2006 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
love, love, love this car!
By lilcoop on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

my first '06 GTI was unfortunately a bit of a lemon. i wrote a sad review titled love/hate relationship. we parted ways, and i subsequently drove 4 other vehicles in 9 months, but i couldn't forget the love i had for my GTI. so i gave VW german engineering another chance, and bought another '06 GTI equipped exactly the same as the first. i love this car! it has been totally reliable, required only routine maintenance (and the occasional recall stuff), handled long road trips and daily commutes with ease. it's a blast to drive in town and on the highway. i'm so glad i gave the GTI a 2d chance. i'm now a VW convert!

windshield cracks
By maj on 03/31/09 16:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle has had 3 cracked windshields in less than 2 years, and we can't see where anything hit it causing the crack. What we have seen is the crack occurs in an unusual pattern each time, in a 90 degree angle, looking like an "L" shape. The dealership says it's a coincidence. We disagree. Even the dealership says they haven't seen this pattern of crack before but they deny it has to do with the window shield frame or the installation pattern. We are sick of dealing with this and are worried that this is going to affect our premium for insurance.

youth mobile
By JJD on 11/07/08 17:35 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My third gti and this one is the best by far, fun to drive my three kids fit in the back very nicely. Only car I have owned that makes you want to drive and I have had them all.

Might as well buy one
By lschw on 03/07/08 00:36 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got a 2006 GTI after my 2004 GTI was destroyed by lightning. I don't like the non-linear response of the turbo, but after two years and 16,000 miles I no longer care. This GTI is more powerful, faster, and much roomier than before. Gets 23mpg in town and the low 30s @ 75mph with cruise. In mkIV GTIs the ESP (traction control) would slam on the brakes at the worst possible time. No longer. VW has transformed ESP into cornering ecstasy. Take a corner too fast, it scrubs off perfectly. Step on the gas in high speed corners, some wheels accelerate and some brake, the car digs in, and away you go. Only a computer can calculate and respond fast enough to do that. Just amazing!

German Engineering
By Matthew on 12/12/07 15:30 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my GTI. It gets good gas mileage. I usually average about 24 mpg in city/highway driving, and I'm not easy on the throttle. Got over 27 mpg going from IL to Dallas TX with an average speed of 70 mph. The power of the 2.0T is amazing. It pulls even from 6th gear, as long as it's in boost. I can't wait to get APR Stg 2+. I should be looking at around 240whp and 270wtq or around there. I always find an excuse to take the long way home, this car is addicting. Even with all of the TSBs, a few recalls, etc., I still love my GTI. Good job VW!

Love/hate relationship
By lilcoop on 10/21/07 21:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my GTI from the 1st time I drove it. I even traded my BMW 330ci for it. I love my GTI, still, except I hate it when it doesn't run. Which is altogether too often. Unfortunately, I feel I have to let it go - there have been so many little bugs and repeated 'check engine' lights. It has 42k on it, and has spent 14 days in the shop for warranty items, in addition to regular service. I can't afford to come out of work to a car that needs to go for service or won't run. It makes me sad that it isn't reliable. I love my fast.

Great Car
By drew on 10/20/07 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well, I'll admit I never even test drove a civic si, or any other "competing" car in the same segment. I already know the GTI handles great, has very easy power (especially with mods), and that the looks were leagues ahead of other hatchbacks (interior and out.) I love the plaid seats, the subtle yet aggressive lines, and most of all the motor. With a 2 liter I'm making 260 wtq and 230 whp with just chip, exhaust, and intake. I find that more then enough for a daily driver and equal or better then any other stock hatchback out there. I've had only one problem with the car, an airbag light I got fixed under warranty. I've watched other hatchbacks come out, and am very glad I chose the GTI.

Way too many small & stupid problems
By Vik on 04/04/07 17:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had so many problems with this car in terms of rattles that it's not even funny. In terms of engine, driving, fun factor, etc., it's great, but when you have to turn your stereo on every single time you drive just so you can drown out the sounds of the rattles, that stinks. I really like the way this car looks, handles and drives, but I have had way too many little problems with this car, noises, quirks, weather strips coming off, to ever want to buy a VW again.

Just what I expected and more
By drew on 02/21/07 17:12 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't really feel like typing out a long review, but I've owned an '03 GTI before this and the jump from a previous generation to the current generation is so substantial that it's as if they rebuilt the entire car from the ground up. The chassis' rigidity is superb and the motor is definitely worthy of the awards it has been receiving, both for around the town and even on a track. While this may not be a performer like the STi or Evo, it holds it's own quite well. If it's stock performance really bugs you enough, there are many tuner choices for just a simple ECU upgrade that pumps the car up ~50 horsepower and ~80 torque. I've no complaints with the car at all other than no lsd.

Fun, Fast, and Full of Smiles
By BLiaw on 01/07/07 05:55 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As a spare car in our garage, the GTI sees very little mileage (2,000 miles in our 8 months of ownership). Its build quality is exceptional for a vehicle of this price. There are standard features on this car which cost more on cars costing up to 2.5 times as much. It was against my better judgment to buy a 1st year model car, but problems have been minimal. Overall, this car has been a great buy for the money.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.