Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

love, love, love this car!
By lilcoop

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

my first '06 GTI was unfortunately a bit of a lemon. i wrote a sad review titled love/hate relationship. we parted ways, and i subsequently drove 4 other vehicles in 9 months, but i couldn't forget the love i had for my GTI. so i gave VW german engineering another chance, and bought another '06 GTI equipped exactly the same as the first. i love this car! it has been totally reliable, required only routine maintenance (and the occasional recall stuff), handled long road trips and daily commutes with ease. it's a blast to drive in town and on the highway. i'm so glad i gave the GTI a 2d chance. i'm now a VW convert!

seat warmers, seriously. cockpit layout - dials easy to read, not too cluttered. ergonomics - i'm short and everything is in reach.

power seats would be sweet. maybe smaller synchros. maybe.

windshield cracks
By maj

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle has had 3 cracked windshields in less than 2 years, and we can't see where anything hit it causing the crack. What we have seen is the crack occurs in an unusual pattern each time, in a 90 degree angle, looking like an "L" shape. The dealership says it's a coincidence. We disagree. Even the dealership says they haven't seen this pattern of crack before but they deny it has to do with the window shield frame or the installation pattern. We are sick of dealing with this and are worried that this is going to affect our premium for insurance.

VW needs to find out what the problem is and fix it!

youth mobile
By JJD

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My third gti and this one is the best by far, fun to drive my three kids fit in the back very nicely. Only car I have owned that makes you want to drive and I have had them all.

Bi zenons, engine, styling, performance

Getting 35 mpg there is no way more like 28 mpg at 78 mph and 22 in town, who drives 60 mph on the hi-way, that is the only time I got 30 mpg.

Might as well buy one
By lschw

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got a 2006 GTI after my 2004 GTI was destroyed by lightning. I don't like the non-linear response of the turbo, but after two years and 16,000 miles I no longer care. This GTI is more powerful, faster, and much roomier than before. Gets 23mpg in town and the low 30s @ 75mph with cruise. In mkIV GTIs the ESP (traction control) would slam on the brakes at the worst possible time. No longer. VW has transformed ESP into cornering ecstasy. Take a corner too fast, it scrubs off perfectly. Step on the gas in high speed corners, some wheels accelerate and some brake, the car digs in, and away you go. Only a computer can calculate and respond fast enough to do that. Just amazing!

Go with DSG if you just can't handle a stick, otherwise get the 6-speed manual, its great. The independent suspension is a major advancement. I took my GTI on a 3,600 mile road trip that was more pleasant than any long trip I have taken in any auto. The GTI's ergonomics and amenities are top notch.

Get rid of ridiculous stereo governor that turns down the volume when it thinks its too loud, even though it is not! More knee room under steering column. Busy gauges subscribe to today's trends rather that keeping the beauty and readability of the mkIV dashboard.

German Engineering
By Matthew

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my GTI. It gets good gas mileage. I usually average about 24 mpg in city/highway driving, and I'm not easy on the throttle. Got over 27 mpg going from IL to Dallas TX with an average speed of 70 mph. The power of the 2.0T is amazing. It pulls even from 6th gear, as long as it's in boost. I can't wait to get APR Stg 2+. I should be looking at around 240whp and 270wtq or around there. I always find an excuse to take the long way home, this car is addicting. Even with all of the TSBs, a few recalls, etc., I still love my GTI. Good job VW!

HIDs, Vag Com tweaks, R32 spec tailights (not stock on US spec GTIs), tuneable engine, most of the things I have added; cosmetics, suspension, rims, downpipe, intake, flash, boost gauge.

Fewer TSBs! I've had my car in for the speedo TSB, fuel line rattle, radio clipping, other small rattles, the door jam icing TSB. I've only had one check engine light from the intake flap motor. If this vehicle had less dealer visits, it would be all the better.