Another GREAT GTI
By StephanGTI on
2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Having owned/bought 19 new cars, and being many different brands, the last 3 were GTIs (1995 VR6, 1999.5 VR6, and 2006.5) and for a good reason. Not much compares with the GTIs as far as being true "driver's cars" and when condidering the price of Audi, BMW, & Mercedes, nothing compares. The new GTI is another great evolution over the last. I thought I could never go without the VR6, but the new 2.0 proved me wrong; it has more / great power & torque, better gas mileage & a cool exhaust note. I'm getting 29+ mpg (combined 85+mph California freeways & stop & go). The stereo sounds great and the leather/Top Sport Seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.
Favorite Features
The styling in & out, power, sound of the engine, great quality interior - real aluminum trim. Leather is worth the cost since you get the Top Sport Seats. Since VW has so few aftermarket assessories, I did find Benevento sunroof & hood deflectors; love them and they work great.
Suggested Improvements
Why no rain sensing wipers or MP3 input on the new GTI when they are available on the Jetta & Beetle? The driver's seat belt is quite a reach. The seats don't always return to previous position. The sunglasses holder too small. I would like more interior & exterior color choices. I loved my 1999.5 Tropic Orange! VW has very few aftermarket parts.