Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

GTI is Here to Stay
By Ian

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love my GTI. It's nimble, tourqey, and comfortable. I get compliments from everyone! For the price, this car is in a league of its own. I was at first apprehensive about the plaid seats, but they have grown on me. The interior layout and build quality is top notch. And the rear seat is surprisingly roomy, two large adults fit back there with room to spare. My only complaint is that seats need a crank for reclining instead of the knob. Once I turn the ignition and take it on the road I forget about all the bad and simply love taking it fast around corners!

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual, rear hatch release, rear seat space, gas mileage (32mpg highway), sunroof, and satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

VW engineers need to improve the stereo and exhaust sound quality.

Perfect
By chris

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I absolutely love this car. DSG! WOW! The sport hatch is back. I went from driving a Honda back to a Volkswagen. There is no comparison unless you are straight line racing this car. The GTI is such a comfortable, roomy and well thought out car.

Favorite Features

The space in this powerful hatch is unbelieveable. There is a lot more room in the trunk than there appears from the outside. Plus the folding seats provide ample room unless you are hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood, but thats what you have friends with trucks for.

Suggested Improvements

The car is perfect. For the money you are getting a vehicle that performs like and has some of the ammenities of the glorified BMW's.

Junk
By Themistaken

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I do not not like anything about this car. I had it for one month and had to take it back. It was slow, the styling stunk, and the seats were uncomfortable. I am a huge VW fan. I race their cars on a touring circuit, and have two corrados, a '93 GTI, and a '97 Jetta, but this one by far is the worst that I have ever seen, sat in, and driven.

Suggested Improvements

start over

2006 VW GTI Nightmare
By kevin clinton

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2006 GTI in June. My vehicle is has less than 3,000 miles on it. I gave it to my son for doing well in high school and earning a college scholarship. On his first trip to school from Clearwater, FL to Florence, SC the A/C compressor cracked in half, backed off the enginge and shreded the belt. He made it as far as Orlando. The parts are back ordered three weeks. The mechanic at VW informed me that he has three Passats waiting for the same part. It appears to be a recall candidate, yet VW America denies any issues. I purchased this vehicle for piece of mind as my son's campus is about 500 miles away and it breaks down on first trip to school. VW's customer service has been terrible. Beware, 2006 GTI may be fun to drive, but it has problems.

Favorite Features

The interior cockpit is well layed out.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the known issues related to the A/C compressor.

My Fast
By Dennis

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in a Hummer H2 for this little GTI due to the recent fuel prices. I was only getting 11 mpg city and 15 highway in the H2. Also the H2 only has a 30 gallon tank. It was costing me an additional $300 dollars a month on top of the monthly payment. The GTI gets 24 mpg city and over 30 highway. My fast saves me over $2,000 dollars a year in gas plus I took a loan out for fewer years. My insurance went down as well.

Favorite Features

The handling is exceptional. The pick up feels like a V8.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the stereo with its distortion volume control. It adjusts itself if the volume is too loud. I like to play music loud and I don't need the volume going down when I want it up.