 miles I have no complaints at all, this is a great car. My car came with the heavy duty mats and hatch cover, people have asked where to get them as they are so useful.

I love the DSG transmission, I have had manual transmissions all my life, but have now been converted. The paddles on the steering wheel deserve meantion on their own, what a great way to shift! Many people say negative things about the stereo, however it only sounds bad in FM/AM mode, in cassette or satellite mode it sounds great to me.

The side bolsters on the cloth seats could be bigger (or I could be smaller!). The passenger airbag light could be dimmer or placed lower.