2005 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Great ride, but take a look at

2005 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

Great ride, but take a look at the 2006s
By Smoove on

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With the new models coming out, I got a great deal on a 2005 GTI 1.8T. This is a kick-butt car especially if you live in an urban area. It has a lot of fun to zip around narrow streets and into and around traffic. It's reasonably comfortable enough for long road trips and trips to the slopes/casinos, but practical enough for the daily commute and running errands. I've seen a lot of complaints regarding the gas milage and I have to agree. To be perfectly honest, this car is so much fun to drive aggressively that I think the poor gas milage could easily be attributed to the drivers. I'm coming up on 7,000 miles and the only issue I've had was the rear wiper stopped working...during a downpour no less.

I love the turbo charged engine, heated seats are key in New England, ESP for the rainy/icy roads gives me some piece of mind, the comfy sport seats, and the 17 inch alloys are slick too.

More power with less turbo lag, 6 speeds on the manual, an MP3 player, trip computer, mutlifunction steering wheel, and c'mon now fog lights are not an option!...Of course, all of these improvments have been addressed in the new 2006 GTI Mk V. I love the car, but am wondering if I should have waited.