2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews 7

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
3,308 lbs of fun
By John from NJ on 05/24/06 21:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While only owning this car for about a month, I've had the opportunity to take a couple of 250 mile trips. On the interstates, this car is fairly civilized and comfortable; it's an absolute blast on the back roads. The exhaust note stirs the soul without being obnoxious. Driving around town sounds like it would be bothersome as my car is a 6-speed manual but, the gearing is such that you're only shifting to 3rd gear and possibly dropping it in 5th if you can cruise. This car is considered by some to be expensive for its class. I feel that you get what you pay for. What I paid for is a very well made, fun to drive, economical and well thought out car.

The hottest car I've ever owned!
By Redlinez on 05/24/06 08:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought it on 5/17 and the only thing I'm unhappy about is having to wait so long for lunch and to go home! I don't know what it takes for some of you to rate a car highly, but this is the best vehicle I've owned out of 30. It has unbelievable handling, a superb interior, it's full of features, and I got 26 mpg on the first tank. This car has that intangible "right" feel like no other. Its power is an absolute blast, it's fun to embarrass other cars that cost quite a bit more. Its suspension tuning is spot on. It has safety features are everywhere. I felt drunk the first few days of ownership. I also considered the Civic Si sedan, but couldn't wait and 129 lb. ft. of torque won't cut it for me.

BP's GTI review
By big papa on 05/23/06 14:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The gTI is a sleeper for sure. People are so suprised with this car's performance. Everyone thinks it's like a Sentra or Civic. No way, it's a tuner car for adults.

Luxury Fast!
By mes70 on 05/19/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded up from the Mark IV GTI to this fantastic car. In every way it's an improvement over the previous generation. I can't recommend this car highly enough. It feels like I'm driving a $30,000+ car. It has a buttery engine, super torque, and high quality refinement in the cabin. Hearing the engine pulse through the interior is a true highlight, as is the exhaust note. When you're not gunning it, the interior is so quiet. It has very little road noise. It's truly an escape after a hard day at work. For those that want some exciting get up and go with a refined, grown-up, classy interior, this is it. It gets my highest recommendation. Get in touch with your Fast.

2006 GTI
By Nick Walker on 05/13/06 14:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

On a closed track I have run my 2006 GTI 2.0 against the following. 2003 Subaru WRX. I beat it. 2006 Dodge Charger Hemi, short track, only about 1/8 mile, I beat it. 2006 Pontiac GTO short track, I beat it. 2006 Pontiac G6, long track, I beat it. I know the GTO and Charger should have beaten me but it comes down to the driver as well. I have driven all of the above cars and mine is the easiest to drive as well. Only thing I don't like about my GTI is that the shifter feels a little sluggish. It has no problem shifting, but it doesn't have the crispness that the short shifter in my Acura had. Overall, this is an outstanding car. I haven't been beat yet!

VW's Stealth Sports Car
By JohnC on 05/11/06 10:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my GTI in January when I sold my 2000 Passat. This is a very fun car to drive, it gets great mileage, and I can fit my bike in the back. I'm lucky to have a very good dealer to deal with when service is needed.

GTI Five Fast and Solid
By fastbackwards on 05/10/06 14:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently tried all the small cars around, and no kidding, dropped in a VW dealer because they had Acuras, and the Audi A3. I drove the GTI, and it smoked everything. It has great practical space, tighter handling, shorter braking, and is faster. I was in the market for an A3 or similar, but based upon first test drive, and the better fuel efficiency, I bought my GTI on the same day. I got a Black Pack 2 with DVD Nav. Absolutely everything about its performance is perfect, the ergonomics are a 10, handling a 9, Braking a 9.5, it has tons of features, and fit and finish are a 10. But the speakers are rather lackluster. They sound shrill in the mid-range. Of course the DVD NAV is great, but the DVD Nav warning stinks.

Awesome car for the Money
By aws on 05/08/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had been waiting for this car to hit the US market for 3 years, when it was finally here I bought the first one I could find. 2 months later, I couldn't be any happier about my purchase. This car handles exceptionally well, is super fast, looks great, and fits into just about any parking place too! Its interior is spacious, and well laid out, with nothing goofy or cheap looking. Driving it is truly a thrill, period. Basically it puts a huge grin on my face every time I drive or even think about my GTI. Then when I think about how little I had to spend to get a car that makes me so happy, I'm even more thrilled. Kudos VW! Great job, just wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Back to its Roots
By robd on 05/08/06 15:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This new GTI is everything the hot hatchback should be. It's quick off the line, has plenty of room and usability, is incredibly fun to drive, and gets pretty good gas mileage. I traded in my '02 Jetta for this car, and went from a true manual to the new DSG transmissoin, but couldn't be happier. The new transmission is what got me interested in this car, and I have to say it has all the benefits of both manual and auto trannies, and no drawbacks. The new styling is splendid, and the plaid interior makes you get in and say "I love this car"

An Awesome Car to Drive
By Clemens on 04/30/06 19:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is by far one of the best I have driven in a long time. It's super fast and gets good gas milage.