2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Over 40? The GTI's still for you.
By flubs on 03/17/06 10:23 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you were old enough to own and drive an original GTI in '83 and think you're too old now and should drop more money on an Audi or the like, think again. This car is all grown up like you, but still retains its frugal blend of practicality, performance and sublimer. Sure the ad campaigns are geared for a younger demographic, but don't let that deter you from getting what you really want for such little money. After a terrible day at the office, at least you get to drive home!

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Art on 03/15/06 01:10 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Before I drove small BMWs but grew tired of their narrow interiors (I am 6.6 ft. tall). I was amazed by the GTIs spaciousness even on the back seats. And once driven I was hooked. Perfect steering, enormous power and the most fun to drive gear unit ever (DSG). Plus the GTI omits the shriekness of most other hot hatches.

Love my first brand new Volkswagen GTI
By turboveedub on 03/12/06 07:14 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Since I was young, my dad always has driven a Volkswagen. As I got older his passion turned into my passion for VWs, espicially the golf. I've owned a 1987 4 door golf, a 1985 Jetta, a 2000 gti vr6, and now the new 2006 gti. I can't express how satisfied I am with my new car. I traded in my 2000 vr6 for the 2.0t and had doubts, not anymore. The car is absolutely everything I wanted , from the fit and finish to the performance, it is awesome. VW has come a long way and finally did it right once again.

VW, you hit it right on the nail!
By Hesham Emara on 03/10/06 23:59 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you're looking for a "hot hatch", look no further. This is it! I've test driven just about everything it its class: The new Civic Si, the Mini Cooper S, the Acura RSX Type-S, you name it. Nothing impressed me like the new GTI. It's real solid and the steering feels very connected. In my opinion, DSG will revolutionize automatic and manual transmissions. My only bad experience was the rattling from the passenger side just a few minutes after taking delivery! Thankfully, my dealership was able to pinpoint and fix it within 1 hour.

I Looove German Engineering
By MachSchnell on 03/10/06 22:15 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning a 2003 MINI Cooper S, I can honestly say that there is no comparison between my new GTI and my "old" MINI. The Super charger in MINI definitely had some lag in it but not so with the Turbo in the GTI. The interior quality of the VW is in a far superior class. If the track is where you plan on spending a majority of your time than the MINI is probably the car you want... but for real world driving the GTI is the better choice. The passenger seating is another area where the GTI outclasses the MINI. The GTI is cavernous in seating and hauling accomodations by comparison. If you love shifting gears and the sound of a highly tuned engine winding up it's Turbo than look no farther.

WOW! What a Great Little Car
By Mike on 03/05/06 21:27 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Coming from a VR6 I was expecting the Turbo engine to be disapointing but that was not the case. The 2.0T engine in my new GTI is the best engine ever! It provides the perfect blend of a VR6 and the 1.8T! It is sporty and luxurious all at once!

2006 - GTI 2.0T
By Jon on 03/03/06 21:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a really nice car. It has a strong motor, is really responsive, and is well built. It only lacks in one area, the stereo isn't anything special, it's tinny and has no quality. Other than that this car is awesome.

The GTI is finally back!
By Sean Spurlock on 03/02/06 09:11 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For any of you who have owned an older GTI like me (less an MKI or MKII), then you probably loved your car, but always felt something was missing. The MKV eliminates any hard feelings from the past! This car drives, handles, looks, and feels the part of a true sport coupe...all the while having the fit and feel of a German car. There is truly no comparison in overall cost-effective driving enjoyment to the new GTI. Japan simply can't match the driver interface and dynamics that the Germans can produce. Hurrah to VW for getting the GTI back on track...figuratively and litterally!

Great Little Car
By zappa on 02/25/06 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just picked my GTI up and I love everything about it! I drove a few cars before deciding in this one, including the Honda Civic Si, Mazda3, Scion tC, and Subaru WRX. Each one had things that I liked, but the GTI had it all. It has great acceleration and handling and lots of room for your stuff. I love the stereo. It comes with tons of standard features. The other cars felt kinda cheap in comparison.

Loving This Car So Far
By onthevirg on 02/19/06 23:10 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I shopped around, and the Volkswagen GTI seemed to offer the best bang for the buck as far as features and options are concerned. I had a 2002 Turbo Beetle, but this car is much more fun to drive and more comfortable to boot. It has no turbo lag, tons of torque, handles well, and interior is very nice. I like having the 6 speed transmission to run on the freeway at much lower RPM's. I only have 250 miles on it so far, so my initial impressions are all positive, except for the stereo, which lacks bass on the low end. The Monsoon sound system in my Bug sounded much better. The steering wheel they threw in this car is nice too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.