Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Well, I Wanted to like this Car...
By MikeR

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my GTI in June, and I have had nothing but issues with it. The airbag light keeps coming on, which the dealer fixed twice. With the sunroof open, and the windows up, it sounds like a machine gun is being fired in the car...the wind noise is so loud, it is useless to even drive this way. The torque is nice to have down low, but on the highway, I have nothing left in the top end. I wish it had a little more REAL power up top. Also, the car makes a strange metal tapping/rattling noise up front somewhere, and the center dash rattles. All and all, this is what I have come to expect from VW, which is bells, whistles and a whole lot of buyer's remorse.

Favorite Features

This car has decent looks, good torque for city driving, but it is weak for open highway stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality control. I would take a few less features for some added craftsmanship. I thought the GTI MKV was going to be the next era in VW quality, but they fooled me.

I love my car
By erw

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the funnest car to drive for the money. It is the best on the freeway. Girls love this car, I get compliments all the time. I had one problem with a rattle but the dealership fixed it. I love how I can drive it way fast and aggressive or slow and easy and get great gas mpg around 34-38 mpg if I drive good.

Favorite Features

Everything, it's so fast, especially on the freeway. There is a ton of front and back seat room, and lots of trunk space.

Best car ever
By GTI for life

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2006 GTI with DSG. I love this car, it gets great gas milage, it is the funest car I have ever had, I can fold down the back seats and fit anything I need in it. The DSG is a must, it shifts faster than humanly possible, gets better gas mileage compared to the manual, and has been problem free for the entire 87000+ miles on the car. The only thing I don't like about the car is that I love it too much, ex. I always park far out in parking lots. This car has been 100% reliable, never has broken down and maintenance has been cheap.It is loaded with safety features which gives me peace of mind. I am going to drive this car to the grave and then buy another. I know someone who has 179Kmiles

Favorite Features

DSG, I use to be a manual guy but once I test drove a few I was convinced DSG. It out preforms the manual and gets better mpg and still gives you the ability to shift with paddles or the stick. My friend with 179k miles on his has a DSG as well. This car is also safe with airbags everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

None, every thing about the car feels solid especially when you drive and it sticks to the road like glue. I just wish I got the leather and climatronc AC since it makes the car seem like a $100k sport car. If I did it again I would get all the options since I plan on keeping this car forever.

Best Car I Have Owned
By chris

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is by far the best car I have owned. It's safe, I get about 30-35 mpg on the highway, and the car is quick out of the box. I did have mine chipped by GIAC and I am now in love with this car. The gas mileage is the same and it's a blast to drive. Also, I have yet to take it to the dealer for any warranty issues. VW has stepped up their quality big time from previous generations. This car brings me back to my first car which was a 1984 Rabbit GTI.

Favorite Features

The DSG transmission is great. This car has good build quality and provides a great bang for the buck in terms of performance, and interior quality compared to Civic SI and Mazdaspeed3.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more power to compete with Mazdaspeed3 and limited slip differential.

love, love, love this car!
By lilcoop

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

my first '06 GTI was unfortunately a bit of a lemon. i wrote a sad review titled love/hate relationship. we parted ways, and i subsequently drove 4 other vehicles in 9 months, but i couldn't forget the love i had for my GTI. so i gave VW german engineering another chance, and bought another '06 GTI equipped exactly the same as the first. i love this car! it has been totally reliable, required only routine maintenance (and the occasional recall stuff), handled long road trips and daily commutes with ease. it's a blast to drive in town and on the highway. i'm so glad i gave the GTI a 2d chance. i'm now a VW convert!

Favorite Features

seat warmers, seriously. cockpit layout - dials easy to read, not too cluttered. ergonomics - i'm short and everything is in reach.

Suggested Improvements

power seats would be sweet. maybe smaller synchros. maybe.