Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Not Again
By kyle clinton

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I received a new GTI for graduation. On my first trip to college with less than 3,000 miles, 6 weeks old, the compressor cracked and backed off the engine shredding the belt. This car stranded me 120 miles from home. My parents brought car back to VW to be fixed. The fix lasted five days. My parents attempted to drive up to my college and the compressor shut down again, this time 590 miles from home. My parents brought it back to VW again, now they are saying two weeks at minimum. This car only has 2000 miles on it. The Honda Civic Si is looking really good right now.

When it is running, it's a blast to drive.

Improve the quality, workmanship, reliability...should I go on.

GTI is Here to Stay
By Ian

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love my GTI. It's nimble, tourqey, and comfortable. I get compliments from everyone! For the price, this car is in a league of its own. I was at first apprehensive about the plaid seats, but they have grown on me. The interior layout and build quality is top notch. And the rear seat is surprisingly roomy, two large adults fit back there with room to spare. My only complaint is that seats need a crank for reclining instead of the knob. Once I turn the ignition and take it on the road I forget about all the bad and simply love taking it fast around corners!

The 6-speed manual, rear hatch release, rear seat space, gas mileage (32mpg highway), sunroof, and satellite radio.

VW engineers need to improve the stereo and exhaust sound quality.

Perfect
By chris

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I absolutely love this car. DSG! WOW! The sport hatch is back. I went from driving a Honda back to a Volkswagen. There is no comparison unless you are straight line racing this car. The GTI is such a comfortable, roomy and well thought out car.

The space in this powerful hatch is unbelieveable. There is a lot more room in the trunk than there appears from the outside. Plus the folding seats provide ample room unless you are hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood, but thats what you have friends with trucks for.

The car is perfect. For the money you are getting a vehicle that performs like and has some of the ammenities of the glorified BMW's.

Junk
By Themistaken

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I do not not like anything about this car. I had it for one month and had to take it back. It was slow, the styling stunk, and the seats were uncomfortable. I am a huge VW fan. I race their cars on a touring circuit, and have two corrados, a '93 GTI, and a '97 Jetta, but this one by far is the worst that I have ever seen, sat in, and driven.

start over

2006 VW GTI Nightmare
By kevin clinton

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2006 GTI in June. My vehicle is has less than 3,000 miles on it. I gave it to my son for doing well in high school and earning a college scholarship. On his first trip to school from Clearwater, FL to Florence, SC the A/C compressor cracked in half, backed off the enginge and shreded the belt. He made it as far as Orlando. The parts are back ordered three weeks. The mechanic at VW informed me that he has three Passats waiting for the same part. It appears to be a recall candidate, yet VW America denies any issues. I purchased this vehicle for piece of mind as my son's campus is about 500 miles away and it breaks down on first trip to school. VW's customer service has been terrible. Beware, 2006 GTI may be fun to drive, but it has problems.

The interior cockpit is well layed out.

Recall the known issues related to the A/C compressor.