2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
I Would Marry This Car If I Could
By chik_ricer007 on 04/05/06 17:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I drive my 2006 GTI on the weekends through the mountains and can really take the turns. The pickup is awesome too.

Lots of Fun
By TonyMontana on 04/02/06 20:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just traded in my '02 Passat GLS for a GTI, and oh man, is this bad boy fun to drive. The gear box seems a bit smaller than the Passat, so shifiting is a quicker. The car just boogies right from the get go. I can feel the power. It has lots of room up front, and doesn't feel as small as you would think looking at the outside of it. Its seats are nice and comfy. I don't think that I'd have a problem driving for long distances. I can't wait to get off work and drive some more.

Awesome car, BUT........
By John Y on 03/31/06 23:12 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This happens to be one of the most fun car to drive. I use it as a daily drive for work. And my commute is usually a 1 1/2hr commute through Boston traffic, and ever since I got this car, the commute is a whole new experience. The DSG is the best transmission i have ever driven. The Bi-Xenons are great, while the fogs adds little to barely noticeable lighting. I love the steering wheel also, and MFD (Multi-Function Display). The only negative things that I have to say about the car is the BUILD, it seems that there are just minor details that aesthetically are unappealing, more minor annoyances but dealable/fixable. Overall, I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

Excellent Car
By reducatione on 03/30/06 06:33 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought a new 2006 Volkswagen GTI. I came from a 2001 Audi TT. This car is very spacious, has quick exceleration, and comfy seats.

One drive and you'll buy it!
By Randy on 03/29/06 06:01 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife and I bought our GTI as a compromise since she hates manual transmissions. Get the SMG option and this car is PERFECT. I have been converted. The clutch pedal is now a dinosaur. This thing shifts faster and MUCH smoother than a standard shifter (note 0-60 is faster too with SMG). There is a fully automatic mode too. The car is very fast, has a buttery smooth engine and tranny, and is extremely comfortable (I have a bad back). Its handling is crisp and precise, great steering wheel feel. My previous car was a Mazda Miata, and this thing is even more tossable in corners and fun to drive.

Fun to drive
By Eric on 03/25/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is exactly what I thought it would be. It will turn heads with its 18" wheels. One recommendation is get the gorilla gear and GTI mats. Your fast is worth the extra $700. This is a great car, everyone should have one.

2006 MKV GTI
By Pat G. on 03/20/06 19:44 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has an excellent, smooth automstic transmission. The shift paddles provide an instant response. My radio is very good except for the volume limiter. It has good brakes and the car is rock steady at high speeds. All of the buttons are illuminated as is the great rotary moonroof control. It is a hatchback with headroom unlike many I won't mention. There is a wide field of illumination from the headlights. It gets the looks where ever ya' go. All for $23.000.

True GTI
By farhven on 03/20/06 14:20 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the GTI I've been waiting for. Its design stays true to what this car was suposed to be: fast, fun and funky looking. I've been into GTIs ever since they came out with their 1991 16V which kicked butt. I love the look of mine with the plaid inserts. The tranny is smooth and the throws are short. Love my metallic gray GTI!

A car that is worth owning!
By Chase on 03/19/06 16:44 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I owned an Audi TT 225 Q and I loved the car. However, after having owned a new GTI 2.0T, just like the Audi A3, I don't know why anyone would put forth the money for the Audi. The Audi, by comparison is cramped and expensive. When I purchased the TT, I didn't spring for the DSG transmission, but after having it in the VW, I never want another car without it. It shifts much faster than any manual I have ever owned. I loved the TT, but the new GTI is much more fun to drive and has a much lighter feel due to the electromechanical steering. This is an A3 for much less. It is definetely worth investigating. I agree with another reviewer here on this site, the stereo is cheap and not very good.

Best of everything
By m3arctic on 03/19/06 06:44 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I ordered this GTI with all the options, 18 inch wheels and factory navigation. It is a perfect car. It has plenty of power, build quality and the user interface with the navigation is incredible. The DSG transmision is superb, you can use the paddle shifters or you can let it shift by itself. Either way is just as fun.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.