2006 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2006 GTI Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Sort Reviews by

Best GTI Yet
By Eli

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The new Volkswagen 2.0T GTI is the best hatchback and the best sports car in it's class. The features that are standard are luxurious compared to other coupes / hatches. Its s DSG gearbox is faster than any manual transmission in the world, and the torque is amazing. The GTI is very quick and handles superbly. This car is absolutely amazing for its price.

Favorite Features

The DSG gearbox, air conditioned glovebox / armrest, and xenon HID's.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the car half an inch and it would be perfect.

Don't buy the Civic Si, think Autobahn!~
By TeknoGroover

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So I've had my 2006 Volkswagen GTI for less than a week now and love it! I went to go test drive it, not even thinking of buying it. I just did some research that day too. I was shopping for the Subaru WRX and Civic Si for a while, and then found the GTI. WOW. The power is comprable to the WRX. It has more features and more room to be comfortable too. The standard 6- Disc MP3-CD Player in Dash was a major thing for me since I listen to only MP3 CDs. Then I wanted the power, which I talked about. Yeah 2.0 Turbo 200hp. I'm used to Hondas, but this is a fairly good transition. I highly recommended the GTI as a teenage car. It has plenty of head room in front and rear!

Favorite Features

I like how it has plenty of head room, is fast, smooth through dips, has headlight washers, has a MP3 CD player, turbo, steering wheel controls, personalized car settings with the steering wheel controls, good enough hatch space, the doors open very wide, an air conditioned glove box and center console, and auto-balancing Xenon HIDs.

Suggested Improvements

Put wipers on the headlights, not just a spray. Make the exhaust louder.

Pure Fun
By delf

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my wife's car and i want one! She was driving a 2005 Toyota Sienna van, which is great for a big family but not for tooling around LA. This car is really well built - go VW! The paddles on the wheel rock, plus the tiptronic too. It is great to have the hatchback feature. We also looked at the Audi A3 with the same engine, but opted for the GTI.

Favorite Features

The exterior, paddles, handling, and how it hugs the road.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a turbo diesel and 4 wheel drive.

WEEEEEEEE
By Bob Heiner

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2006 Volkswagen GTI has been great so far. The DSG transmission is a kick in the butt. Thou it is winter here and I can't get a real chance to let it all out, the car seems to handle great even with the all season tires. Come on summer.

Favorite Features

The turbo motor and DSG transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

This Car Absolutely Rocks
By tom baiza

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have in all my life never driven a car that is as much fun as my new GTI. I am 27, so I have had the opportunity to drive a few. The acceleration, handling, and above all else DSG are amazing. Point blank this automatic is by far the best thing on the market today. Don't believe me? Go drive one, but be prepared, after driving one of these babies you'll never want to get back in your old car. So make sure you have your checkbook!

Favorite Features

DSG, DSG, DSG. I have owned no automatics in my life. I've had six other cars, all of which had 5-speeds. I am converted. Never again will I drive anything but DSG. Oh, and it is really nice to have xenons, it really puts a nice look on the front of the car.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would suggest, would be a bigger gas tank. That way I would be able to stay behind the wheel for longer periods!

Amazing Car
By Brock Harrison

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Volkswagen and I didn't think VW was going to be able to make a better car than my 2001 Jetta, but I was so wrong. The new GTI is amazing! It handles like it's on rails, it is super quick with almost no turbo lag, and has the best interior ever. The seats are comfy and secure you like you were straped into them with a 4 point harnesses. The xenon lights, that come standard, brighten the road extremely well. The brakes and suspension are amazing. It stops on a dime and you never get the feeling that you aren't going to stop in time. The suspension rides so comfortably but handles so well in turns. Honda you better watch out!

Favorite Features

The 2.0 turbo engine is amazing. It has almost no lag from the turbo and in 6th gear it feels like you are in 4th. I love the xenon headlight with washers that come standard on all GTIs.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo system needs to be amplified. The 10 speakers are nice but just need to have some more power. When turned up too much the stereo clipps.

First Time GTI Owner
By nomad

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just got my 2006 Volkswagen GTI last weekend. Its interior space and torque are very impressive. Its exterior style kinda' grows on you, with the red calipers black is the best color. I don't have much of an opinion on its perfomance as I'm still breaking it in.

Favorite Features

The standard equipment, i.e. xeon headlights, trip computer, 2.0L turbo engine, mfd, and red painted calipers!

Suggested Improvements

The "passenger airbag off" warning light is overbearing at night. Solution: get rid of it.

Volkswagen GTI is Hot for 2006
By scooter j

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I test drove the 2005 Volkswagen GTI and the purchased the 2006 model. There is no comparison between the two. The new GTI is twice the car, it's a lot smoother, has no no turbo lag, and runs at lower rpm with its 6-speed manual transmission. It is just a great car!

Favorite Features

The 6-speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Pocket Rocket
By Franklinh

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Volkswagen GTI and I must say they get a bad rap on the speed and handling sides. With a straight (no cat) exhaust system and a set of TEIN coils I'm able to hustle Nissan 350Zs and stock Honda S2000s to the point of spin in the moutians. All while being able to clock repeatable 14.4s @ 94 mph at the local drag strip. Try to find that elsewhere with heated seats and 150 mph stability in other cars for $350 a month.

Favorite Features

The T U R B O! I also like the dial for the sunroof and infinitely variable level controls for the HVAC.

Suggested Improvements

Please give me an independent suspension, I'm tired of spinning out when the road surface gets bad.

Great Car
By KJ Rutherford

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 2006 Volkswagen GTI is great to drive, quick off the mark, finally capable of keeping up with the Opel OPC, has a smooth ride, and great comfort. You have got to love German engineering.

Favorite Features

The leather trim and "power on tap." This is a great overall car.

Suggested Improvements

1st gear a bit "hard"