Great Car
By drew on
2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Well, I'll admit I never even test drove a civic si, or any other "competing" car in the same segment. I already know the GTI handles great, has very easy power (especially with mods), and that the looks were leagues ahead of other hatchbacks (interior and out.) I love the plaid seats, the subtle yet aggressive lines, and most of all the motor. With a 2 liter I'm making 260 wtq and 230 whp with just chip, exhaust, and intake. I find that more then enough for a daily driver and equal or better then any other stock hatchback out there. I've had only one problem with the car, an airbag light I got fixed under warranty. I've watched other hatchbacks come out, and am very glad I chose the GTI.
Favorite Features
Easily moddable engine, great chassis, love the interior and always get good comments on how nice it is inside. It also sort of puts you into a very hospitable community of VW diehard fans I never experience with other marques.
Suggested Improvements
Needs an LSD first, and with that it should come with more power stock. With just a chip these cars make a considerable amount of power/torque, proving just how detuned the motor is from the factory. I also would love to see an awd 2.0t gti/R20 (R32-esque). Could easily compete with the WRX.