2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
love, love, love this car!
By lilcoop on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

my first '06 GTI was unfortunately a bit of a lemon. i wrote a sad review titled love/hate relationship. we parted ways, and i subsequently drove 4 other vehicles in 9 months, but i couldn't forget the love i had for my GTI. so i gave VW german engineering another chance, and bought another '06 GTI equipped exactly the same as the first. i love this car! it has been totally reliable, required only routine maintenance (and the occasional recall stuff), handled long road trips and daily commutes with ease. it's a blast to drive in town and on the highway. i'm so glad i gave the GTI a 2d chance. i'm now a VW convert!

I love my GTI!
By getch74 on 07/29/10 12:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2006 GTI with DSG in March 2009 and have loved every minute of driving it. The power is great through the power band. It's not a great family car but I can fit two car seats in the back with no problem. The only issues I have is with the stereo and the lack of power seats. You would think they would have power seats and a better stereo in the car. But other than that it is great car and fun to drive. Plus if you do a few modifications you will be able keep up with some of the higher end sports sedans and pass the tuner cars. If you are looking for car with individuality, great performance, great styling, and good gas mileage the MKV GTI is your car.

Best car ever
By GTI for life on 09/01/09 23:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2006 GTI with DSG. I love this car, it gets great gas milage, it is the funest car I have ever had, I can fold down the back seats and fit anything I need in it. The DSG is a must, it shifts faster than humanly possible, gets better gas mileage compared to the manual, and has been problem free for the entire 87000+ miles on the car. The only thing I don't like about the car is that I love it too much, ex. I always park far out in parking lots. This car has been 100% reliable, never has broken down and maintenance has been cheap.It is loaded with safety features which gives me peace of mind. I am going to drive this car to the grave and then buy another. I know someone who has 179Kmiles

windshield cracks
By maj on 03/31/09 16:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle has had 3 cracked windshields in less than 2 years, and we can't see where anything hit it causing the crack. What we have seen is the crack occurs in an unusual pattern each time, in a 90 degree angle, looking like an "L" shape. The dealership says it's a coincidence. We disagree. Even the dealership says they haven't seen this pattern of crack before but they deny it has to do with the window shield frame or the installation pattern. We are sick of dealing with this and are worried that this is going to affect our premium for insurance.

youth mobile
By JJD on 11/07/08 17:35 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My third gti and this one is the best by far, fun to drive my three kids fit in the back very nicely. Only car I have owned that makes you want to drive and I have had them all.

Might as well buy one
By lschw on 03/07/08 00:36 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got a 2006 GTI after my 2004 GTI was destroyed by lightning. I don't like the non-linear response of the turbo, but after two years and 16,000 miles I no longer care. This GTI is more powerful, faster, and much roomier than before. Gets 23mpg in town and the low 30s @ 75mph with cruise. In mkIV GTIs the ESP (traction control) would slam on the brakes at the worst possible time. No longer. VW has transformed ESP into cornering ecstasy. Take a corner too fast, it scrubs off perfectly. Step on the gas in high speed corners, some wheels accelerate and some brake, the car digs in, and away you go. Only a computer can calculate and respond fast enough to do that. Just amazing!

I love my car
By erw on 02/29/08 20:10 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the funnest car to drive for the money. It is the best on the freeway. Girls love this car, I get compliments all the time. I had one problem with a rattle but the dealership fixed it. I love how I can drive it way fast and aggressive or slow and easy and get great gas mpg around 34-38 mpg if I drive good.

German Engineering
By Matthew on 12/12/07 15:30 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my GTI. It gets good gas mileage. I usually average about 24 mpg in city/highway driving, and I'm not easy on the throttle. Got over 27 mpg going from IL to Dallas TX with an average speed of 70 mph. The power of the 2.0T is amazing. It pulls even from 6th gear, as long as it's in boost. I can't wait to get APR Stg 2+. I should be looking at around 240whp and 270wtq or around there. I always find an excuse to take the long way home, this car is addicting. Even with all of the TSBs, a few recalls, etc., I still love my GTI. Good job VW!

Love/hate relationship
By lilcoop on 10/21/07 21:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my GTI from the 1st time I drove it. I even traded my BMW 330ci for it. I love my GTI, still, except I hate it when it doesn't run. Which is altogether too often. Unfortunately, I feel I have to let it go - there have been so many little bugs and repeated 'check engine' lights. It has 42k on it, and has spent 14 days in the shop for warranty items, in addition to regular service. I can't afford to come out of work to a car that needs to go for service or won't run. It makes me sad that it isn't reliable. I love my fast.

Great Car
By drew on 10/20/07 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well, I'll admit I never even test drove a civic si, or any other "competing" car in the same segment. I already know the GTI handles great, has very easy power (especially with mods), and that the looks were leagues ahead of other hatchbacks (interior and out.) I love the plaid seats, the subtle yet aggressive lines, and most of all the motor. With a 2 liter I'm making 260 wtq and 230 whp with just chip, exhaust, and intake. I find that more then enough for a daily driver and equal or better then any other stock hatchback out there. I've had only one problem with the car, an airbag light I got fixed under warranty. I've watched other hatchbacks come out, and am very glad I chose the GTI.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.