Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

love, love, love this car!
By lilcoop

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

my first '06 GTI was unfortunately a bit of a lemon. i wrote a sad review titled love/hate relationship. we parted ways, and i subsequently drove 4 other vehicles in 9 months, but i couldn't forget the love i had for my GTI. so i gave VW german engineering another chance, and bought another '06 GTI equipped exactly the same as the first. i love this car! it has been totally reliable, required only routine maintenance (and the occasional recall stuff), handled long road trips and daily commutes with ease. it's a blast to drive in town and on the highway. i'm so glad i gave the GTI a 2d chance. i'm now a VW convert!

seat warmers, seriously. cockpit layout - dials easy to read, not too cluttered. ergonomics - i'm short and everything is in reach.

power seats would be sweet. maybe smaller synchros. maybe.

I love my GTI!
By getch74

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2006 GTI with DSG in March 2009 and have loved every minute of driving it. The power is great through the power band. It's not a great family car but I can fit two car seats in the back with no problem. The only issues I have is with the stereo and the lack of power seats. You would think they would have power seats and a better stereo in the car. But other than that it is great car and fun to drive. Plus if you do a few modifications you will be able keep up with some of the higher end sports sedans and pass the tuner cars. If you are looking for car with individuality, great performance, great styling, and good gas mileage the MKV GTI is your car.

The over all power of the car. The styling of the car is perfect for me.

Add power seats and better stereo system. Other then that this car is perfect.

Best car ever
By GTI for life

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2006 GTI with DSG. I love this car, it gets great gas milage, it is the funest car I have ever had, I can fold down the back seats and fit anything I need in it. The DSG is a must, it shifts faster than humanly possible, gets better gas mileage compared to the manual, and has been problem free for the entire 87000+ miles on the car. The only thing I don't like about the car is that I love it too much, ex. I always park far out in parking lots. This car has been 100% reliable, never has broken down and maintenance has been cheap.It is loaded with safety features which gives me peace of mind. I am going to drive this car to the grave and then buy another. I know someone who has 179Kmiles

DSG, I use to be a manual guy but once I test drove a few I was convinced DSG. It out preforms the manual and gets better mpg and still gives you the ability to shift with paddles or the stick. My friend with 179k miles on his has a DSG as well. This car is also safe with airbags everywhere.

None, every thing about the car feels solid especially when you drive and it sticks to the road like glue. I just wish I got the leather and climatronc AC since it makes the car seem like a $100k sport car. If I did it again I would get all the options since I plan on keeping this car forever.

windshield cracks
By maj

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle has had 3 cracked windshields in less than 2 years, and we can't see where anything hit it causing the crack. What we have seen is the crack occurs in an unusual pattern each time, in a 90 degree angle, looking like an "L" shape. The dealership says it's a coincidence. We disagree. Even the dealership says they haven't seen this pattern of crack before but they deny it has to do with the window shield frame or the installation pattern. We are sick of dealing with this and are worried that this is going to affect our premium for insurance.

VW needs to find out what the problem is and fix it!

youth mobile
By JJD

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My third gti and this one is the best by far, fun to drive my three kids fit in the back very nicely. Only car I have owned that makes you want to drive and I have had them all.

Bi zenons, engine, styling, performance

Getting 35 mpg there is no way more like 28 mpg at 78 mph and 22 in town, who drives 60 mph on the hi-way, that is the only time I got 30 mpg.